Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: ICE upgrade : Mahindra Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Yup, listen to the speakers first and then decide. They are sounding bright for sure. Today I tried changing the equalizer for mids also to around -3db and reduced high to -4db. Now it's tolerable. But there is one more thing to notice, the tweeters are mounted on the ORVM pannels and as I think in a Scorpio the distance from the ears is lesser than that of a Sedan.
I am going in for a flush mount of the tweeters this time no matter what happens. Will listen to the Morels and the Focals before I decide. BTW thanks for the heads up on the Diamond Audio D1's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk28 View Post
@rjstyles69 when you get a chance considering exploring Pioneer AVH-P3350BT or for that matter any of the Pioneer AVH series HU's. These are double din HU;s and real value for money.

I am planning to get one for my Swift.
kk28 thanks man, however the HU will stay for now. Only in stage two will I pick up a double DIN.
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I am going in for a flush mount of the tweeters this time no matter what happens. Will listen to the Morels and the Focals before I decide. BTW thanks for the heads up on the Diamond Audio D1's.
Welcome dude. Even I've heard that Focal polyglass are better component speakers and I actually wanted to go for them with Focal Solid 4 (sounds like Metal Gear Solid 4, a PS3 game ;-) ) but with my budget I had to stay with Diamond D1 and Rockford Fosgate Prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
kk28 thanks man, however the HU will stay for now. Only in stage two will I pick up a double DIN.
why do you need a double DIN except for the looks part? I think for the price of a decent double DIN you can get a better single DIN HU. (I'm not sure if the double DIN prices have come down these days)
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

This is how I had installed the component speakers in my Scorpio.
ICE upgrade : Mahindra Scorpio-i9559.jpg
Tweeters were flush mounted on the door and that worked out pretty well, in terms of looks as well as the way they sounded. Pity they stopped making Illusions... lovely speakers they were. I am still using Illusion Carbons, which are amazing. You could try Rainbow... heard a setup in a friend's car recently and they sounded pretty neat (brighter than Illusion, less than JBL). Don't remember the model number, but it was under 10k for the 2 way component set.
Old 26th May 2011, 23:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Lo and behold , last week this was delivered to my apartment in Houston .

1 > Hifonics Brutus Brz1200.1d Monoblock Amp

ICE upgrade : Mahindra Scorpio-amp.jpg

2 > Jl Audio C2-650 Component

ICE upgrade : Mahindra Scorpio-compos.jpg

Time to pay Satya a visit and get the install done. Am looking at an amp rack too , so need to plan the upgrade carefully before I start the install. Will keep you all posted.
Old 2nd December 2012, 14:01   #20
BHPian

Budget ICE in a Scorpio for a metalhead

I have gone through a few older threads but since ICE is such a dynamic market, I wanted to create a new thread. I will be getting a Scorpio SLE in the next few days and wanted to check my options for ICE'ing it.

Money crunch is a factor along with my tastes in music while deciding what best fits me.. So here goes..

Make - Scorpio SLE (8 seats - front facing last row)
Budget - 20k
(Restrictions are due to the fact that I may have to sell this vehicle in under 2 yrs and might not be able to use this ICE equipment in the next vehicle + also the money needs to be spent on other accessories as well)
I was thinking around 8k for HU and rest for speakers/wiring/installation.
Requirements - USB front slot, AUX in (perhaps iphone/ipod compatible, but not a deal breaker since I own neither..mainly for ppl who might be in the car with me) no need for video, but I WILL be playing audio cds and not just mp3/digital formats.

Music - I am a metalhead..so it is mainly traditional/80s heavy metal or thrash metal, some ambient/folksy metal, a bit of western/Indian classical instrumental, or guitar oriented instrumentals (Paco de Lucia, Al di Meola etc)

All in all it is 80% metal/guitar driven sound so I need my mids! (although a lot of thrash production has that scooped mids thing going on) and a bit of bass (since my budget doesn't allow a subwoofer)
Mainly my criterion will good sound quality at this price, don't care much about loudness etc.

My thinking is along the lines of going for front components and rear 6x9/coaxials in the rear (side) doors.
Is that possible on a basic/entry level HU and will it give decent enough sound quality? If yes, which products to go for and best places to buy them from...I might be expecting a lot but I am realistic too, and tbhp comes to the rescue usually, so hoping for replies on this. Thanks!

Last edited by Abhay : 2nd December 2012 at 14:03.
Old 2nd December 2012, 14:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re: Budget ICE in a Scorpio for a metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post

Make - Scorpio SLE (8 seats - front facing last row)
Budget - 20k
(Restrictions are due to the fact that I may have to sell this vehicle in under 2 yrs and might not be able to use this ICE equipment in the next vehicle)
I wonder why would one sell a vehicle in 2 years, but ICE equipment can be moved to your next vehicle.
You may need to revise your budget, please read http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...tml#post121447

Quote:
I was thinking around 8k for HU and rest for speakers/wiring/installation.
One can have entry/mid level HU from JVC/Pioneer having ports that you need along with 1 or 2 pre-outs. Check threads related to these manufacturers under product discussions.

Quote:
My thinking is along the lines of going for front components and rear 6x9/co-axials in the rear (side) doors.
If you are thinking of components, you will have to add an amplifier because HU will not have enough power to drive those components. If you don't want to revise budget, please don't look beyond co-ax speakers.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert in this area, just sharing my experience.
Please check ICE thread by 'noopster' for his recent ICE upgrade. I think, his music preferences might be similar to yours.
Old 2nd December 2012, 15:08   #22
BHPian

Re: Budget ICE in a Scorpio for a metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
I wonder why would one sell a vehicle in 2 years, but ICE equipment can be moved to your next vehicle.

