Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2013, 11:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Smartphone Mirroring on Head-Unit

Hi guys,

With the amount of features that new headunits are offering, one of the commonly used ones are MirroLink and AppRadio where one can 'mirror' their smartphone's display and operations on the headunit.

Now AppRadio seems pretty simple where there is an app available for iPhone and Andriod which is compatible with respective headunits. However, 'DriveLink' is an app meant for headunits with MirrorLink and this app is only available in Euope. It has been quiet a while now and it has not yet been released in Asia. I have heard that there is a 'jailbroken' version which is available and compatible worldwide.

Is anyone aware of this or why this app is not released in Asia and if it expected anytime soon?
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2013, 01:05   #2
BHPian

re: Smartphone Mirroring on Head-Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi guys,

With the amount of features that new headunits are offering, one of the commonly used ones are MirroLink and AppRadio where one can 'mirror' their smartphone's display and operations on the headunit.

Now AppRadio seems pretty simple where there is an app available for iPhone and Andriod which is compatible with respective headunits. However, 'DriveLink' is an app meant for headunits with MirrorLink and this app is only available in Euope. It has been quiet a while now and it has not yet been released in Asia. I have heard that there is a 'jailbroken' version which is available and compatible worldwide.

Is anyone aware of this or why this app is not released in Asia and if it expected anytime soon?
DriveLink is the app for Andriod phones to connect to MirrorLink enabled HeadUnits.
MirrorLink protocol is more generic across manufacturers.
Nokia has CarMode app to connect to MirrorLink headUnits and CarMode is available in India too.
I have one in my car. Check this link:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3314225
Old 10th December 2013, 20:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilophile View Post
DriveLink is the app for Andriod phones to connect to MirrorLink enabled HeadUnits.
MirrorLink protocol is more generic across manufacturers.
Nokia has CarMode app to connect to MirrorLink headUnits and CarMode is available in India too.
I have one in my car. Check this link:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3314225
Anything for iPhone which can be connected to a MirrorLink Headunit?
Old 10th December 2013, 22:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Anything for iPhone which can be connected to a MirrorLink Headunit?
As far as I know MirrorLink protocol is very generic and any phone should be able to provide compatibility.
However, looks like Apple is yet to provide support. Check this link: http://www.mirrorlink.com/about/faq.html

Read the answer for "Does iPhone support MirrorLink"?

Mirrorlink is still in its nascent stage. So before you buy the head unit ensure that your phone is listed in its compatible device list.
Old 11th December 2013, 14:02   #5
BHPian

All the 2014 series of Pioneer AVH head unit (AVH x1690,2690, so on) has Mirror link support for Android smart phones that supports the protocol. As far as I saw in an installer place, it needs to be connected using a connector with usb port of android phone and it replicate the smartphone (saw it with a Sony Xperia) screen. But the smartphone screen would be always on (so battery drains fast as the mobile was not getting charged, not sure why!) and it works only with a connector, no wireless option for lower end models and not sure if it would be in high-end models also. For iPhone previous pioneer AVH models also support this screen mirroring (haven't seen in action though) using wired connection. I prefer to see the GPS directly in my mobiles 4.5" screen mounted on a mobile holder.

Last edited by dipdawiz : 11th December 2013 at 14:24. Reason: wrong information, realized later
Old 24th December 2013, 10:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilophile View Post
As far as I know MirrorLink protocol is very generic and any phone should be able to provide compatibility.
However, looks like Apple is yet to provide support. Check this link: http://www.mirrorlink.com/about/faq.html

Read the answer for "Does iPhone support MirrorLink"?

Mirrorlink is still in its nascent stage. So before you buy the head unit ensure that your phone is listed in its compatible device list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post
All the 2014 series of Pioneer AVH head unit (AVH x1690,2690, so on) has Mirror link support for Android smart phones that supports the protocol. As far as I saw in an installer place, it needs to be connected using a connector with usb port of android phone and it replicate the smartphone (saw it with a Sony Xperia) screen. But the smartphone screen would be always on (so battery drains fast as the mobile was not getting charged, not sure why!) and it works only with a connector, no wireless option for lower end models and not sure if it would be in high-end models also. For iPhone previous pioneer AVH models also support this screen mirroring (haven't seen in action though) using wired connection. I prefer to see the GPS directly in my mobiles 4.5" screen mounted on a mobile holder.
Thank you for your replies guys. Here is the thing - I am using the Alpine ICS-X8 which is a MirrorLink compatible head unit. I used to hook it up with my Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone which required an app called DriveLink in order to have Navigation and other apps to be 'mirrored' and controlled on the screen of the head unit. Now since DriveLink is only available officially in Europe, I used the 'jailbroken' version which was a '.apk' file. I was super happy with the outcome as I also used to listen to TuneIn Radio in my car through this.

Now I have got an iPhone 5 to replace the S3 but cannot mirror the phone to the head unit and hence was asking to find out if there is any app or anything of the sort to mirror the iPhone to the Alpine ICS-X8?
Epic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 14:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your replies guys. Here is the thing - I am using the Alpine ICS-X8 which is a MirrorLink compatible head unit.

Now I have got an iPhone 5 to replace the S3 but cannot mirror the phone to the head unit and hence was asking to find out if there is any app or anything of the sort to mirror the iPhone to the Alpine ICS-X8?
So this is more of ICS-X8 compatibility with iphone 5. From the Alpine site what I could see, sorry to say that this model does not support iphone 5 screen mirroring. This model looks like only supports ipod and iphone music playing and that is all. Please check if there is any firmware update available for the HU to support iphone screen mirroring. Surprisingly this Alpine model does not have iphone mirroring where as pioneer basic AVH models support this feature since its last year models and only now they are coming with MirrorLink. May be you like to downgrade/upgrade (choose which way you want to see it) your mobile to android again
Old 26th December 2013, 15:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post
So this is more of ICS-X8 compatibility with iphone 5. From the Alpine site what I could see, sorry to say that this model does not support iphone 5 screen mirroring. This model looks like only supports ipod and iphone music playing and that is all. Please check if there is any firmware update available for the HU to support iphone screen mirroring. Surprisingly this Alpine model does not have iphone mirroring where as pioneer basic AVH models support this feature since its last year models and only now they are coming with MirrorLink. May be you like to downgrade/upgrade (choose which way you want to see it) your mobile to android again
The thing is that I was using an iPhone 4 and then upgraded (or so I thought) to the Samsung Galaxy S3. The phone was great but started giving a lot of issues after a year of use like being really slow to the screen not timing out leading to a battery drain. I hence then changed to the iPhone 5. iOS never have such issues. Else I would never bother changing the phone.

I have checked a couple of videos on You Tube which show the ICS-X8 mirrored to an iPhone. I think instead of changing the phone, it would be wiser to change the head unit to maybe a Pioneer with AppRadio. They are way more reasonably priced than the ICS-X8 too. The issue is, I don't think any of the Pioneer head units with AppRadio have Time Alignment in Pro Mode.
Old 16th July 2014, 16:38   #9
BHPian

I have a mirrorlink enabled stock HU in my toyota fortuner. I wish to connect my samsung galaxy note 2 with the HU via mirrorlink so that I am able to see the google navigation app on the HU. Can someone advise me how to go about it. I installed Pioneer RadioApp and connected the USB cable between the phone and HU while they were connected via bluetooth but the mirrorlink button remains disabled.

Where can I find the "DriveLink" app. It says it is not compatible for my phone on google play
Old 17th July 2014, 15:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Now since DriveLink is only available officially in Europe, I used the 'jailbroken' version which was a '.apk' file. I was super happy with the outcome as I also used to listen to TuneIn Radio in my car through this.
Where did you find this jailbroken version. Can you share the link?
Old 26th July 2014, 09:10   #11
BHPian

How to check mirror link feature in Toyota HU fortuner? i have dec2013 4*4mt
Old 14th August 2014, 15:32   #12

Video streaming: From Smartphone to Head-unit?

Hi ICE gurus,

Apologies for creating a fresh thread if this has been discussed before (I did a search).

I need to know if it is possible to stream out your phone's display to an in-dash head unit -- either via Aux or using some other method.

I have a Pioneer AVX X169DVD HU (this one: http://www.snapdeal.com/product/pion...reen/763466623) in my Eon and was wondering if this could be done. If possible, this would set up a mini-GPS navigation system that I could use on the go (by opening up the phone's maps app on the HU screen).

If there is a way, please try to explain in a simple language as I am a bit of a noob on matters of ICE.

Thanks.
Old 14th August 2014, 16:20   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Video streaming: From Smartphone to Head-unit?

Not an expert myself, but had done some basic research. I think to enable this the AV System as well as the phone should support a protocol called Mirror Link which enables the phone screen to be replicated on the AVN Screen. From the link you posted, I don't think the unit supports it. Not sure if there is any other method.
Old 19th August 2014, 16:17   #14
BHPian

I was able to install and run the drivelink on my samsung galaxy note 2 but as soon as I connect it to my fortuner HU, the app on the phone crashes. Any ideas?
Old 1st September 2014, 19:53   #15
BHPian

Got mirror link running on my AVH X 8690. Guess i just posted in the wrong thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...ries-bugs.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks