Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2006, 11:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

New head unit..Need speakers

Hi,

I am getting a new JVC KD-DV7206(http://www.jvcuae.com/prodResult.asp?subsubcatid=113) from Gulf form my Santro (2003). But i am not getting any speakers. I have read couple of threads to find my speakers for the HU. Most of the time, my back seats are empty. Me and my wife love music. I have absolutely no idea of getting the right speakers. I have the following requirements/questions for the gurus. I am going to take the speaker model whichever you guys name and going to install it. I am in HYD now. Kindly help! I don't want to look like a fool at the shop.
1. Is it advisable to fix the speakers in the back?
2. Does the old model santro have any slots in the back if needed to fix it?
3. Also does it have any slots in the doors?
4. Is it advisable to fix in the doors?
5. I don't like too much noise, bass etc.
6. The speakers need to be of good quality(max 7-10k budget)
7. Don't need subwoofer at the moment (because i think it will stretch the purse and need some space in the car to fix it...please adivse)
8. The player talks about
Second Audio Output
Subwoofer Output Terminals with Level/Frequency Control.
9. Can i directly add a subwoofer at later point if needed or do i need an amplifier?
10. I have the assumption that most of the dealers sell grey products. so please adivise me on good dealer/installer for the speakers.
11. I prefer the speakers to be with bill and warranty.
12. I plan to exchange the car in couple of years. will the HU be replacable in the new car even if it has a HU?

Regards,
Mahesh.
Old 19th July 2006, 12:52   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

1. Is it advisable to fix the speakers in the back? Yeah sure, you may not be satisfied only with 2 speakers in the front
2. Does the old model santro have any slots in the back if needed to fix it?Unfortunately, No. But speakers can be fit using boxes or a parcel shelf
3. Also does it have any slots in the doors?No it does not. To fit speakers in the door, you will need to cut holes and use wooden spacer rings
4. Is it advisable to fix in the doors?Not unless you really need to fit larger speakers and you dont sound like you want to do that
5. I don't like too much noise, bass etc.I assume you want to play the system soft, that's fine
6. The speakers need to be of good quality(max 7-10k budget)You need to buy a good quality 4" speakers for the front. There aren't too many brands that make good quality 4" speakers. Avoid Sony and Pioneer. For the rear, you can out a pair of Oval 6X9 speakers, this will give you some low end in the car, wthout the sub
7. Don't need subwoofer at the moment (because i think it will stretch the purse and need some space in the car to fix it...please adivse)You can put one later when you like
Second Audio Output
9. Can i directly add a subwoofer at later point if needed or do i need an amplifier?When you decide to put a sub, you WILL need to buy an amp
10. I have the assumption that most of the dealers sell grey products. so please adivise me on good dealer/installer for the speakers.
11. I prefer the speakers to be with bill and warranty.Good preference
12. I plan to exchange the car in couple of years. will the HU be replacable in the new car even if it has a HU?Yes, you should be able to put this HU in another car, no problem.
Old 19th July 2006, 14:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sam,
So i need to go for 4" pair in front and 6*9 pair in the back. If not sony, pioneer, then which one? and please tell dealers in HYD also if you know of any. Is there any other specifications like wattage, dual cone etc?( ihave read these somewhere else). Please give me the details so that i can talk to the dealer confidently.
regds,
Mahesh.
Old 19th July 2006, 15:24   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee
Thanks Sam,
So i need to go for 4" pair in front and 6*9 pair in the back. If not sony, pioneer, then which one? and please tell dealers in HYD also if you know of any. Is there any other specifications like wattage, dual cone etc?( ihave read these somewhere else). Please give me the details so that i can talk to the dealer confidently.
regds,
Mahesh.
You can buy Blaupunkt, JBL, Alpine all are good.
Front will be 4" 2 way coaxial speakers and rear 6X9 3 way coaxial.
Old 19th July 2006, 15:27   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
...rear 6X9 3 way coaxial.
Or 2 way coaxial. Dont get those 4-5-6 way coaxials.
Old 19th July 2006, 15:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Kutlee, Recently i bought a pair of JBL component speakers from Sprocket in Hyd. They sell with B&W. They also deal with Sony & Panasonic. They don't have Pioneers and Alpines. You get a decent discount if you mention you are tbhp member.

If you don't know where the shop is, it is in Dharam Karam Road in Ammerpet, opposite to Challa nursing home. The shop is named Sprocket.
Old 19th July 2006, 17:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

many thanks to all..
I am going for JBL!. I talked to CARTRONICS TECHNOLOGIES in Ameerpet. I got the contact from fxaudio.com whom are distributors in Inida for JBL. They quoted me
937 gto series Rs4950/- for 6*9
427 gto new Rs2950/- for 4" all for B&W and taxes included
Fixing can be done at 400rs. I replied that i will contact when i get the HU. I have seen the SPROKET ad somewhere.
Do they fix these speakers? I think there is somewoodwork included for the rear speakers. I don't want to use the shelfkind of thing in the rear. instead i will put two wooden boxes in the back. the space is mostly empty but want to use as luggage space sometimes...when going to airport. so can i do a relocatable box thing in the back?
Regds
Mahesh.
Old 19th July 2006, 18:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

What's Kutlee? Any relation to Bruce Lee??
Old 19th July 2006, 20:06   #9
BHPian

I dont know much about car audio, but I was thinking that if nobody ever sits in the back, and you dont want to go through the hassle of cutting holes/making boxes for the rear 6x9's, why dont you just buy a good pair of speakers for the front only?

Put a pair of component speakers (woofer + tweeter + crossover) in the front doors (4" or 5" or 6", depending on how large a hole your Santro door can tolerate). You can get decent JBL 6" components for between 5000 and 6000. Stretch that a bit and you can get Infinity Reference 6" components for about 7000. Smaller sizes will be correspondingly cheaper. There will be some bass missing but it seems from your preferences that a lack of lows is not too much of an issue.

It will also give you a good start if you want to expand in the future (first a subwoofer + an amp to deliver the bass, followed by coaxial speakers in the rear doors to fill up the entire car with even sound, and finally a second amp to power the front speakers to unleash their true potential).
Old 19th July 2006, 20:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd
I dont know much about car audio, but I was thinking that if nobody ever sits in the back, and you dont want to go through the hassle of cutting holes/making boxes for the rear 6x9's, why dont you just buy a good pair of speakers for the front only?

Put a pair of component speakers (woofer + tweeter + crossover) in the front doors (4" or 5" or 6", depending on how large a hole your Santro door can tolerate). You can get decent JBL 6" components for between 5000 and 6000. Stretch that a bit and you can get Infinity Reference 6" components for about 7000. Smaller sizes will be correspondingly cheaper. There will be some bass missing but it seems from your preferences that a lack of lows is not too much of an issue.

It will also give you a good start if you want to expand in the future (first a subwoofer + an amp to deliver the bass, followed by coaxial speakers in the rear doors to fill up the entire car with even sound, and finally a second amp to power the front speakers to unleash their true potential).
In a Santro, to accomodate speakers in the front and rear doors, he will have to "go through the hassle" of cutting holes and installing speaker rings for spacing anyway. I am not fond of rear speakers either, but it's useful when you have passengers in the back. If you are cutting the front doors to put speakers in, might as well cut the rear doors too. It would be a better experience in the back than to have speakers in the parcel tray.
Old 20th July 2006, 10:09   #11
BANNED

Quote:
many thanks to all..
I am going for JBL!.
937 gto series Rs4950/- for 6*9
427 gto new Rs2950/- for 4" all for B&W and taxes included
Regds
Mahesh.
Sir!
It's a nice lineup you got there. But I would suggest you to go for Components in the front. 5.25" Components will do. Mounting them on the front doors will give you a neat setup too. It can be even accomodated at the stock locations with some modifications done. JBL 5.25" components costs around 5k+.
For the rear, You can stick with co-axials. But again consider door mounting the speakers rather than putting them in the boot. As you dont need too much bass, even a 6" co-axial will be sufficient. No need to go for ovals and no pangas with boot space, boxes etc.. Just a clean install!!!
Old 20th July 2006, 13:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
Sir!
It's a nice lineup you got there. But I would suggest you to go for Components in the front. 5.25" Components will do. Mounting them on the front doors will give you a neat setup too. It can be even accomodated at the stock locations with some modifications done. JBL 5.25" components costs around 5k+.
For the rear, You can stick with co-axials. But again consider door mounting the speakers rather than putting them in the boot. As you dont need too much bass, even a 6" co-axial will be sufficient. No need to go for ovals and no pangas with boot space, boxes etc.. Just a clean install!!!

aha a DVD HU. And you are not gonna buy a LCD? well?

Zak, he doesnt want to cut things. 6x9 in boxes thumps great. And doors will need some amount of damping too na? Compos would be nice though as the HU has Dolby/DTS( 2channel).

And search for SWWS install to save boot space. Or look at teh 3 piece compo install. Utilize the HU will you!
Old 20th July 2006, 14:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
aha a DVD HU. And you are not gonna buy a LCD? well?

Zak, he doesnt want to cut things. 6x9 in boxes thumps great. And doors will need some amount of damping too na? Compos would be nice though as the HU has Dolby/DTS( 2channel).

And search for SWWS install to save boot space. Or look at teh 3 piece compo install. Utilize the HU will you!
whats all about this? I want to utilise HU, but not adding to cost and cutting doors. whats this compo all about? whats coaxial, 2way then? whats SWWS? is there any JBL compo 6*9 which i can put at the back?
how much does the boxes cost??
Old 20th July 2006, 15:10   #14
BHPian

Quote:
whats all about this? I want to utilise HU, but not adding to cost and cutting doors. whats this compo all about? whats coaxial, 2way then?
Hi Kutlee,
1. Read the first thread of this forum..You will get your answers for the above.
2.For the rest use the 'search' function and you will get what you need.

Last edited by quake6 : 20th July 2006 at 15:17.
Old 3rd October 2008, 15:03   #15
BHPian

Quote:
. Is it advisable to fix the speakers in the back? Yeah sure, you may not be satisfied only with 2 speakers in the front
2. Does the old model santro have any slots in the back if needed to fix it?Unfortunately, No. But speakers can be fit using boxes or a parcel shelf
3. Also does it have any slots in the doors?No it does not. To fit speakers in the door, you will need to cut holes and use wooden spacer rings
4. Is it advisable to fix in the doors?Not unless you really need to fit larger speakers and you dont sound like you want to do that
5. I don't like too much noise, bass etc.I assume you want to play the system soft, that's fine
6. The speakers need to be of good quality(max 7-10k budget)You need to buy a good quality 4" speakers for the front. There aren't too many brands that make good quality 4" speakers. Avoid Sony and Pioneer. For the rear, you can out a pair of Oval 6X9 speakers, this will give you some low end in the car, wthout the sub
7. Don't need subwoofer at the moment (because i think it will stretch the purse and need some space in the car to fix it...please adivse)You can put one later when you like
Second Audio Output
9. Can i directly add a subwoofer at later point if needed or do i need an amplifier?When you decide to put a sub, you WILL need to buy an amp
11. I prefer the speakers to be with bill and warranty.Good preference
12. I plan to exchange the car in couple of years. will the HU be replacable in the new car even if it has a HU?Yes, you should be able to put this HU in another car, no problem.
MODS:
if someone add few more questions (~15) along with answers to that, i am sure that will be a guide to novice regarding basic car ICE'ing.

Most Viewed