If you are thinking of components, you will have to add an amplifier because HU will not have enough power to drive those components. If you don't want to revise budget, please don't look beyond co-ax speakers.

Please check ICE thread by 'noopster' for his recent ICE upgrade. I think, his music preferences might be similar to yours.

Thanks sukiwa for the pointers. Some threads seem to suggest that comps can be run w/o amp but they will be driven to their fullest only by amps. As for selling the car, I said 'might' :-) But there are some reasons (we can take those offline when we meet next - might come over to see you with the new ride!)
Old 3rd December 2012, 13:01   #23
BHPian

Why is my thread merged with this thread I have no clue. I don't see a direct relation between my query and this thread apart from both being Scorpios. OP for this thread did an upgrade and his budget for just an amp and comps is almost same as my whole current budget. Also no idea if musical tastes are similar either.

I guess my budget is too paltry or else there aren't any choices within that.
Old 3rd December 2012, 13:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

My friend had his scorpio iced with an Alpine CDE 100 HU, Hertz 6.5" comps in front and 6x9 ovals at the back - we had an MDF door pad made to fit the speakers. The whole thing cost 10K for the speakers, 8.5K for the HU, and 1.2K for the replacement door pad. If you find speakers are a bit expensive, get the JVC KD X40 (should cost 4.5K). Any Alpine/JVC/Kenwood HU should give you decent SQ, but alpine in my experience tends to have better output levels than the others - something you need to fill an SUV with sound. Else I suppose you could fit in an amp if you buy the JVC and extend your budget a bit

Last edited by greenhorn : 3rd December 2012 at 13:22.
Old 4th December 2012, 15:05   #25
BHPian

which brand speakers are those 6x9s? And did he fit them in the rear (last door) with a board? That sounds like a good option to me, but cannot get a place to really hear these things. Just been to Poona Motors and the only thing I could listen to was jbl stuff.
Old 5th December 2012, 13:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... might not be able to use this ICE equipment in the next vehicle ...
One can, usually.

Quote:
which brand speakers are those 6x9s? ... only thing I could listen to was jbl stuff.
One cannot fit 6x9 on the rear doors without substantial modification, but definitely on the 5th door with MDF.

JBL 6x9s are not bad. Perhaps you should listen to them in someone's car (any car) with *your* music. Maybe you could also audition Infinity Ref 6x9s, and maybe Polk, Auditor, Bull etc.
Old 5th December 2012, 14:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
which brand speakers are those 6x9s? And did he fit them in the rear (last door) with a board? That sounds like a good option to me, but cannot get a place to really hear these things.
Check this thread here how I have gotten the install done. Will give you a fair idea.
Now if you don't install speakers on the center doors, you wouldn't like it one bit if you are an audiophile and love your music. There will be something missing in the sound-stage and the 6x9's cannot make up for this.

It's possible to install speakers on the last door using MDF and it's on the link I posted earlier.
Old 6th December 2012, 17:30   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
One can, usually.

JBL 6x9s are not bad. Perhaps you should listen to them in someone's car (any car) with *your* music. Maybe you could also audition Infinity Ref 6x9s, and maybe Polk, Auditor, Bull etc.
I am aware of that, but what I meant was that there is a chance I might have to sell this vehicle and not buy a replacement in which to port the ICE to.
Hence the modest budget more or less.

Auditioning is a problem as I don't see shops having many options for demo apart from Pio/JBL. Recently did lsiten to my music in sukiwa's newly installed ICE (Focal compos et al) and that was good except being totally out of budget.

Will buying a cheap HU (say Alpine CD1xx or Pio 2590) with a 4ch amp and then components along the lines of Hertz and going for some half-decent coaxials in the rear doors be a good idea? And within 20-25k?

Last edited by Abhay : 6th December 2012 at 17:33.
Old 6th December 2012, 18:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Will buying a cheap HU (say Alpine CD1xx or Pio 2590) with a 4ch amp and then components along the lines of Hertz and going for some half-decent coaxials in the rear doors be a good idea? And within 20-25k?
I would recommend a Kenwood - they sound really good. Alpine definitely. Maybe even a JVC - there is one that has BT for 5-6K - someone has bought that recently, but I am not remembering who and where .

If you are not wanting a jhin-chak chilla chilla system, yes your budget should suffice for a good system. Audition you must, otherwise you will not know the sound signature and maybe disappointed later. If you find a good installer, cut a deal with him that you will buy after comparing in your car.

I would recommend trying out Infinity Prime or Reference (JBL dealer should have it), and compare it with sukiwa's system. Rear coaxes should anyway cost you <=3K. Couple that with a Kenwood 4-channel amp, and you should be getting what you want without straining yourself. Typically good components should come for 6-8K, round coaxes as I said <=3k, amp for 6K, some money for cables and labor, and you are all set.

The only problem I see with round coaxes in doors (vis-a-vis 6x9) is that they may leave you dissatisfied with a lacking low end.
Old 6th December 2012, 18:33   #30
BHPian

Cheapest Alpine head unit available in market does not have preouts for amp . So better take a headunit which has preout . I would recommend you to buy some decent headunit because if you are investing in amp , speakers then quality of source unit should be good so that money spent is worth .

Quote:
I am aware of that, but what I meant was that there is a chance I might have to sell this vehicle and not buy a replacement in which to port the ICE to.
Hence the modest budget more or less.

Auditioning is a problem as I don't see shops having many options for demo apart from Pio/JBL. Recently did lsiten to my music in sukiwa's newly installed ICE (Focal compos et al) and that was good except being totally out of budget.

Will buying a cheap HU (say Alpine CD1xx or Pio 2590) with a 4ch amp and then components along the lines of Hertz and going for some half-decent coaxials in the rear doors be a good idea? And within 20-25k?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks