Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2024, 14:39   #196

Re: How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)

11 years and almost 3 months and 1,69,000 km with my Nissan Sunny diesel and I'm planning to hold onto it for as long as I can. Interestingly, the 1,50,000 km milestone was reached within first 6.5 years. Now it gets used very sporadically. Never gave me any trouble ever.

> No squeaking or rattling noises anywhere. Although NVH is not the best, still runs smooth.
> Running on third set of tyres. The stock one lasted a whopping 91k km.
> I get it serviced once a year at multi-brand garages; costs between 5k and 7k.
> Still delivers an impressive fuel efficiency of around 18-19 kmpl in city and 22+ on highways.
on2wheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 16:49   #197
BHPian

Re: How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)

I agree completely.
My 2013 Duke 390 has now done around 1.4 Lakh kms with one major overhaul costing some Rs. 54k, but that's about it. With 44 bhp and 152 kgs wet weight, plus its also undergeared, running on a Duke 250's sprocket setup, its overall a reckless monster to ride on these small city roads (not that I ride it like that).

I spent around Rs. 1.98 Lakhs on road to get this bike in 2013. Today, you need to spend close to 4 Lakhs just to keep up, and even that bike will have to be heavier than mine.

Overall, the major reasons why I've had a hell of a time keeping my old bike is:-
1. emission norms changing 4 times in the last ten years,
2. general inflation, some of it due to post-corona boom too,

I'm getting BS3 performance in BS6+OBD era, plus the overall cost I'm sure has been in control. Combine this with the new bike's price crossing 4L, its possible to get a good resale too.
So, the advices given are true. Its always better to get one great vehicle.

Asset depreciation happens most in its initial years, which means once past its initial years, we start to lose lesser money.
Its always advisable to use 4-5 great vehicles, than to use 10 average vehicles in a life time. And late purchase is also adviceable, if its possible.

Last edited by Samarth 619 : 22nd February 2024 at 16:51.
Samarth 619 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 07:47   #198
BHPian

I had not seen this thread earlier, but I realise that I had gone with this idea when I got my Brezza.

When I was upgrading from my i10, I had my eyes on a slightly bigger hatchback. I was essentially looking at the Tata Altroz iTurbo to replace it.

It was my brother who convinced me that I'd outgrow the Altroz in five years, and that it would be better to get the bigger, more reliable car which would last longer.

So I ended up with the Brezza, which is much taller than the Altroz and suits my height perfectly. And which I hope to hold on to for a decade before upgrading. Realistically I don't need another car for another 10 years, unless government regulations force me to upgrade.
Small Bot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 17:42   #199
BHPian

Came across this thread today. Glad to know there are others who agree with this logic.
I upgraded from Alto (1st car 2005) to Fiesta D in 2007. Fiesta was fun to drive, was reliable. Checked few bucket list travels like Golden Quad etc in Fiesta
How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)-gq_180.jpg
How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)-gq_144.jpg
Sold Fiesta after 10 yrs, in 2017 with about 1.9 lac km on odo. There was no major repair, the Ford still retained OEM clutch. Had replaced front struts during its 8th yr, AC condenser and radiator fan when around 5+ yrs old.
2017 picked the Jeep Compass D.. absolute fun crossover. Already exceeded 1.25 lac KM on Jeep.
How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)-chitkul.jpeg
How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)-umling.jpg
How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)-tawang.jpg
Tawang
Attached Thumbnails
How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)-uk_mar2022_024.jpg  

Last edited by deepakdsz : 11th March 2024 at 17:46.
deepakdsz is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks