Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2012, 20:38   #16

Re: Internet Radio In Your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitsank View Post
I might not be good on the technical side. In lame man terms it is really good to listen. On my Iphone & Sony Erricosn Walkman Live and when connected to Car Audio it gives almost an Ipod quality sound.

In another word, i feel it is better than the normal on air FM Stations. Again it is very personal view only.

The higher the bitrate, the better the quality.
But I could not agree more. Music is a very, very personal preference.

But be warned! If you listen to the same song at 64kbps & again at 320kbps, you can't go back.
Old 29th June 2012, 12:54   #17
BHPian

I use an application called 'Indian Radios' on my iPhone. It is a collection of several radio stations from which one can choose. It plays smoothly without much buffering on my BSNL 3G. My Scorpio's audio system is bluetooth enabled and automatically connects to the iPhone. It mutes the radio in case of an incoming call which can be answered hands-free. Cool huh ?
dr_anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2012, 13:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Tuneinradio is what i use and there is nothing better than an Internet radio. I prefer Internet radio to carrying MP3's or CD' or any collection.

I can listen to some non stop classical rock channels and not worry about forwarding to next song or skipping tracks. I can listen to the order the channel selects to broadcast and still get my meal of classic rock.

Hate to listen to these region radio except Big FM Balaji hour.
Old 29th June 2012, 13:55   #19

Music playing combination in my car is Pioneer + Iphone + Airtel 3G

IPhone music applications i use

Pandora (through a free VPN)
Jango Radio
HiDef Radio
TuneIn Radio
Saavn
Indian Radios
Desi Radio
Shoutcast
FlyCast S
OurStage Radio

I use Pandora, Jango & Saavn apps most to listen to my favorites
Old 30th June 2012, 15:30   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by challasravi View Post
Music playing combination in my car is Pioneer + Iphone + Airtel 3G

IPhone music applications i use

Pandora (through a free VPN)
Jango Radio
HiDef Radio
TuneIn Radio
Saavn
Indian Radios
Desi Radio
Shoutcast
FlyCast S
OurStage Radio

I use Pandora, Jango & Saavn apps most to listen to my favorites
I am a big fan of Pandora too. Without the VPN it doesnt work in India. Can you please post details of the free VPN you are employing? I am really keen on using it myself.
Old 2nd July 2012, 11:27   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
I am a big fan of Pandora too. Without the VPN it doesnt work in India. Can you please post details of the free VPN you are employing? I am really keen on using it myself.
The free VPN IPs have stopped working suddenly this weekend. Let me confirm if this is a temporary outage. I will share the details as soon as they are working, else will find some other alternates and share them here.
Old 2nd July 2012, 18:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Great idea. I thought everyone was already hooked on to it.
I use Aux In and do not keep the phone or iPad in the car. Take it off everytime = cummbersome but safe.

TuneIn radio is my choice. Pandora does not work, I am waiting for the members to share the free VPN settings. I mostly listen to Western Classics and Rock. Canadian and US DJ's mix it up quite nicely. Our stations play the repeated collections and thus Internet Radio.

Way to go and I am sure many more will join in.

P.S. For those who use MP3s I request you to resist going for lowly 64kbps bit rate. Do not spoil the quality for quantity. I have lossless Flac and Apple lossless and its even tough to go back to 128 bit rate. 256 and 320 are much better. But again it depends on your genere. Try Jazz and you will notice the difference instantly. Cheers!
Old 2nd July 2012, 21:17   #23
BHPian

So theres two kinds of internet radio - one that plays radio stations from around the world, and the other like Pandora, which is customized music streaming.

For the first, I use TuneIn. Works damn well. I have paired my iPhone 4S via bluetooth to my car audio system. I have a bunch of presets -- I just wish that the car's next / previous button could be used to switch between presets. This would be especially useful when ads come on. My instinctive reaction to a radio commercial is 'next channel'. Not easy to do on TuneIn.

For the customized song thing, I use Songza sometimes. But I dont use it nearly often enough. I always always end up using TuneIn, now that I've found a couple of good music stations.

And now for a personal appeal. Please PLEASE dont listen to music at 64 KBPS. Not even through headphones, leave alone an amped car audio system. Get a higher 3G plan -- its expensive, but totally worth it.
Old 2nd July 2012, 21:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitsank View Post

The hardware;

1. Android or Iphone (I tried an un-used Iphone to do a trial run) Currently I use a a New Sony Ericsson Walkman Live permanently in my car.
2. Audio connection for Phone to Car Audio System:
Option-1 : Aux 3.5 mm Cable (I use this currently and it is very convenient)
Option - 2 : For Iphone I used a FM transmitter (Brand New Allkit FM Transmitter for Apple iPhone 4G / Apple iPod Touch 4G | eBay)
Here I must admit this gadget stopped working the second month)
Option-3: Home Car Wireless Stereo FM Transmitter P3 /ipods/mp4 Ipad 1 and ipad 2 | eBay

What stereo system is this? Is Bluetooth streaming an option?

Option 1 is still OK - option 2 and 3 are probably very lossy.
Old 2nd July 2012, 22:09   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudittandon View Post
What stereo system is this? Is Bluetooth streaming an option?

Option 1 is still OK - option 2 and 3 are probably very lossy.
No clue on Bluetooth streaming, Option 2 is very good, i haven't noticed any loss, Option 3 not tried yet.
Old 3rd July 2012, 02:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't Pandora work in India? I have become a big fan of it here and there is no un-necessary RJ talks etc. Pure Music and some ads since it is free.

There is an app for Android and iPhone though. Can someone confirm if it works fine using that?

Alternatively there is another app called iheartradio. This app also got a collection of radio stations across the USA and quite a few stations play the latest chart busters frequently but with the regular RJ trash talk.
Old 3rd July 2012, 07:41   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan
Doesn't Pandora work in India? I have become a big fan of it here and there is no un-necessary RJ talks etc. Pure Music and some ads since it is free.

There is an app for Android and iPhone though. Can someone confirm if it works fine using that?

Alternatively there is another app called iheartradio. This app also got a collection of radio stations across the USA and quite a few stations play the latest chart busters frequently but with the regular RJ trash talk.
Jango is one such iPhone app similar to Pandora, though not as brilliant as Pandora, try it you'll probably like it

Don't need a VPN for Jango
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

Update for honda city owners using iPhone / iPad (with 3G): just connect your device with the inbuilt USB and the voila it works wonderfully well. Even the display shows the track being played.
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 14:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

While the radio does add fair bit of surprise and randomness element, which i also like but not in lieu of quality of music.

So gave the app a try, on my 3G mobile connection, its decent but quality is no where close to mp3 ripped at 320 KBPS on you phone.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 4th July 2012 at 14:06.
Old 5th July 2012, 05:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguy View Post
But be warned! If you listen to the same song at 64kbps & again at 320kbps, you can't go back.
Rightly said, what i am surprised about is when playing through my unlimited 1mbps Wifi connection i still don't get very good quality, and it left me wanting for more. There is a lot of HISS on the background, which made the lossy 320 KBPS mp3 looked like awesome. For now i would give it a pass.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks