Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2006, 23:27   #16
Team-BHP Support

will 6x9 fit in the stock aveo locations? if so get them.

most HUs have enough watts to play loud enough so that you can hear the traffic, horns etc. adding an amp however does to things other than play louder (a) it frees up the HU's amp and hence power supply improving the sonud from the HU (b) the amp is better able to control the speakers and hence the definition of the music esp the bass improves.
Old 7th April 2006, 18:50   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
HB,
good 4+1 channel amps are hardly made today. I distinguish between 4+1 and 5 channel amps where 4+1 channel amps are more like 100Wx1 and 30X4 vs 50x5 found on many mordern 5 ch. amps.

A 4+1 ch. amp would be perfect but in lieu of this you could have a 4ch and a mono/stereo-bridged amp combination instead.

If you want to start from scratch and the delaer is offering a system I would negotiate as big a discount as possible in lieu of the OE system

HU: 8K like the Bermuda mentioned by namit
front speakers: 5.5-6K for components (JBL or Blaupunkt ODx series)
rear speakers: 3.5-4K for coax
sub: 9K for a 12" in a box
amp: 7-10K (Pio 944 or JBL 60.4 or Pio 6100)
wires and install: 4K
-----
8+6+4+9+10 +4= 41K
see we did not go much over budget.
Hi Navin,

Thanks a ton for the info. Now I have some questions regarding the setup (I tried browsing through other threads but there are way too many to locate the correct one!!).

How should my speakers be driven? As you had mentioned that I can use a 4 channel amp (2 channels for comps, 2 for co-axials), so I assume the HU is often not the best of the options to drive the speakers (be it the comps or the co-axials)? If yes, then how many pre-outs should my HU have...2 or 4?

And which is better? a mono amp or a bridged amp? and why? (well, it is an obvious question from an engg, even if he is not a EE engg!)

And if in Aveo, the rear speakers are set on shelf, isn't it better to have them in rear door kick panels? I understand from other threads that a sub in the boot would also do fine.

Or rather, if you feel you have the correct (and I assume, there would be a "standard" setup for such regular specs) setup, please share.

Cheers
HB
Old 7th April 2006, 23:41   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells
How should my speakers be driven? As you had mentioned that I can use a 4 channel amp (2 channels for comps, 2 for co-axials), so I assume the HU is often not the best of the options to drive the speakers (be it the comps or the co-axials)? If yes, then how many pre-outs should my HU have...2 or 4?

And which is better? a mono amp or a bridged amp? and why? (well, it is an obvious question from an engg, even if he is not a EE engg!)

And if in Aveo, the rear speakers are set on shelf, isn't it better to have them in rear door kick panels? I understand from other threads that a sub in the boot would also do fine.

Or rather, if you feel you have the correct (and I assume, there would be a "standard" setup for such regular specs) setup, please share.

Cheers
HB
HB
1. the amp would drive your sub and front speakers and the HU would drive the rear
2. ideally 3 pairs of pre outs (6) would be what you are looking for but i would require atleast 2 pairs (4).
3. a mono amp can only be used for subs unless you got 2 mono amps. mono or stereo is not the issue what oyu have to understand is how much current can the amp dump and how sweet it sounds. that determines if the amp has been designed for subs or fullrange speakers. take for example 2 amps like the Blaupunkt PA275 and Alpine 240.
The PA275 is about 80Wx2 but 260+W bridged at 4ohms
The Alpine is 40Wx4 and barely 80Wx2 but sound sweet.
The PA275 with it's huge current capablity makes a better sub amp and the 240 with it's sweetness makes a good fullrange amp. capiche?

BTW I got an EE degree too.
Old 19th April 2006, 08:21   #19
BHPian

For Navin and others.

Thanks a ton for all your advice however i have couple of doubts which you can clarify -
1). Bermuda HU is 40*4 Watts so does it imply that it needs speakers with a minimum sound output of 160 Wattage ?
2). In Aveo, the rear speakers are provisioned for round shaped speakers and the JBL 936 i want to install as per your recommendation is oval shaped. My dealer said that he will cut the steel part of shelf, from inside the trunk, to oval but leave the beige matting on the shelf as it is; but my concern is will it hamper sound effects as almost half the speaker would be covered with matting on the shelf. Otherwise suggest me a better altenative.

Cheers,
Namit.
Old 19th April 2006, 09:48   #20
Team-BHP Support

A: 1
Nope.
a) the Bermuda is more like 10W rms x 4
b) this 10W is adequate for most listening purposes and will allow you to still hear the traffic. an outboard amp should be used when you want to improve the QUALITY of the sound not nesscarily the QUANTITY.

A 2:
you can trim the matting yourself as you would do a neater job that some dealers. a little bit wont trouble the speakers unless there is a lot i would not bother.
Old 19th April 2006, 10:38   #21
BHPian

Forgive me for this but Navin I am novice in audio system knowledge.

Actually what i wanted to know was that JBL 936 is a 300W speaker set so isnt it too much for a Bermuda which doesnt seem to have that much sound output capacity ?

U have been a great help as always !!
Old 19th April 2006, 12:01   #22
Team-BHP Support

The 936 can be driven by most HUs.
Old 20th April 2006, 00:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

300 W is PMPO (Peak Music Power Output).....actual output is much less....and as such, rightly put by navin boss, they can be driven by HUs at a satisfactory level.
Old 20th April 2006, 12:59   #24
Team-BHP Support

even it was rms it dont make a difference what matters is the sensitivity (usually stated as XXdb/1W/1m).
Old 8th May 2006, 15:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
even it was rms it dont make a difference what matters is the sensitivity (usually stated as XXdb/1W/1m).

Thanks Navin and others !!

I got my Chevy baby - Aveo and its a lovely experience all the more so bcoz of your valued inputs ......

I got Blaupunkt Bermuda HU installed with JBL 6'' 636 pair of speakers as i didnt want to play with the original Aveo setup and it sounds good.

I also heard the Blaupunkt 6'' speakers and the sound lacked bass so went for JBL 6''.

Thanks again !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks