Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2013, 23:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid Warranty Issues: ICE blamed for Power Window Failure

The challenge here is that Skoda goes hand-in-glove with the dealers. Both are frauds! I would suggest you to use the FB page.

Apparently, installation of accessories not authorized by Skoda generally results in warranty denial. Of course, the dealer is authorized to install any accessories and this /would not lose the warranty. The VW sales person told me the same today. Strangely enough, the dealers wont inform the customers of these facts unless you specifically ask.

Cars such as Skoda, VW, Audi & BMW are for users who'd simply use the car just as a household appliance. Its best to refrain from buying such vehicles if you intend to customize your vehicle.
Old 1st May 2013, 11:25   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
The challenge here is that Skoda goes hand-in-glove with the dealers. Both are frauds! ...
That is a rather stong, but illogical, opinion. It is extremely difficult to do so. Ignorance of the consumer doesn't mean 'fraud' by the other party.

For every instance of parts replacement, there is a cost involved. Within the warranty period the company bears that cost. After the warranty period it is the owner of the car. That vague 'Warranty will be void if ...' is a justified deterrent - it is only meant to be a *deterrent*, not a legal binding. If the dealer installs the accessories, they are meant to be responsible and have to give warranty - even if the installer was a dodo. Can the same thing be said if one uses a dodo installer of one's choice? Every one assumes that the installer of their choice is an expert. Not!

If one encounters ignorant yet egotistical service advisers, worse if there is a vested interest involved, the car manufacturer DOESN'T KNOW of that fact. They will take the DEALER'S view of the incident - obviously because the financial transaction is between the dealer and the car company for the Spares consumed. Why will they take *your* view when / if you don't know the front from the back of the problem? How will they come to know if you are chary of communicating with them? How is the car manufacturer to trust that you have in parallel done checking of your own about the problem, and can technically invalidate / disprove what the ignorant SA said?

It is a pity that the OP has encountered an SA / Dealer who is wanting to invalidate the claim IN PRINCIPLE. The noise about warranty invalidation is normally made ONLY at the time of buying the car - since the dealer stands to make money. After that everyone forgets about it, and A.S.S. don't care if there was an after-market accessory installed. This is the first time an A.S.S. is actually taking up the issue. What caused it? Your guess is as good as mine, since we are not the ones talking to the A.S.S.

BTW, a 'Dealer' and an 'A.S.S' are two different roles, just that usually both roles are played by the same owner (there is more money in A.S.S. than Dealership). Consumers usually abdicate their responsibility by assuming that the 'seller' is responsible for everything. If you buy a car from Dealer X, A.S.S. Y will never say no to a service request - warranty or no warranty. The problem is that the OP's town has ONLY 1 DEALER AND A.S.S. Larger towns have more than 1, and there is some sanity in their dealings in that situation - due to the competition. The OP perhaps has chosen NOT to go to another A.S.S. for his convenience. We can only advise - the execution lies with the OP.

Last edited by DerAlte : 1st May 2013 at 11:30.
DerAlte is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 12:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

When I mentioned the dealers and manufacturers are hand-in-glove, it also means whatever the dealer says would be considered by manufacturer and vice-versa. They never try to get to the root of the problem or listen to the vehicle owner.

If there's a malfunction the SA simply runs through the VAS scans and sends the report to Skoda and the engineer at their end sends back a communication after diagnosis. If there's an aftermarket fitment, the dealer blindly mentions the malfunction is because of the aftermarket fitment - even if its not.

I seriously still cant understand how installing an audio system in a vehicle can bring in malfunction (assuming its done by a knowledgeable engineer). Yes, with Amp(s), the drain on the battery or load on alternator may be larger, however, when the car is running, am sure this load wont be high enough to create any malfunction - at worst, the controller(s) can shut down some functions using their protective mechanisms.

If Skoda does not permit any aftermarket fitment, it should be clearly advised to the buyer at the time of purchase, similarly to what the VW salesperson told me yesterday -quite a clean deal I feel.

In the worst case the warranty is denied, the dealer can quote the part and repair costs to the customer and have it done asap, instead of simply giving them a harrowing experience!

Lastly, I can understand an increase in price of upto 30% when buying from the dealer, but 5-6 times the market price is simply absurd!

Last edited by nitinbose : 1st May 2013 at 12:25.
Old 1st May 2013, 12:59   #34
BHPian

@Der Alte,

The dealer network in Salem also owns several other skoda dealerships across Tamilnadu barring Chennai and Pondicherry. So my options are really limited. I might look at Bangalore as an option, but not sure that the dealer there might be better off compared to the one in my city.

Have posted on Skoda's FB timeline as well as in twitter, but I don't keep my hope up!.

On purchase of the car, they assured us that any ice installation that does not tamper with OEM wiring is not a problem, but they simply turn around and say that they are helpless.

It's not the cost that's a problem, but the attitude and following the warranty terms only in letter and not in spirit that puts me off. Add to that Skoda's refusal reply to emails / to communicate / co-ordinate directly with the customers to resolve the problem is simply unacceptable.

"The problem is that the OP's town has ONLY 1 DEALER AND A.S.S. Larger towns have more than 1, and there is some sanity in their dealings in that situation - due to the competition. The OP perhaps has chosen NOT to go to another A.S.S. for his convenience. We can only advise - the execution lies with
the OP"
Old 1st May 2013, 16:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeru27 View Post
... The dealer network in Salem also owns several other skoda dealerships across Tamilnadu barring Chennai and Pondicherry. So my options are really limited. I might look at Bangalore as an option, but not sure that the dealer there might be better off compared to the one in my city.

Have posted on Skoda's FB timeline as well as in twitter, but I don't keep my hope up!. ...
1. "God helps those who help themselves" - you seem to have already given up hope without seriously following up!

2. The other locations would not have the same person as SA. If it is the (dealer's) company culture - too bad you bought Skoda!!!

3. You are not even sure if what the A.S.S. guy is saying is right - it could be that the switch is kaput

4. Trying to catch fish without touching water doesn't work. Perhaps you would be better off driving to Chennai or Bangalore, even to the extent of going to non-Skoda workshops and double-checking the problem. You paid money for the car, didn't you? So why are you allowing yourself to be blackmailed by these people?
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 09:03   #36
BHPian

Thanks for the strong advice. Really appreciate it .

Am certainly not giving up, at least not yet. Was just pointing out to the severly limited options one has. Facebook post seeking help or criticising skoda are promptly deleted , twitter post only elicit a standard reply. The Skoda management is simply invisible and are hiding behind the customer care email id. Mails are mechanically acknowledged without any reply to the queries raised. The follow up options are limited to trawling the internet to find Skodaq management contact details to escalate the matter. If there are other options available please do let me know.

2. The other locations would not have the same person as SA. If it is the (dealer's) company culture - too bad you bought Skoda!!!

- Agreed

3. You are not even sure if what the A.S.S. guy is saying is right - it could be that the switch is kaput.

- You are correct here, am a bit technologically challenged , so am dependent on the word of the SA

4. Trying to catch fish without touching water doesn't work. Perhaps you would be better off driving to Chennai or Bangalore, even to the extent of going to non-Skoda workshops and double-checking the problem. You paid money for the car, didn't you? So why are you allowing yourself to be blackmailed by these people?

- I plan to take the vehicle out of the dealer to get it assessed elsewhere . If you can recommend any dealer or workshop in Bangalore that will be of great help.
[/quote]

]
Old 3rd May 2013, 12:54   #37
BHPian

Guys !

Had an frustrating day with the Skoda Dealer Yesterday!.Please bear with me if this is a lengthy read.

9.00 AM - Start to visit the dealer who is located 35 kms from my home.

9.44 AM - Received a Call from one Mr. Deepak of Skoda India , Aurangabad, who called to acknowldege my mails and promised to resolve my complaint by
afternoon.

10.17 AM : Received a call from the dealer asking me as to what am planning to do reg. replacement of the Power Window motor, informed him that am awaiting the call from Skoda, as they had promised to call back by afternoon.

11. AM :visited the dealer to check on the car and clicked few pics of the RHS door ( attached herewith).

2.00 p.m : As there was no call from SKoda HO as promised, called Mr, Deepak back. He wanted 15 minutes to call me back.

2.20 p.m : Met the GM of the skoda dealer,apprised him of the situation. He arranged a meeting with his service head.

2.40 p.m : Met the Dealer Service head : Mr. Asvein,
- He bluntly told me that they will not accept the warranty claim, as we have installed a 3rd party music system.I asked him,how a standard music
system that does not disturb/tamper the OEM cables can be a problem.The answer I received was - The power drawn by the Music system from the battery has caused improper power supply to the Power window motor, therefore the motor failed . This is the most ridiculous answer I have ever received.

I asked them as to how other cars with music systems installed ( including the ones with stock music system) are plying without any problem with any of the electricals. He said that he is merely echoing the answers given to him by SKODA.Throughout the meeting, he took a patronizing tone, and was not open to any reason.

Any queries that he was not able to answer they simply blame SKODA for their policies.

I told him that the dealer being the first line of contact between the manufacturer and the customer they have to put forward the actual details to the manufacturer instead of causing such hardship to the customer. He retorted stating that I should have been aware of the warranty policies before the purchase of the car.

Meanwhile , attempts to reach Mr. Deepak @ Skoda India went in vain as he was not available at his desk.

4.00 p.m : I ran out of patience and told that am taking the car from the workshop. Informed the GM of the discussions that I had with their Service head and how disappointed I am with their attitude. He promised to discuss this with his MD and revert back to me.

4.45 p.m: Received a call back from Deepak of Skoda India, who said that he was not able to get in touch with the Warranty team and that he will have his
answer by tomorrow ( 3rd May 2013).

7.00 p.m : Took delivery of the car after the mandatory First service, with an apology from the SA that they were not able to be of help.

3rd May
--------

11.am : Called to Deepak of Skoda India, he was not available on his desk.

12.20 p.m : Reached Deepak , he still has not been able to discuss the outcome with his team and will have an answer by evening. He also indicated that SKODA might not honour the warranty as installation of 3rd party is deemed to void the warranty, but however, he has put forward the case which is under discussion currently and that he might have an answer by evening.

It was a horrible experience, making a customer run from pillar to post with no clear communication. The Dealer states that Skoda has rejected the warranty
claim. The skoda person states that the case is under discussion. The dealer did not show any formal communication from skoda regarding this stating that the communication from skoda was done via a phone call. What can one conclude from all this ?.

If it indeed is the case, it is simply pathetic for a behemoth like skoda to resort to communicate via a phone call and certainly doesn't inspire any
confidence in the customer with regard to skoda.

Posts on Facebook elicited responses with support as well as condolences for buying a skoda!.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid Warranty Issues: ICE blamed for Power Window Failure-speaker-wire-pic.jpg  

veeru27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 17:36   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeru27 View Post
Guys !

Had an frustrating day with the Skoda Dealer Yesterday!.Please bear with me if this is a lengthy read.

2.40 p.m : Met the Dealer Service head : Mr. Asvein,
- He bluntly told me that they will not accept the warranty claim, as we have installed a 3rd party music system.I asked him,how a standard music
system that does not disturb/tamper the OEM cables can be a problem.The answer I received was - The power drawn by the Music system from the battery has caused improper power supply to the Power window motor, therefore the motor failed . This is the most ridiculous answer I have ever received. .
Food for thought.

a. The speaker gets it's power from the Stereo not directly from the battery
b. Even IF both had the same suource of power and if the speaker drew more power the power window would be straved of power hence it may not work but it wont fail as there wont be enough power to cause it to overload (aka fail).

Pose these questions to the dealer.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 03:51   #39
BHPian

I am very sorry to hear of the OP's problems with the Skoda dealer network. In Britain, I would say almost the complete opposite situation exists - Skoda and the dealer network have a Japanese/Korean-like reputation for customer satisfaction. Intelligent, common-sense people who don't want the 'Audi driver' label are buying Skodas for their no-nonsense approach.

Stick to your guns, as we say, veeru27 - don't let the dealer's intimidation affect your resolve. Businesses like this need to be made examples of - post far and wide as well as telling as many people you know to spread the word.

I would advise you to contact Skoda HQ in the Czech state. They are very proud of their product and increasingly fine reputation - not least the fact that German magazines have voted the Octavia as better than their own Golf. That is saying something, in a country where they are very sure that if nothing else, they build the world's finest cars.

Why not post this thread on British Skoda forums, informing as many people as possible of this poor service and asking for their opinion. It won't hinder your complaint and will probably give you more strength in your fight. Best of luck.
FlatOut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 08:18   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Food for thought.

a. The speaker gets it's power from the Stereo not directly from the battery
b. Even IF both had the same suource of power and if the speaker drew more power the power window would be straved of power hence it may not work but it wont fail as there wont be enough power to cause it to overload (aka fail).

Pose these questions to the dealer.
Very valid statement, they should be challenged. It is time for them to realize customers are not just some ignorant people who invest their hard earned money and listen to all situational stories cooked by dealers.
Old 4th May 2013, 09:17   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatOut View Post
I am very sorry to hear of the OP's problems with the Skoda dealer network. In Britain, I would say almost the complete opposite situation exists -
Many have already tried this in the forums but alas, Skoda India is a private entity, the Czech or the Germans have no say to what happens here. When a warranty issue comes up everyone vanishes, you are left stranded by yourself and the only support you get will be from fellow bhpians.
Some say - "its easier to contact God than contact Skda for help"

Last edited by noopster : 6th May 2013 at 08:33.
Old 4th May 2013, 11:03   #42
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Veeru if Deepak of Skoda says yes great if the response is still -ve. Ask to speak to his senior, say that the response is not acceptable and that you would like to speak to someone authorized. Also ask for a written response on why the claim is not being honoured.

A local electrician (the ones whom people go to when the vehicle is out of warranty) should be able to check the defect is due to motor or switch within 15 mins. Go on one and get this checked. There is not need to go to another city for that.
Old 4th May 2013, 14:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

Hi Veeru27,

I believe the Rapid has a non-canbus design; so you can test the working of the motor yourself at home. Start by disconnecting the connector to the motor and connect a 12V power supply to the terminals and see if the motor works. If it does, the motor is okay. If the motor is okay, the next step would be to check if the motor's power wire is indeed carrying power, this may be achieved using a multimeter. If there's no power, then the wire's to be traced back to the fuse, stalk etc.

It might be a good idea to check if there's anything obstructing the glass path or assembly in which case the motor may not power up.

Lastly, if can visit Bangalore, try vising Vinayak Skoda. I've just returned home after the a/c service from Vinayak Skoda. There was an odour when the A/C is turned ON, first few minutes. I must say, it was a pleasant service. When I asked them regarding third-party accessory fitment, the answer I got was that as long as wires are not cut/tampered, if its canbus compatible (canbus vehicles) and no illegal coding is done, its fine.

Last edited by nitinbose : 4th May 2013 at 14:31.
Old 4th May 2013, 15:45   #44
BHPian

[quote=Captain Slow;3112484]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatOut View Post
I am very sorry to hear of the OP's problems with the Skoda dealer network. In Britain, I would say almost the complete opposite situation exists - QUOTE]

Many have already tried this in the forums but alas, Skoda India is a private entity, the Czech or the Germans have no say to what happens here. When a warranty issue comes up everyone vanishes, you are left stranded by yourself and the only support you get will be from fellow bhpians.
Some say - "its easier to contact God than contact Skda for help"
It may make sense to approach an auto-electrician if you continue to get nowhere, then - and present Skoda with the bill and written confirmation of what the problem was, and that a radio/speaker installation could not have caused the problem.

Skodas are fairly simple cars (as much as any car can be today) and generally fairly reliable. With the attitude of your dealer, I would be seeking out a good independent workshop who has experience of VW/Audi/Skoda cars.
Old 4th May 2013, 18:47   #45
Senior - BHPian

Add to my previous post: Pay for the repair this time. Check with the dealer if they do ICE installations, if yes, have them check/re-wire as per "Skoda standards". Once this is done, your electrical warranty resumes.

Last but not least, this is the case with all vehicle vendors, just that they're simpler in design, there's not much to get damaged, so things just go on. I do recall an SA in Nandi Toyota narrated me an incident where a car was bought in for service with a complaint the car keeps shutting down every now and then. They diagnosed it to the roof mounted LCD screen which was powered from the same wire going to the ECU, resulting in ECU damage. Toyota denied the warranty no matter how much the owner tried to negotiate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks