Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2012, 20:59   #1
BHPian

Verna SX : ICE options for ~75K

Hello My Dear Fellow TBHPians,

Now that my new verna sx is due for its delivery in a month's time, I am back at researching on what I love the most in my present car - ICE

My current i10's ICE is described in the thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...e-stinger.html

and its amazing. I plan to move this to my wife's i10 (if possible. need to research how the stock unit could be changed)

Getting back to the upcoming beauty, my budget is 75K and the priority is SQ.

I need suggestions on the entire system

Head Unit :
Do I retain the stock HU? How is Hyundai in quality when fed to decent amp and speakers. I have an Alpine 9886 and it sounds sweet. I do not want to compromise on the SQ - Will go for an Double Din and the 3rd party panel for the Verna dash. (I feel CASKA is over expensive). What are the best HUs in market now. Dont see much action in Alpine these days. How is Pioneer AVH-P8400? Navigation is not necessary for me. Any suggestions for alternatives are most welcome.

Speakers:
I've been going through the threads and I see FOCAL in demand these days. Do they come in my budget? I am looking at Components in the front and CoAX in the rear. What would be a better positioning for the rear speakers.

Sub:
I like the bass tight. Would prefer a manufactured enclosure with sub rather than custom made boxes. Never confident of the specs and materials used in custom made ones.

Amp :
Should I go for a 4-ch amp OR a Monoblock for SUb + 2-ch amp for front comps since the rear is just a fill.

Wiring:
Want to go for Stinger again. Just that I realized later that the wiring kit was short of an RCA wire and a speaker wire after the purchase last time. Please let me know what all needed to be in there so that I can get them purchased from US

ICE Gurus, appreciate your suggestions for a great SQ system. I might be travelling for US in 3 months. So, i would not mind picking up stuff from there in case the price difference is significant, else I shall pick it up from here.

Thanks in Advance..
Old 15th May 2012, 03:46   #2
BHPian

Re: Verna SX : ICE options for ~75K

If you are buying these stuff in the U.S, buy through Crutchfield. You will get good quality speakers and shipping is mostly free.
Focal Polyglass 165VB components : $300
Focal Co-Axials : $150 - $175
Dynamat (Damping) : $50 - $75
Subwoofer : If you want to buy a manufacturer enclosed, I would rather buy that in India as it is hard to carry from here (Baggage restrictions)
You can buy the amplifier here, but again it depends on what components or Sub you will be buying as you have to match the power / watts etc.

Atleast buy the components, Coaxials, Amp and Damping material from the U.S. It's cheaper!

Cheers!
-Z
Old 15th May 2012, 11:00   #3
BHPian

Would Suggest you this;

Front Components ---- HAT Clarus C61-2 - 32580 MRP
4 Channel Amp ---- Celestra FA475x - 31780 MRP
Subwoofer ---- HAT I8sw - 13480 MRP

these are some of the best things in the ICE and is available to you from Bangalore from the official HAT dealer BeeSound. Inc

Last edited by jp2u : 15th May 2012 at 11:02.
Old 15th May 2012, 18:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie69 View Post
If you are buying these stuff in the U.S, buy through Crutchfield. You will get good quality speakers and shipping is mostly free.
Focal Polyglass 165VB components : $300
Focal Co-Axials : $150 - $175
Dynamat (Damping) : $50 - $75
Subwoofer : If you want to buy a manufacturer enclosed, I would rather buy that in India as it is hard to carry from here (Baggage restrictions)
You can buy the amplifier here, but again it depends on what components or Sub you will be buying as you have to match the power / watts etc.

Atleast buy the components, Coaxials, Amp and Damping material from the U.S. It's cheaper!

Cheers!
-Z
Thanks for the reply Zombie.
I am looking at purchasing the HU, Components, Amp, Wiring and Damping from US and that too if required and I travel in the next few months. Sub would be purchased here.

Sub - I'm looking at a 1000 watts 12" sub with enclosure, which could give me tight bass.
Old 15th May 2012, 19:22   #5
BHPian

Whatever equipment you choose, please try to audition it if possible.
invincible7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 21:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
Would Suggest you this;

Front Components ---- HAT Clarus C61-2 - 32580 MRP
4 Channel Amp ---- Celestra FA475x - 31780 MRP
Subwoofer ---- HAT I8sw - 13480 MRP

these are some of the best things in the ICE and is available to you from Bangalore from the official HAT dealer BeeSound. Inc
HAT !!! This system would drain me out even before I could think of an HU / wiring etc. But an awesome combo neverthless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Whatever equipment you choose, please try to audition it if possible.
Will try my level best to audition. However, might not be possible with all the options :(

Is my budget not sufficient ? Havent seen some of the biggies' responses. RocksterRaghu was in Hyderabad during my last install and he was amazing. Not sure where he is these days.
Still not able to shortlist on anything
Old 16th May 2012, 22:53   #7
BHPian

Your budget is pretty descent but yeah there is no end to this game once you start playing .

Its best if you could listen to some of the setup's locally and see what kind of sound you would like to have for your listening pleasure.

Hydra is located in hyd I believe and has a good SQ system, try to get in touch with him if possible.

There are many options available now a days and since you plan to pick the stuff from US of A, the choices are even more for you.

For HU's - Alpine 117 with USB is good. I am using it for quiet some time now and its good. / 9887 / Pioneer P80rs the newly launched one/JVC's

For Front Comps -- Depends on what kind of sound you like, there are many choices from DLS/Focal/Morel/Rainbow/Image Dynamics.

For Subs - Again many choices in terms of SQ - Focal/Morel/IDQ's

The choices are endless if I have to say, so start listening to some of the setups in your town to get a hang of what you want and then decide.

Last edited by invincible7 : 16th May 2012 at 22:56.
Old 17th May 2012, 06:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Did you already get the beauty?

Day before yesterday, when we were at the PSK, to kill time i stepped into the Hyundai showroom and was checking out the new Verna and the new i20. The salesman was explaining things and i asked him to play something on the stereo. To this he took me to the test drive car and we played some music from mp3, and radio.

I found the stock system to be decent, do check that first and then see if it really needs replacement. Also the stock fits beautifully with the rest of the dashboard, my hunch an aftermarket HU will surely look out of sync with the rest of the dashboard.
Old 18th May 2012, 12:07   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
For HU's - Alpine 117 with USB is good. I am using it for quiet some time now and its good. / 9887 / Pioneer P80rs the newly launched one/JVC's
I have an Alpine 9886 in my current i10. Its just amazing. The issue with 117 or 9886 is that they are Single Din and would ruin the look of the dash. I might have to reach out to Hydra. Will PM him today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Did you already get the beauty?

The salesman was explaining things and i asked him to play something on the stereo. To this he took me to the test drive car and we played some music from mp3, and radio.

I found the stock system to be decent, do check that first and then see if it really needs replacement. Also the stock fits beautifully with the rest of the dashboard, my hunch an aftermarket HU will surely look out of sync with the rest of the dashboard.
Havent yet got it. June 10 or later.
The stock audio is pretty decent. But it falls short of a very good SQ system. Just that I want this install to surpass my current system in terms of SQ.
I am just thinking if i upgrade only the Comps, amp and sub now and go with the HU upgrade later if not satisfied with the performance and SQ.

Last edited by maverick236 : 18th May 2012 at 12:08. Reason: missed out answering a query
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:58   #10
BHPian

After this bit of research, was able to finalize on the following stuff so far
The approach will be phase wise

Phase 1
Front Components - Focal Polyglass VB 165
Amp : Focal Solid 4 (to drive the components and Sub)
Rear : Focal Polyglass CVX165 (tentative)
Sub : Yet to Decide
Wiring : Yet to decide
Damping

Phase 2 (If required only)
HU - Pioneer avh-8400 or Alpine (since I had always been an Alpine fan). This upgrade would be done if I am not happy with the SQ of the stock HU
Amp2: Monoblock to run the sub so that I can use Amp1 for all the 4 speakers.

As the days get closer, I am just thinking of getting all the stuff here in India itself instead of waiting for another 3 months for my travel. (Just cant wait)

What do you say Gurus.

Last edited by maverick236 : 23rd May 2012 at 15:01.
Old 23rd May 2012, 15:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick236 View Post
After this bit of research, was able to finalize on the following stuff so far
The approach will be phase wise

Phase 1
Front Components - Focal Polyglass VB 165
Amp : Focal Solid 4 (to drive the components and Sub)
Rear : Focal Polyglass CVX165 (tentative)
Sub : Yet to Decide
Wiring : Yet to decide
Damping

Phase 2 (If required only)
HU - Pioneer avh-8400 or Alpine (since I had always been an Alpine fan). This upgrade would be done if I am not happy with the SQ of the stock HU
Amp2: Monoblock to run the sub so that I can use Amp1 for all the 4 speakers.

As the days get closer, I am just thinking of getting all the stuff here in India itself instead of waiting for another 3 months for my travel. (Just cant wait)

What do you say Gurus.
Ever auditioned a Polyglass before?

And the OE HU has RCA outs?
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Ever auditioned a Polyglass before?

And the OE HU has RCA outs?
Yes, I did audition a Polyglass earlier however it was quite a while ago almost an year ago.

Reg the OE HU, I'll have to use a adaptor i guess. There are no RCA outs
Old 26th May 2012, 22:00   #13
BHPian

Hi Maverick and others!

I am also getting delivery of my Verna SX next week.
I too am planning to upgrade the ICE, however i want to retain the HU.

I have the below equipment already which was taken out from my swift before selling:
- 4 Channel Amp - Ground Zero
- Monoblock Amp - Kicker
- 12" Subwoofer - round Zero.

Can someone let me know if it is possible to hook the above things to the existing equipment(mainly the HU)?

I plan to upgrade speakers with components too, but i want to use the existing space for them.
Old 28th May 2012, 12:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Hi Maverick and others!
Can someone let me know if it is possible to hook the above things to the existing equipment(mainly the HU)?

I plan to upgrade speakers with components too, but i want to use the existing space for them.
Congrats Bro...

1) There is no RCA out for the stock HU. You need to go for an external adaptor which should not be a problem. (good one might cost a couple of thousands)

I am not sure about the quality of the Hyundai HU and speakers and how well they could pair up with the amp. I have another 2 weeks before I get my verna, So may be I take the feedback from you regarding the stock HU.

2) The components could be used in place of the stock components that you get.
maverick236 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 13:03   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick236

Congrats Bro...

1) There is no RCA out for the stock HU. You need to go for an external adaptor which should not be a problem. (good one might cost a couple of thousands)

I am not sure about the quality of the Hyundai HU and speakers and how well they could pair up with the amp. I have another 2 weeks before I get my verna, So may be I take the feedback from you regarding the stock HU.

2) The components could be used in place of the stock components that you get.
Sorry to jump in late. I was travelling.

Many stock HUs have EQ built in to compensate for the limitations of the stock speakers. About 2 years ago my wife got the Honda City and we ran into this challenge.

If you want to retain the stock look and steering controls one option is a DSP processor from Alpine, RF, JBL, etc. these processors have limitations compared to HUs in their price range.

If I was you and was willing to upgrade in steps the first item I would add is a monoblock and subwoofer and some simple bass blocking caps for the front and rear speakers.

If you find you need to upgrade from this I would get front components and maybe a 4 ch, amp.

The next stage would involve considering if you want the stock look, steering controls, etc. Since much of today's music is on an iPod the HU is more and more redundant. A HU would make sense if you still use CD and consider the iPods DAC inadequate.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks