Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2012, 12:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality

So, in the quest of exploring my Fortuner more and to add Ipod and Aux functionality to my stock Fortuner stereo by adding a USA SPEC Adapter (PA15-TOY) like this one - USA SPEC: PA15-TOY (cost on ebay - eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices around 7K landing in India), I experimented with opening up my dashboard myself. And here's what I found, which I am adding for everyone's benefit -

1. Its a simple 2 minute job
2. No screws need to be removed to remove the plastic faring around the stock stereo. Its a simple pull-out job.
3. Only 4 bolts need to be removed to remove the stereo completely after the plastic faring is out
4. First thing after removing the plastic fairing is to remove the 2 sockets holding the Auto AC controls. Simple clip on job.
5. Second, remove the 4 bolts holding the stereo in place (proper tool required, I had the long bolt set at home which did the job)
6. Third, remove the 3 clip-on sockets from the back of the stereo and pull out the antenna socket.

That's it. You are done and the stock stereo is in your hands to play around.

Some photo shots -

The side arrows signify the clip on points holding the plastic facia. Just a pull out job applying the right amount of pressure. The round holes specify the points where the stereo bolts are mounted.
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-fortuner-stereo-removal1.jpg

The Plastic Facia from the back. Notice, you need to 1st apply pressure from the lower side and then 2nd from the top as marked in the photo, to remove the facia. Notice the 2 x Auto AC sockets from the back.
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-fortuner-stereo-removal2.jpg

Stereo pulled out after removing the 4 bolts holding it (1 minute job after removing the plastic facia)
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-fortuner-stereo-removal3.jpg

The Stereo from the back with all sockets attached. Notice 1 FREE socket on the back. Wonder what it is for?
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-fortuner-stereo-removal4.jpg

All sockets removed and stereo detached
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-fortuner-stereo-removal5.jpg

The Stereo Specs and make. Notice that it is an OEM from Panasonic.
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-fortuner-stereo-removal6.jpg

Hope that helps someone planning a DIY Stereo Upgrade or Ipod functionality for your stock Toyota Fortuner Stereo.

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 13:26   #2
BHPian

re: DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality

Awesome find
One can also connect an external device (e.g. an MP3 Player) though the Aux-in of the PA-15!

Have you ordered one yet?

One question: Where will the PA-15 fit?
Old 9th February 2012, 13:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Awesome find
One can also connect an external device (e.g. an MP3 Player) though the Aux-in of the PA-15!

One question: Where will the PA-15 fit?
- Yes, Aux-in will support any external mp3 player. The (included) ipod cable also charges the ipod and gives "full" ipod functionality through CD controls. All stock functionality of the player like 6CD/FM etc. remain as it is.

- I will fit the PA15 on the side inside the dashboard with double sided tape. Saw enough space inside.

- Will order the PA15 soon after I complete my research that it is in fact the best solution for my needs. Other option I saw was a Dension Gateway Lite/BT - Dension Gateway Lite BT | iPhone/iPod Car Multimedia Interface | iPhone Headphone Adapter, Headset Adapter, Bluetooth Adapter It's available through their Delhi dealer but at a cost of approx 10k including cables. Also the research on various forums shows the PA15 is the most trouble free solution as on date.

Last edited by dkaile : 9th February 2012 at 13:35.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 16:58   #4
j76
BHPian

@dkaile ... please check out this from another thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...nova-vx-2.html

I have bought the same for my toyota corolla (version before the altis) and it works brilliantly well. There are various versions available which are meant for the various OEM head units which vary by model.
Old 9th February 2012, 17:03   #5
BHPian

You know what, with the inclusion of Aux-in facility with the PA-15, your other troubles are also over - pairing the cellphone with the ICE via Blue-tooth for phone calls!
This is possible through a Blue-tooth convertor (costing around Rs. 6k) which is available on this website.
This plugs directly into the Aux-in & the other end pairs with the phone.

edit: 20north website is down for maintenance, will check if I find the same gadget elsewhere & update you.

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 9th February 2012 at 17:04.
Old 9th February 2012, 17:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
So, in the quest of exploring my Fortuner more...
Fantastic dkaile !
I was looking at wanting to remove the unit and clean it up in due course of time and would have done some research on the DiY...but your post saved me all the trouble.
I normally open the kit/box and clean the laser lens and internals with spirit. Keeps it going and the sound crackling (?) good for a long time.
Thanks.
Old 9th February 2012, 17:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by j76 View Post
@dkaile ... please check out this from another thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...nova-vx-2.html

I have bought the same for my toyota corolla (version before the altis) and it works brilliantly well. There are various versions available which are meant for the various OEM head units which vary by model.
Where did you get it from and what was the cost incurred?

Quote:
You know what, with the inclusion of Aux-in facility with the PA-15, your other troubles are also over - pairing the cellphone with the ICE via Blue-tooth for phone calls!
This is possible through a Blue-tooth convertor (costing around Rs. 6k) which is available on this website.
This plugs directly into the Aux-in & the other end pairs with the phone.

edit: 20north website is down for maintenance, will check if I find the same gadget elsewhere & update you.
There is also a similar gadget from USA SPEC itself, the BT35-TOY - USA SPEC: Products . I just don't use Bluetooth, so didn't research that more.

Mods - Sorry for the back to back post done by mistake. Mods may merge.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th February 2012 at 17:45. Reason: Posts merged. Please avoid putting-up consecutive posts henceforth. :)
Old 10th February 2012, 08:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ordered the PA15 yesterday. Was charged Rs. 7182/- including postage. Hope to get it in a week. Will keep everyone updated for the results.
Old 10th February 2012, 15:21   #9
j76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Where did you get it from and what was the cost incurred?
I guess it is too late now, however here is the information anyway. Got it for Rs.4200, from Haneet (can PM his contact details if required), he imports it and will deliver it to you within that cost. It is a unit called Xcarlink. This one included the A2DP adapter for bluetooth connectivity. The phone and ipod can be controlled from the OEM stereo buttons itself.
Old 10th February 2012, 18:08   #10
BHPian

^^
NOM, but by the looks of it, I would anyday plonk in the US product in my Fortuner.
Old 24th February 2012, 15:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Something reached today -

in 10 days flat from the USA by ordinary post
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-usaspec-pa15toy1.jpg

Packing uncovered
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-usaspec-pa15toy2.jpg

DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-usaspec-pa15toy3.jpg

Fully opened
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-usaspec-pa15toy4.jpg

More to follow...

Mods - Kindly update topic title to - "DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality"
dkaile is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 15:44   #12
BHPian

Re: DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functional

Finally the product has arrived.
That was real quick!

Now I am eager to see how & where do you hide/mount the PA15?
I'm sure you will definitely illustrate the DIY install with lot of pictures.

Good luck with the install..
Old 24th February 2012, 17:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functional

The Initial Preparation -

The Connectors on the PA15-TOY
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-usaspec-pa15toy5.jpg

DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-usaspec-pa15toy6.jpg

The CAS-TA cable. Notice the end that will finally go inside the one open port at the back of the stereo
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-usaspec-pa15toy7.jpg

The CAS-TY & the CAS-TA cables joined together
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-usaspec-pa15toy8.jpg

I purchased one RCA to 3.5mm gold plated cable from the market @Rs.30/- and joined it to the CB-PA105 iPod cable by cello tape to make one thick cable
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-usaspec-pa15toy9.jpg

All cables joined to the PA15-TOY
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-usaspec-pa15toy10.jpg

iPod and Aux-In cables connected to the PA15-TOY
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-usaspec-pa15toy11.jpg

Notice that all DIP switches must be at ON position especially the No.1 DIP switch which enables Aux-In functionality
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-usaspec-pa15toy12.jpg

More to come...
Old 25th February 2012, 13:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Initial preparations (cont...)

DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-usaspec-pa15toy13.jpg

As my brother has taken the Falcon out for a (long) spin, installation will be carried out by me later this week.

Last edited by dkaile : 25th February 2012 at 13:16.
Old 8th March 2012, 09:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

So finally it is DONE.

The PA15-TOY stuck with double sided tape (as to avoid any noise and vibration) to the inside of the dashboard (besides the Aux Power socket, on the inside). It attaches to the one open port on the back of the stereo and that's it. 1 minute job.
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-usaspec-pa15toy14.jpg

The wiring coming out from the front. Need to flush it more properly - SOON. You can also view the position where the PA15-TOY is stuck inside the dashboard.
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-usaspec-pa15toy15.jpg

The ipod finally connected. Note that the track name and artiste is displayed by Text Button on the stereo on the Stereo display also - NEAT
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-usaspec-pa15toy16.jpg

Some points to be noted -
- Only one device functionality at a time can be performed i.e. either the iPod or the Aux In or the in built 6 CD changer. The CD's need to be removed for the functionality of the PA15-TOY to kick in automatically.
- By default, with no cd's in, the device goes to aux-in mode if ipod is not attached (at CD-9 position).
- If ipod is attached, Aux In functionality ceases and the ipod is detected at CD-7 (Playlist Mode / controlled by Stereo/Steering buttons) and CD-8 (Direct Mode / Controlled directly by ipod buttons)
- If CD's are inserted, the stereo goes back to stock functionality and ipod and aux-in functionality ceases
- Sound quality is fabulous in both ipod and aux-in mode. In Aux-In mode, the volume needs to be increased a little, but there is no compromise in audio quality.
- None of the stock stereo functionality or the Steering controls hampered in any way, with or without the ipod/aux-in connected.
- It charges the ipod also while playing.
- No need to remove ipod when switching switching ignition off. The tracks and stereo plays from the point where you last left the ipod. When you switch off ignition, the ipod also pauses and switches off. It automatically comes ON and starts playing when you switch on ignition the next time - NEAT.
- The ipod/aux-in wire is so long that it can even reach the back seat, if needed. I have kept it till the centre glove box between the seats so that I can store the ipod safely in the centre glove box, out of prying eyes. And yes, the wire slides in from the side even with the glove box closed, so that the ipod is safely tucked out of sight, in easy reach of your hands, and playing gleefully from within the centre glove box.

Seems full bang for my buck, for now.

Finally, a parting shot of the Falcon today, in all its sublime glory.
Understated Elegance...
DIY - How to Remove stock stereo of Toyota Fortuner & Install iPod/Aux functionality-fortunerfalcon08032012.jpg

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 8th March 2012 at 10:11.
dkaile is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed