Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2013, 22:49   #16
BHPian

Re: 5x7 Speaker brackets broken. Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Sir my guess is that 6x9 is the frame size. 13cm x 18cm is the cone size. Usually this is not mentioned but Sony chooses to mention it.
Thanks for the info. I thought you may have missed that line. Also, I felt sony may have listed it under 6x9 for some other reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
They are 2-way coaxes.
It is a conventional 6x9 - mentioned in brochure on page 3.
Thanks for the info. I had seen the brochure, but, I felt sony may have listed it under 6x9 for some other reason since 13 x 18 cm was mentioned separately for this and not for the others.

Now, having exhausted the 5x7 option, and not wanting to prolong this indefinitely, and since I am getting some overall overhaul done on the car, I have decided to finish this the easiest way.

I will buy 6 x 9 speakers and replace the OEM ones with that. Please give me some recommendations, considering the following.
* HU power output is only 22W RMS per channel
* Priority for clarity over absolute loudness
* Not important, but better bass than treble

Also please mention any other point to remember while doing this upsize install. Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd October 2013, 15:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayson View Post
... I will buy 6 x 9 speakers and replace the OEM ones with that. Please give me some recommendations, considering the following.
* HU power output is only 22W RMS per channel
* Priority for clarity over absolute loudness
* Not important, but better bass than treble

Also please mention any other point to remember while doing this upsize install. Thanks in advance.
In your case, it looks like a 6x9 would be a drop in replacement on the parcel shelf, since the mounting holes look like those for 6x9. Audition 6x9s from Pio, JBL, Infinity, Polk etc. they would meet your needs.

In case the 6x9 frame fouls with the opening, the installer will use an MDF spacer to adapt it.
Old 2nd October 2013, 23:05   #18
BHPian

Visited the nearby accessory shop, and had a look. They had Pioneer, Blaupunkt, JBL (out of stock), Alpine and Sony in the 0-4k+ range. I have selected the Alpine SPJ-69C3 tentatively and hope to pick them up tomorrow.

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SPJ-69C.../dp/B0080REDT4

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SPJ-69C.../dp/B004Y708VG

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SPJ-69C.../dp/B008ANE75I

Opinions please. The price mentioned is 3.9k without any bargaining.

Quote:
Audition 6x9s from Pio, JBL, Infinity, Polk etc. they would meet your needs.
Is Audition specific to Pioneer or all these brands? A google search was not very forthcoming.

Quote:
In case the 6x9 frame fouls with the opening, the installer will use an MDF spacer to adapt it.
In this case, I am the installer. Would MDF or metal be preferable? Is metal adapter available in India / accessory shops here?
Old 3rd October 2013, 23:16   #19
BHPian

Purchased the Alpine SPJ-69C3 today. Also asked for spacers, but they quoted INR 200 per piece of badly made plywood spacer. They were about 3/4in thick too. Would make the speakers look like monuments on my parcel shelf. It was available in 3 colours though.

Brought the ovals home, and as I was expecting, not a direct fit. When something fits perfect i'm happy, when its significantly off, i'm not sad. But when it is off by just tiny bit, it is very frustrating.

The screw holes are off by a matter of millimeters. And the increased diameter is also a problem. In the Ikon, the parcel shelf sits on a metal sheet. This sheet has a ~190x120mm ellipse hole, through which the factory speaker fits perfectly. The new ones get stuck like an obese cat in a window grille. So I have to elevate the speaker about 10mm, using a spacer, which I will try to have custom made, conforming to the Alpines' shape, at the nearby CNC router workshop. Will post updates soon.

Thank you everyone for the help provided.
Old 4th October 2013, 14:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Is Audition specific to Pioneer or all these brands? A google search was not very forthcoming. ...
Audition, as in 'listen to the speaker before taking a decision'!

Quote:
... The new ones get stuck like an obese cat in a window grille. ...
Nice way of describing the situation!

I am not sure if raising the 6x9 by 10mm will clear the opening. Better measure first: keep the speaker in the hole in the metal OE mount, and measure the distance from the sheet to the underside of the speaker. Add 2mm, and this should be the thickness of the spacer. Not difficult to make it out of marine ply or MDF - just needs a drill and a jig saw.

Mount the spacer first by using screws from below (access via boot). Then mount the speaker from top.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 21:25   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if raising the 6x9 by 10mm will clear the opening. Better measure first: keep the speaker in the hole in the metal OE mount, and measure the distance from the sheet to the underside of the speaker. Add 2mm, and this should be the thickness of the spacer. Not difficult to make it out of marine ply or MDF - just needs a drill and a jig saw.
Unfortunately, I do not have a jigsaw, or steady hands. And since the spacers will be exposed, I want them as good looking as possible.

I did just what you described. The gap is slightly below 10mm. I went to the CNC place with a trace of the outline, but he requires material to be provided. So I went to a modular kitchen maker, and got myself a piece of 12mm white multi-wood, since a small piece of MDF was difficult to find. Multi-wood is a bit denser, therefore heavier, harder and, according to the source, more water resistant than MDF. Took it back to Mr. CNC, but his scanner was unserviceable, and his CorelDraw outline was not matching mine.

So got the outline scanned elsewhere, and now making the lines myself. Will give it to him tomorrow and hopefully should have the spacers by evening.
Old 8th October 2013, 11:40   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Opinions please. The price mentioned is 3.9k without any bargaining.
The Alpine C69 are decent for the money.

Quote:
So got the outline scanned elsewhere, and now making the lines myself. Will give it to him tomorrow and hopefully should have the spacers by evening.
Do put pictures. There are many members who will benefit from your exercise.
Old 8th October 2013, 20:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Do put pictures. There are many members who will benefit from your exercise.
I will upload everything once i'm done, probably as DIY experiences.

Most Viewed