Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:29   #61
BHPian

re: Pen Drives : Compatibility issues with Head-Units

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Since it is ZDi and the port is actually separate, issue could be with the connector cable as well. Even if loose contact is the culprit, I don't think the HU would need to be replaced - just the cable might do.
Hmm. I get the picture now. But even to replace the cable, I suspect a complete dis-assembly & re-assembly of the HU. Before I consider taking it to A.S.S, any ideas on how to test further and be reasonably sure it is a loose contact?

One idea I have is this. The USB drive for my HU vertically mounted & the length is approximately 2 inches. I will try a HP v165, which is hardly 1/2 an inch. Good chance it can withstand the vibrations.

Any other ideas before I risk a dis-assembly of my HU?
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:57   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajwheelz View Post
Hmm. I get the picture now. But even to replace the cable, I suspect a complete dis-assembly & re-assembly of the HU. Before I consider taking it to A.S.S, any ideas on how to test further and be reasonably sure it is a loose contact?
Play from the same USB for ~ 30 mins when your car is parked in your parking lot with the engine turned off. If it plays perfectly, there is a high chance of loose contact. Don't worry about the battery, it can stand the OEM configuration without the engine turned on.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 08:02   #63
BHPian

Ok. Thankfully it's not a loose contact problem. I moved on to Sandisk and now USB music play works like a charm.

All Ertiga owners, Sandisk 4GB formatted as FAT32 with cluster size 32k works absolutely fine. I tried it with 20 folder structure and overall number of songs close to a 1000. No hiccups at all.

HP totally refused to play. Transcend plays but has the stalling issue in between playback.

On the other hand, do not be alarmed if some MP3 gets skipped. It's either a corrupt MP3, or the bit rate is not supported by the HU or the MP3 is protected.

Thanks all, especially zenren for helping me out.
Old 4th February 2014, 04:18   #64
BHPian

I've always had JVC units in all my 3 cars (single-DIN in my Palio, double-DIN XR810 in my SX4 and just bought a R900BT for my GT TDi). I mostly have 320kbps ripped VBR MP3s in my music collection. Also, my music collection is at-most 4 levels deep and each folder has no more than 15 songs.

I've never faced any issues with any flash drives of upto 8GB. Worked flawlessly for me all the time.

I've tried connecting my Samsung Galaxy S3 with a 32GB (and later 64GB) microSD card and they were NEVER detected. Not sure if it was an Android/UMS issue or that of sheer size of the media.

I'm gonna try my luck with a 16GB Sandisk Cruzer Fit in both my cars and will post my findings here.
Old 4th February 2014, 08:51   #65
BHPian

I tried a 16gb strontium brand pen drive in a few cars with stock and pioneer head units. Did not work in a single one. Oddly enough works perfect in the tv and a dvd player.
Old 4th February 2014, 09:11   #66
BHPian

I currently use 16gb strontium auto and 8gb SanDisk cruzer blade pen drives and never faced any issues. Head unit is a basic Kenwood.
Old 4th February 2014, 11:15   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchemkay View Post
I'm gonna try my luck with a 16GB Sandisk Cruzer Fit in both my cars
It would work. I am using 32 GB pendrives (HP V210W & Sandisk cruzer facet) with JVC KD-R90BT headunit.
Old 4th February 2014, 12:02   #68
BHPian

Quote:
I've always had JVC units in all my 3 cars (single-DIN in my Palio, double-DIN XR810 in my SX4 and just bought a R900BT for my GT TDi). I mostly have 320kbps ripped VBR MP3s in my music collection. Also, my music collection is at-most 4 levels deep and each folder has no more than 15 songs.

I've never faced any issues with any flash drives of upto 8GB. Worked flawlessly for me all the time.

I've tried connecting my Samsung Galaxy S3 with a 32GB (and later 64GB) microSD card and they were NEVER detected. Not sure if it was an Android/UMS issue or that of sheer size of the media.

I'm gonna try my luck with a 16GB Sandisk Cruzer Fit in both my cars and will post my findings here.
Get sandisk Cruiser blade pen drive , i want to tell everybody dont go for compact pendrives . Get either sandisk or kingston but the drives should not be compact in size .
Old 4th February 2014, 12:54   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
It would work. I am using 32 GB pendrives (HP V210W & Sandisk cruzer facet) with JVC KD-R90BT headunit.
Nice to get a confirmation from a fellow JVC owner. I would have ordered a 32GB if I had known this beforehand. What are the read times like for the 32GB the 90bt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
Get sandisk Cruiser blade pen drive , i want to tell everybody dont go for compact pendrives . Get either sandisk or kingston but the drives should not be compact in size .
Not true. I had the 8GB tiny blue colored HP falsh drive and that worked perfectly for me.
Old 4th February 2014, 15:53   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What are the read times like for the 32GB the 90bt?
Read times haven't changed irrespective of capacity of pen drive. I have tried different pen drives having capacities of 4 GB, 8GB & now 32 GB.
My headunit JVC KD-R90BT takes time (around 15-20s) to list/play songs from USB port.
Old 19th July 2014, 09:10   #71
BHPian

Head-Unit showing USB error!

Purchased a Ford Classic recently. As the stock Ford HU and speakers offer decent sound quality, I've decided to stick on with the same for the time being. But the problem is that whenever I play songs from my pendrive, after 6-7 songs the HU shows "USB ERROR" and skips back to FM radio. If I try to change the source to USB, the same error pops up again. The only way to get the pendrive to work again is to format it. But then the whole cycle of events repeat.

Any fellow BHP-ians experience the same?
Old 19th July 2014, 11:30   #72
BHPian

re: Head-Unit showing USB error!

I had this error when the thumb drive used to contain material other than music.

Try retaining only music files in the thumb drive and try again.

Also I hope the music is arranged in folders and not in a single location?
batterylow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 11:55   #73
BHPian

I had a similar experience with the HU in my Figo. Below were the suggestions I received on our forum, which, surely worked in my case!!

1. Format the drive to FAT32 file system. (Use the full format option instead of quick format)
2. I vaguely remember this one, but there is a limit on the size of the drive. 16 gigs or so I guess (I might be wrong here though). In my case the drive was merely 4 gigs.
3. Arrange the music in folders instead of dumping everything in the drive.
4. Ensure the drive is a snug fit in the slot (Had this issue with HU in my Alto. The music just wont play after a small jerk)
5. And like batterylow has suggested in his post above, have only music files in the drive. I also had an issue at times playing 320 kbps songs. Later this got corrected on its own. Dont know what fixed it.

HTH!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 12:37   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
But the problem is that whenever I play songs from my pendrive, after 6-7 songs the HU shows "USB ERROR" and skips back to FM radio. If I try to change the source to USB, the same error pops up again. The only way to get the pendrive to work again is to format it. But then the whole cycle of events repeat.
I have got the same issue with my HU for the last couple of years. I have tried arranging the songs in individual folders, dumped everything in a single folder, selected songs from 128kbps to 320kbps, used different brands of pen drive, formatted them to FAT32 and whatever other options there are. Nothing works.

I have even checked with Ford A.S.S and their solution is to keep all the songs in the root folder, which again, doesn't work.

I have been playing songs via BT for the past 6 months and seriously considering changing the HU in my Figo.
satan's_valet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 15:42   #75
BHPian

Googled for solutions and came across one that sounded legit (atleast for the time being). Its very similar to the ones suggested by ObsessedByFIAT.

1. Format the pendrive initially with FAT32 (do not use Quick Format option)
2. Transfer the songs to the drive. Make sure that all folders and files have their names starting with alphabets only i.e no numbers, no special characters etc.
3. Delete album arts, thumbs etc from all the files (I used Mp3tag)
4. Avoid multilevel folders i.e if you have a folder with music files, do not add another folder inside it.

I followed these steps and tested my 8 GB drive with the Classic's HU and it played almost 20-25 songs without any breaks. Don't know if the problem will recur or not, but for the time being it seems like I've got the solution. The only problem is that while removing album art using Mp2tag I accidentally remove all the tags including music titles, so the player now shows 'NO MUSIC NAME' for all the songs, but its not something I can't live with.

Thanks to all those who responded. If the error pops up again, I'll be back with updates

Solution courtesy : nr.kamlesh (carwale forums)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks