Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2006, 04:27   #1
BHPian

What is DSP?

Whats Digital Signal Processor which also features in Pioneer Head Unit DEH-P9650MP
Old 23rd January 2006, 09:44   #2
Team-BHP Support

DSP has become as vague a term as PMPO!

A DSP allows one to process a signal in the digital domain instead of in the analog domain. the touted advantages are elimination of phase shifts, transient overloads, and lowered distortion and deviations.

In reality I am not sure if all these advantages usually apply. Some advantages are obviated by the A to D and D to A conversion, others by poor quality of parts, and a few others by just poor design of theDSP.

A DSP could be used to congifure a Equalliser, Crossover, Delay & Reverb, Compander, more than 2 channels of sound and more. Some HU have all of these built in. Ofcourse the longer the rope the easier it is to hang yourself.

In short dont be sold on DSP, PMPO, Class D or T amplification, christmass tree effects, or any such gibberish. The only thing that should sell you on a system or component is your ears. HOW DOES IT SOUND.
Old 23rd January 2006, 10:04   #3
BHPian

Hey navin thanks a lot man
Old 23rd January 2006, 13:49   #4
BHPian

DSP= digital signal procerssing

with DSP excellent sorround and other effects can created.
a good dsp HU will sound much much better than an ordinary HU.

i heard a kenwood mp3+cessate HU 160Pmpo*4 with DSP, well u have sorround effects even at FM stations. The over all effects and SQ were so good that i think it was much much better than an ordinary mp3 HU.

If i need to buy an HU and i have spare money i will definately go for good DSP HU.
Old 23rd January 2006, 13:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1101
DSP= digital signal procerssing

with DSP excellent sorround and other effects can created.
a good dsp HU will sound much much better than an ordinary HU.

i heard a kenwood mp3+cessate HU 160Pmpo*4 with DSP, well u have sorround effects even at FM stations. The over all effects and SQ were so good that i think it was much much better than an ordinary mp3 HU.

If i need to buy an HU and i have spare money i will definately go for good DSP HU.
yeah am deciding over 5750 or 7500 Pioneer HUi think 5750 has DSP so i wanted to know whats DSP exactly
Old 23rd January 2006, 23:09   #6
BHPian

DSP has become the boon and bane of the audio industry. Boon you know why. Bane because most of the world is used to this artificial sound and very few people want a Class A or tube amp.
Old 23rd January 2006, 23:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

So guys, whats ASL in Pionees systems? What does it do?
Old 24th January 2006, 12:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
So guys, whats ASL in Pionees systems? What does it do?
MY GOOGLE SAID-

ASL (Auto Sound Levelizer)
DSP (Digital Signal Processor, replaces EEQ)
EEQ = equaliser
Digital LPS (Listening position Selector)
LPS = low pass filter
BMX (BiMetric Equalizer)
SLA (Source Level Adjuster)

ASL also = age sex location but for pioneer it means Auto Sound Levelizer.
i m not sure wats it but it seems to be an optional setting which is meant to reduce volume to a safer level or so and to level out the freq. responce
Old 24th January 2006, 12:52   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis
DSP has become the boon and bane of the audio industry. Boon you know why. Bane because most of the world is used to this artificial sound and very few people want a Class A or tube amp.
If ur planning to make one , rest assured im in .. Heck why not if ur gifting it .. Just make sure its as hatke as the CCTB .. Also get it patented ..
Old 24th January 2006, 12:53   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey vivek you could make a Class A tube amp! it aint that diffcult except the power supply part!
Old 24th January 2006, 12:59   #11
Team-BHP Support

Almost every music player capable of playing digital signal has DSP, ie Digital Signal processing.
Now in digital or computer domain, everything is represented by 0 or 1, ie digital. So in case of recording you will use a A-D convertor to convert your signal to that. Then you can use a Digital signal processor, like the ones TI makes or a generic processor with DSP software to modify/enhance the sound.
the reverse is done in case of playback from a digital source such as mp3.
Its not rocket science and costs 10$ for a high end DSP chip.
Old 24th January 2006, 13:32   #12
BHPian

[SIZE=2]DSP or Digital Signal processor is a dedicated processor to perform complex math operations used in audio/video/speech processing. Gone are the days when hardware filters, equilizers cross overs were used.. all these operations + processing of encoded audio discs (MP3), DVD are perfomed in one tiny processor. To do all these operations accurately and many times simultaneously with very minimun loss of quality in real time, processors need highly dedicated logic, memory handling, capable of handling various tasks simultaneously and more imp consume least power and dissipate less heat in doing all this . This is where a DSP has an edge over general purpose processors. These days you see so much media capability in a headunit like AM-FM radio, audio cd, dvd playback etc to do all this and give crystal clear performance and rich features like audio presets, equilizations etc.. manufacturers go in for dedicated media processors called DSPs sometimes these DSPs are application specific to the product. All these features are implemented in software or firmware ( as we call it) running on DSPs. Usually These DSPs may or may not work in conjunction with a normal processor which perform trivial functions like capturing audio ,video, from reading from devices etc..The added advantage is the overall cost of the system comes down as there are not so many dedicated hardware parts used and ease of manufacturing and upgradation..just download a new firmware on to the chip and you have better added features ( this is what manf companies do) but the underlying hardware is basically the same...In the future you can expect to see TV reception on headsets, even phone functionality built in to the headsets...such is the power of a humble DSP.[/SIZE]
Old 24th January 2006, 13:40   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Hey vivek you could make a Class A tube amp! it aint that diffcult except the power supply part!
I have an Elektor EL34 amp (not Class A) circuit. It looks good but as I said to you in the PM, getting the tubes is difficult enough. Where do I go for the transformers?

PS: This thread is taking us back in time. From DSP to tube amps.
Old 24th January 2006, 16:18   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have an Elektor EL34 amp (not Class A) circuit. It looks good but as I said to you in the PM, getting the tubes is difficult enough. Where do I go for the transformers?

PS: This thread is taking us back in time. From DSP to tube amps.
OPTs from Singapore. Power from www.torroidal.com. I am still in need of 2 100nF / 630V and 2 10nf 2KVA capacitors. Any idea where to find these?
Old 24th January 2006, 16:24   #15
Team-BHP Support

I remember buying high capacity high voltage capacitors for ionizer I was making. Are available in SP road bangalore

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks