AAAGHHHHHH !!!!!!!! amade i
Old 6th June 2006, 17:29   #17
BHPian

A MAde in China NAK>>>>>>>>>>>kill me first
Old 6th June 2006, 17:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456
but he had a grt set up... full passive amplification... that was abt 6 yrs back

Now what on earth is that? I'm really curious.
Old 6th June 2006, 17:39   #19
BHPian

im not sure either..BT...my friend had explained me soem jargon...went over my head... soemthing about power amps doing all the work.. he actaully only had two massive Nakamichi PA 7 mono block power amps driving his speakers...no pre amp..CD player( a Meridian ) + power amp+ speakers..
Old 6th June 2006, 17:50   #20
BHPian

How good are Bose setups as compared to the Nakamichi's?
Any comparisons ?
Old 6th June 2006, 18:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
im not sure either..BT...my friend had explained me soem jargon...went over my head... soemthing about power amps doing all the work.. he actaully only had two massive Nakamichi PA 7 mono block power amps driving his speakers...no pre amp..CD player( a Meridian ) + power amp+ speakers..
Hmm, there's no such thing as passive amplification whether or not a pre-amp exists. Anyway, there must be a pre-amp someplace in that chain, it's impossible not to have one. I haven't come across a Meridian CD player with a built in pre-amp, or a Meridian Stereo Receiver for that matter.
Old 6th June 2006, 18:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Forget the deck and get a new one...I doubt if it can be repaired . ..btw which system do u have???..u can mail me the deck..i can use it as a mantle piece in my room..................................im really a Nak freak...well congrts u are my first car Naks user i know
its not cracked or anything. i would have sent it to a service centre but there arent any left.

nakamichi decks arent tht rare. my maama also had one in his car

Last edited by khanak : 6th June 2006 at 18:10.
Old 6th June 2006, 19:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Folks, Yes its true, Nak is now 100% owned by a Chinese company. In fact we seriously evaluated Nak as a brand we wanted to represent. Unfortunately, the company's current products are only second to Takara in terms of build quality. There is a very high failure rate, hence we had the reject them and some time thereafter a Delhi based company has taken their distribution. Poor guys. They imported some stock of car audio too. They are only too glad to sell any of that stock thats gathering dust. Venu of TMC Bangalore had in fact taken a trial order from them but I am told he returned the stock as he didnt find the product up to the mark.

Sadly like many other brands, Nak too has met an untimely end not befitting its earlier glory.
Old 6th June 2006, 20:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

THAR she BLOWS... another one bites the dust!

Who knows... maybe our home grown BPL will become a world beater...

MAybe Gunbir will start a brand - ... say .... a la "Nikitasha" HU....
Old 6th June 2006, 23:24   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1000f
Any comparisons ?
Is this a serious question? Or are you kidding?
Old 7th June 2006, 09:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1000f
Any comparisons ?
My friend...BOSE is the crappiest form of music u can hear..if you are ever gonna upgrde ur home HI -Fi never ever go in for Bose... You are comparing the Late Queen Nakamichi to the pariah dog Bose...

well i call for a 3 day mourning for the Queen..May her soul rest in peace...
Old 7th June 2006, 10:01   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
I haven't come across a Meridian CD player with a built in pre-amp, or a Meridian Stereo Receiver for that matter.
B&T you are too young but in 1989 Meridian had a model called the 208 that had a digital preamp built in. JA or Stereophile reviewed it below
http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/1290meridian/

This was the precursor for many CD players incl the famed Marantz CD63 series which had a volume control on the CD player. There were significant differences between the implemenataion of the volume control in the Marantz and the Meridian - The Meridian was far better and more "correct".

I know many who used a Marantz 6x series machine hooked directly to power amps. You had to be careful on power up as the default level was full volume on power up so you had to power up and then lower volume to minimum and then slowly raise it to the level you wanted. Still this was a oft done thing.

Another Bose story. Some time in the 80s I set up a simple system for a friend using parts bought in a garage sale. The parts were an Onkyo CD player and tapedeck, HK reciever and a pair of EPI speakers (MTM with an off center tweeter) wired with 3-braided Rat-shack zip cord.

Now this guy had a pair of Bose 501s and was amazed how these garage sale speakers "sounded better" than the Bose. I told him that if he prefers the Bose sound I can reproduce it. So we went to Rat-shack and picked up a $70 10 band octave equalliser (it had seperate controls for left and right channels). Then I randomly boosted 4 frequencies (using 4 fingers on 4 sliders) about 6db and cut 4 frequencies by about the same and voila the EPI now sounded quite like the Bose! Then we returned the EQ to Rat-shack.

oh yes and to get back on topic Nakamichi has seen it's best days. I sincerly hope someday that Bose takes it over after what the present management has done to it Bose would be a step up.
Old 7th June 2006, 10:37   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
Who knows... maybe our home grown BPL will become a world beater...
Thats tough.. the ProFX (owned by BPL) showroom guys in Blr happily rip off the ProFX sticker from their equipment to assure you that its really a Denon underneath !!!
Old 7th June 2006, 10:40   #29
BHPian

the Bose 601's are the only slightly decent speakers ive heard amongst the lot..rest are ^$@*..The only reason Bose sels is because its very well marketted....it has the highest ad budget for any speaker brand in teh US... and 99% of the public doesnt knwo anythig abt sound..so...BOSE gets away with murder.....

The correct way to buy Hi-FI would be to take your own favourite CD's to a store and hear different speakers b4 U decide to buy BOSE.... make A/B comparisons with the same soundtrack... and see what u like..... Dont make hasty decisions before u buy any Hi - FI equipment... Hear hear and hear...
Old 7th June 2006, 12:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey all.. are there any NAK freaks!.... wel i for one used to drool over there cassette decks ( for home audio )...when ppl used to hear them.....never had teh chance to own one though...

I tried finding Nak car audio in delhi..cudnt get hold of any....... anyone knows where I cud get them here.....
Why dont you try for Mark Lewinson

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks