Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2013, 00:33   #31
BHPian

Re: DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functional

Given that I acquired an old model (2011) fortuner, and a new PA20-TOY is out (which is supposed to work with car audio with navigation), I wonder if anyone can advice me if I should stick to PA15-toy or try PA20-toy (price-wise they almost being the same)? Any other option do I have (these iPod connectors are costing more than iPod)?
Old 31st May 2013, 09:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
if anyone can advice me if I should stick to PA15-toy or try PA20-toy
For the Fortuner 2011 it would be better to stick to the PA15-TOY because it is listed as the compatible model. Try entering model as Toyota 4 Runner 2011 as the similar model (as Fortuner is not available in the states) and you will find this result. You may also try the BT35 TOY which has bluetooth also built in and it should also be compatible with the Fortuner. I might also sell my PA-15 TOY as I might upgrade my entire ICE soon to a Blaupunkt New York 800 head unit.
Old 31st May 2013, 19:14   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
For the Fortuner 2011 it would be better to stick to the PA15-TOY because it is listed as the compatible model.
Thank you dkaile, I don't think I'd get any additional benefit with PA20-toy, so will save a few bucks. The next dilemma is for Rs 7000, can't I get a mechless (solid state only) HU which supports iPod (I have a DSX-S200X in my other car) that'll serve equally well?

But a second hand PA15-toy may sound like a good compromise :-) if you're selling off yours soon enough, kindly PM me once.
Old 4th August 2013, 15:53   #34
BHPian

Inspired by this thread (and especially by @dkaile) I finally took the plunge. Bought USA-SPEC PA15-TOY from Amazon. At current price of $125 and conversion rate, it would have been possible to procure a new head unit that can play CD/USB/AUX and even perhaps provide iPod connectivity. However, wanted to preserve the OEM look & feel. Shipped to a friend in US, and another friend brought it back. Here is the package opened up:
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-pa15toy_1.jpg
As already noted in the thread, the installation is a few minutes job. Actually you do not need to unscrew the car stereo unit also. Once the front panel opened up, you can take your hand back to the stereo, feel the free slot and connect the corresponding connector. Attached the PA15-TOY using double sided 3M tape on an inside surface next to the glove box.

Only task remained is how to bring the cable back to the cabin, so that the iPod is easily accessible (in case need to press a button), safe (out of sight) and is not a hazard (not dangling near the controls).

Since I have an old generation iPod Nano, a brainwave struck! We never use the ash tray (quit smoking long ago), and the size is probably right to accommodate one. So brought the cables in through the ash tray slot. Because of the bulge of the cable on one side, had to file the hole on the metal flap a bit bigger. Now I have iPod (and an additional aux cable, just in case) in the tray:
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-pa15toy_2.jpg
Looking closer:
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-pa15toy_3.jpg

My estimation was almost correct. There is just enough space to fit the iPod (obviously wouldn't have been possible with even older iPod or iPod touch though) and the aux cable in the tray. Need to be a little careful to fold/wrap everything in that tight place, but that's a rare exercise. Unless new songs to be downloaded or playlists to be modified, it can stay inside:
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-pa15toy_4.jpg

Still then, because of the inflexibility of the PA15-TOY's cable, it doesn't fold really sharply, and the tray is not 100% shut. Well it is good enough, just a little bit of cable is visible. I have not tried hard, but I believe one these days with a little bit of wiggling I can securely shut the ash tray:
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-pa15toy_5.jpg

It is working as expected. Playlists, ID3 tags, steering controls, pause when ignition off, everything just work flawlessly. I have several high-bit rate MP3 in the iPod and they sound really really good

(PS. Please forgive picture quality - taken by phone camera)

Last edited by kousik : 4th August 2013 at 16:04. Reason: (typo correction)
kousik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 14:11   #35
BHPian

Re: DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality

Hi,

I have the same stereo in Innova ad looking to add USB/Aux support. Is this still the best product or we have something better available now.
Do not want to spoil OEM looks or lose stereo controls.

Thanks a lot in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks