Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2012, 10:24   #1
BHPian

ICE for 2008 VW Passat

Hi,

Posted my query for the Guru's to answer but no reply so re-posting here.

Friends, I am having a problem with my OE HU as it is not accepting any CD's and it does not have a USB or any other aux support and I am left with just the Radio.

I am looking at swapping and upgrading the OE unit with a completely new one but am not sure cause the VW guys have scared me that if the wiring or HU is not done properly the electronics in the car will start acting up and they have themselves refused to touch it as the car is out of warranty (KSM Navi Mumbai) and to top it the VW PE system needs some sort of VW special tool to release the unit from the slot on both sides. The dealer says they can remove the unit but will not touch anything else and will send the unit to VW for repairs.

I would highly appreciate if I can get a lead to someone in Mumbai who has worked on Passats or on high end cars and can guide me on choosing a suitable direct replacement HU.

Also, would appreciate if there are any Passat owners who can recommend a good workshop for the Passat dealer or private anything is okay as I am paying through my pocket.

Cheers... I-Chief
Old 3rd June 2012, 20:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE for 2008 VW Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Chief View Post
... the VW guys have scared me that if the wiring or HU is not done properly the electronics in the car will start acting up and they have themselves refused to touch it as the car is out of warranty (KSM Navi Mumbai) and to top it the VW PE system needs some sort of VW special tool to release the unit from the slot on both sides. The dealer says they can remove the unit but will not touch anything else and will send the unit to VW for repairs. ...
LOL the 'VW guys' you are talking to are more scared than you to do anything, apart from not wanting to do any that is not lucrative - repairs never are. Removing the OE unit is the least of the problems - their ignorance is the bigger one. The connections to an aftermarket HU will be the same, just that some wires might need to be repositioned.

Please read up the threads on what others have done with ICE in VW vehicles (Polo / Vento / Jetta) - Passat is just another VW from that p-o-v. The choices you have are:
1. Getting the current unit repaired (any Blaupunkt service unit could do that if you are able to locate one)
2. Replacing it with an identical VW spare (likely to be a costly affair, whether you import it or ask VW to get it for you)
3. Upgrade to a more modern VW touchscreen HU meant for Passat (not cheap)
4. Replace the OE unit with an aftermarket HU. Though very practical, you might lose some related functionality (usually information over CAN bus) because of the dash integration of the OE unit - can't visualize unless there is a pic of your dash. You may need a fascia from VW or aftermarket guys that adapts the aftermarket HU to the dash.

Your choice will depend on whether you want only OE stuff or you are willing to experiment with aftermarket stuff.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 12:53   #3
BHPian

Hey buddy, thanks a ton for taking the time out to answer my query. I definitely want to upgrade to a new and modern aftermarket HU. I have found this online place that sells VW Passat specific systems, link attached.

VW PASSAT DVD Stereo - Passat GPS system - VW Passat navi navigation - Update Autoradio Passat

I am also attaching a picture of my dash as requested.
Attached Thumbnails
ICE for 2008 VW Passat-45073_20120426031419647_640x428.jpg  

Old 4th June 2012, 15:54   #4
BHPian

While there are quite a few vendors across the globe whocan supply media players suitable for the Passat B6, I would recommend that you go in for one that has a sales and service network in India.
Old 5th June 2012, 11:09   #5
BHPian

Colonel thanks bro, I myself would definitely prefer to buy something that has after sales service in India, just that I am really in a corner with no options coming up in the India market as of now. I was hoping I could hook up with some remowned or known installer in Mumbai who could help me with this but I am still searching. Google has not been much help so far.

I have searched the forum for relative issues but have not found any threads or posts related the the subject matter I am stuck with.
Old 5th June 2012, 11:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I have found this online place that sells VW Passat specific systems, link attached. ...
As @coloneljassi put it, it makes a lot of sense to buy only those that have an Indian service network. The only value-add this online vendor's products have is that the product is a drop-in replacement. Not that this is a big issue - it is just a matter of the harness and fascia adapters for VW, which any experienced installer can handle in India.

PM @bass@trouble - he is in Mumbai. He will be able to guide you in selecting an HU brand which has an Indian service network, and also get the unit installed properly.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 12:34   #7
BHPian

Hey DerAlte, tried searching for @bass@ trouble but no luck and I must also say that I do not think I have access / rights to send PMs as of now. Would appreciate if you could give me a lead as in a phone number or email address or shop address and I will get in touch in a jiffy.
Old 5th June 2012, 13:21   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey DerAlte, tried searching for @bass@ trouble but no luck and I must also say that I do not think I have access / rights to send PMs as of now. Would appreciate if you could give me a lead as in a phone number or email address or shop address and I will get in touch in a jiffy.
Bass & Trouble's deatils from one of his classifieds on here:

Name: Ajay Kamath
Forum ID: Bass&Trouble
Dealership: Sounds Good
Phone: 9320447654
Email: atozaudio@gmail.com
manson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 13:31   #9
BHPian

Manson buddy, thanks a ton. Havent seen you riding in a long time.
Old 6th June 2012, 11:06   #10
BHPian

Manson, DerAlte and ColonelJasi, thanks buddies. I have managed to get in touch with Ajay Kamath from Sounds Good and things are on track, will post with pictures once issues are sorted.
Old 6th June 2012, 14:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, my bad - I typed @ instead of & in B&T's handle.
Old 6th June 2012, 15:17   #12
BHPian

Pulling off the OE HU and installing an alternative one is not gonna do squat to your cars electrical system. Re working the wiring is the only thing that will be needed. I.e, slicing or splicing the speaker cables from the OE HU's connector to connect to the new HU's connector. Slicing / Splicing the power cables (battery and ground) to connect to the new HU's connector.

At the end of the day, as long as the service center does not have to make the effort, they are fine. Just make sure you get the new HU installed from a known installer (effectively someone who knows his / her stuff and not some joker of an installer who claims to know stuff because he can cut, splice and solder). Meet the installer and speak to him, ask him what and how. Based on his answer take you call.
Old 6th June 2012, 16:25   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Manson buddy, thanks a ton. Havent seen you riding in a long time.
I've been really tied up off late with work for the last 6 months odd. You would surely see my Fireblade more often through next season
Old 6th June 2012, 19:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Fitting kits and harness are available for VW cars,just plug in and upgrade your ICE with the choice of ICE gear and your done.

Ramie
Old 2nd July 2012, 15:30   #15
BHPian

Hi

Have you tried resetting your VW head unit to factory settings. It might resolve the problem. Also, what is the model number of your HU?

I have the B7 Passat and lately I have been thinking about replacing the HU with a better one. The RCD 510 which comes with the car has an average sound quality, treble and bass usually don't sound as expected. Anyhow, VW Europe recommends this Kenwood stereo as an official replacement of their factory unit:
Kenwood Electronics UK Ltd. | Volkswagen Group - Seat,

Without knowing the model number of the stereo in your car I can’t confirm if this will fit or not.

Hope you find this information useful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks