Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2013, 20:15   #1
BHPian

5x7 Speaker brackets broken. Help?

Hi, everyone. I would like your help with some info. I have some trouble with my current setup, and am not here to upgrade. Here are some details first.

Car: 2006 F Ikon 1.3
HU: Stock, 1DIN Kenwood (model unsure, irrelevant)
Speakers: Stock, door and rear parcel shelf

As far as I know the speakers are Kenwood too, but are covered by ford stickers.

Now, my problem is that, the rear speaker brackets, ie: the plastic part the holds the mesh grill, is cracked extensively. After buying the car initialy, my dad complained of some vibrations in the rear for the first service, and the service center tightened the speaker screws till the bracket broke, and then just feviquick-ed it. Now after the years of vibes and tension and heat the screw holes have broken into several pieces.

You can imagine the racket this causes, not only when playing but even when the car goes over uneven surfaces. So I need to change the bracket/grill and here starts my troubles.

Firstly, shops don't have spare brackets and secondly, I think my size is 5x7in which is smaller than the after market size, so the shops that do have are giving me grills too big.

Here are my questions,
1) How is the size measured? Is it screw hole to screw hole? or Is it the size of the rectangle the speaker's outer oval's edges would touch.

2) Is there a possibility that I will get replacement grills? The current ones are quite subtle and low profile, and I like it that way, but I can't be choosy.

If no grills can be sourced, i'm willing to get a cheap pair of 5x7s just to get the grills.
3) Can you please list a few?

If I can't get cheap 5x7s either, I am willing to replace my current ones to moderate costing 5x7, provided they are better than the ones I have and are compatible.
4) Can you recommend anything, having exhausted the above two options?

Please help. The rattle is driving the OCD me mad. I have left the rear speakers disconnected, so that I don't have to suffer them when some over enthusiastic passengers turn on the music, even after I tell them the speakers are damaged.

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th June 2013, 00:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Could you post a few pictures please? Difficult to visualize otherwise.

Are all the brackets gone, or is at least one intact?

I presume all the speakers are working.
Old 8th June 2013, 00:51   #3
BHPian

re: 5x7 Speaker brackets broken. Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Could you post a few pictures please? Difficult to visualize otherwise. Are all the brackets gone, or is at least one intact? I presume all the speakers are working.
Speakers are working.

Both rear brackets are damaged. Now, i'm not sure if both of us are referring
to the same thing when we say 'bracket'. I have attached a sample picture. I will attach my own if required.

My grille is like in A. Once the metal mesh is pulled out, we see the plastic bracket as in B screwed into the panel, with the speaker below it. This plastic bracket is cracked as indicated by the red lines, and some cracked off pieces are missing too.
Attached Thumbnails
5x7 Speaker brackets broken. Help?-spglfik.jpg  

Old 8th June 2013, 09:47   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayson View Post
Can you recommend anything, having exhausted the above two options?
Hi Ayson,

I have 6x9 JBL GTOs in my IKON, installed with a spacer. I guess 6x9 is the best option/upgrade over the company installed ones. The Ikon has a nice enclosure and it demands proper speakers in the back.
Old 8th June 2013, 11:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... My grille is like in A. Once the metal mesh is pulled out, we see the plastic bracket as in B screwed into the panel, with the speaker below it. This plastic bracket is cracked as indicated by the red lines, and some cracked off pieces are missing too.
As @dhanush recommends, it will good if you replace the 5x7 with 6x9 ovals. Would cost you 3.5-4K plus spacer cost.

If you don't want to replace, those 'brackets' (grill holders, actually) can be reused. Ask a general handyman to fashion 2" long crescent-shaped (the shape of the inside corner) 'washer' out of alu sheet (1mm or thicker), with a hole in the center corresponding to the hole location on the grill holder. The washer will hold the existing bracket tight to the panel without cracking the plastic any further.
Old 8th June 2013, 11:30   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
with a hole in the center corresponding to the hole location on the grill holder. The washer will hold the existing bracket tight to the panel without cracking the plastic any further.
Is not aluminium a bit too soft? Galvanised Mild Steel might work better.
Old 8th June 2013, 11:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
... Is not aluminium a bit too soft? Galvanised Mild Steel might work better.
It definitely would. However, since there is almost no bending load, any thin, moderately stiff material like alu or even FRP will do the job of holding the grill holder in place, preventing it from vibrating.
Old 10th June 2013, 20:52   #8
BHPian

Re: 5x7 Speaker brackets broken. Help?

Hi, sorry for the delay in posting back. Was busy with some other work. Anyway, here are the updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
....I guess 6x9 is the best option/upgrade over the company installed ones. The Ikon has a nice enclosure and it demands proper speakers in the back.....
Im not really looking to upgrade. Not because of the cost or anything but,
1) The ones I have are pretty subtle and low profile. Also they blend with the rest of the interiors very well. These aftermarket 6x9 ones look I have some monster machine bolted onto the parcel shelf.

2) Im a fan of music, but not really loud music. Clear music is what I like. Again, I don't really care for music while driving. For me it's just an accessory in a modern car. Sometimes passengers crank up the volume and I find it distracting while driving, so I don't want to better equip my annoying co-inhabitants.

Also you slightly misunderstood my 4th query. Read text in bold, to get my intention.

Quote:
If I can't get cheap 5x7s either, I am willing to replace my current ones to moderate costing 5x7, provided they are better than the ones I have and are compatible. 4) Can you recommend anything, having exhausted the above two options?

Quote:
....If you don't want to replace, those 'brackets' (grill holders, actually) can be reused....
I had a feeling I was using an incorrect term.

Quote:
Ask a general handyman to fashion 2" long....
I was quite excited by you recommendation, till I went to take a look again at my speaker. Here's what I saw.

This is what greets me. Slight damage visible.

Closer look at the exterior damage.

And the nasty surprise once the grill is removed.

So, I believe there is no option but to replace the grill holder. Is there a possibility that I will get a replacement?

If no grills can be sourced, i'm willing to get a cheap pair of 5x7s just to get the grills. Can you please direct me to a few?

If I can't get cheap 5x7s either, I am willing to replace my current ones to aftermarket 5x7s. Can you recommend anything compatible.

I know im skipping over the easiest option of just putting 6x9s, but I really don't want too much power, or physical bulk, which is ensured with this spacer, I think.

Thanks again.
Old 11th June 2013, 09:54   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I know im skipping over the easiest option of just putting 6x9s, but I really don't want too much power, or physical bulk, which is ensured with this spacer, I think.
There are many 6x9s that are not very loud. The Alpine 690A (now distontinued) for example. The sad thing is that the 6x9s that are neutral (which also makes them sound less loud as they have less boom tizz) are also more expensive. try out a a few as this is really your simplest option.
Old 11th June 2013, 14:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... So, I believe there is no option but to replace the grill holder. Is there a possibility that I will get a replacement? ...
Ah well!

I have not heard of any 'cheap' 5x7s - they are as costly as 6x9s. But, I see 2 possibilities apart from replacing with 6x9s.

1. Repair and reuse the existing one as best as you can:
- First, stick a thin stiff plastic sheet (like the thin colored plastic file folders) with synthetic rubber glue (e.g. Fevicol SR), on the reverse side. Cut out the oval portion above speaker. This will prevent pieces from falling off if further cracks appear
- If you have the broken pieces, put them together with cyanoacrylate glue (e.g. Feviquick)
- Wherever you don't, work with some M-Seal to fill out the missing areas
- Mount it back with the spacers I described earlier

2. Fashion a replacement 'grill' out of 1/4" MDF or ply (any decent carpenter should be able to do it):
- Make 2 pieces (for each speaker) of the same shape as the existing grill base
- In one piece, the top piece, the oval inner dimensions should be the size of the existing grill (just lay the perforated grill and mark the outside with pencil)
- Lightly round off all the sharp edges with file / sandpaper
- Make holes in the bottom piece corresponding to the mounting screw holes
- Get 4 small ceramic magnets (like the ones on fridge decoration magnets; usually available in stationery shops) and 4 GI sheet pieces (approx 1" square) OR get velcro strips (hook & loop, approx. 1" length, 4 pieces)
- If using magnets, make small holes in the bottom part, deep enough to hold the magnets, and stick the magnets with Araldite. Stick the GI sheet pieces with Araldite at the corresponding locations the underside of the top piece
- If using velcro strips, stick them with Araldite to the upper side of the bottom piece and underside of the top piece (if required, chisel out about a mm of the MDF or Plywood so that the velcro base is inset)
- Get some black dupatta cloth. Stick the dupatta cloth on the bottom and top pieces with Fevicol. Cut out the oval portion, as well as the parts over the magnets / velcro. Alternately, paint the pieces black or grey
- Insert the existing perforated grill into the top piece, and tack it with stapler or small nails on the inside
- Mount the bottom piece in place first. Place the top piece over it and voila, you are good to go

PS: Please don't forget to take pics of the steps, and post your experience in the DIY section

Last edited by DerAlte : 11th June 2013 at 14:40.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 00:05   #11
BHPian

Hi, I am still on a quest for a factory finish solution and I believe I am one step closer.

Can anyone verify is the following is a 5x7 speaker and whether it is a direct fit for the Ikon.

http://www.sony.co.in/product/xs-gtf69382

If it is, are they any good?
Old 30th September 2013, 10:23   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can anyone verify is the following is a 5x7 speaker and whether it is a direct fit for the Ikon.

http://www.sony.co.in/product/xs-gtf69382

If it is, are they any good?
Most probably it would need a hole for 6x9. The model number says a lot - the "69382" implies that it is a 6x9. The third number implies that is ia a 3 way. The 8 implies there is a 8cm mid and the 2 implies there is a 2cm tweeter. In this case the tweeter sits on a 'bridge' and is a seperate assembly.

Sony is not known for it's speakers. That said as a generic rule do not get fooled by 6x9 or 6" caoxial speakers that claim to be 3 or 4 way. They are not nescarilly better that a good 2 way. The mid in many of these speakers typically operates from 1k-4K and the smaller tweeter then takes over after 4k.

Last edited by navin : 30th September 2013 at 10:26.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 11:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
....the "69382" implies that it is a 6x9...
In the description on the page, in case you missed it, it says "13cm x 18cm GTF Series Full Range 3-Way Coaxial Speaker". 13, 18 cm almost = 5, 7 in. So I was wondering what these figures imply.

Quote:
....do not get fooled by 6x9 or 6" caoxial speakers that claim to be 3 or 4 way. They are not nescarilly better that a good 2 way...
I looked at only because I believed it was a 5x7. I do not know what 3 and 4 way are, as of now. From you post, I am guessing it must be the number of cones that produce the various frequency ranges.

Can you please take a look at my original speakers (pic above) and tell me what they are. ie. 2/3/4 way? They are labeled 'Ford' and are most likely Kenwood.
Old 1st October 2013, 12:57   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In the description on the page, in case you missed it, it says "13cm x 18cm GTF Series Full Range 3-Way Coaxial Speaker". 13, 18 cm almost = 5, 7 in. So I was wondering what these figures imply.
Sir my guess is that 6x9 is the frame size. 13cm x 18cm is the cone size. Usually this is not mentioned but Sony chooses to mention it.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 16:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Can you please take a look at my original speakers (pic above) and tell me what they are. ie. 2/3/4 way? They are labeled 'Ford' and are most likely Kenwood.
They are 2-way coaxes.

Quote:
Sir my guess is that 6x9 is the frame size. 13cm x 18cm is the cone size. Usually this is not mentioned but Sony chooses to mention it.
It is a conventional 6x9 - mentioned in brochure on page 3.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks