Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2006, 22:41   #1

Hi Guys,

I got a new ALTO LXi and I would like to fit in a car audio system worth about Rs 20,000. I am an absolute newbie and would like guidance from the experts on what would be the best bet given the budget. I am not finicky about brands.
Old 21st August 2006, 23:43   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Sandekumar,

Welcome to team-BHP, enjoy your time here.
Firstly, please take some time out to read the rules.

Secondly, if you do a little searching, you will find a host of replies to your question. In any case I will help you now:

Keep 8000 aside for a head unit. 4" front speakers will cost you about 2-2.5.
Rear speakers about 3-4K.
There's a lot you can do with the rest of the money. Do you have a girlfriend?
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2006, 09:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Do you have a girlfriend?
........................................ ..............
Old 22nd August 2006, 10:40   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
There's a lot you can do with the rest of the money. Do you have a girlfriend?
there goes Sam's one track mind again....

Sam this forum might not be about engine vengine but it sure is about ICE vice.

20K....

I'd get a nice Hu for about 8K. this sort of HU will have 3 preouts so you can move it to your next car (I have the same HU since 1987 - ok I am nuts) but this level of HU will allow you to connect your ipod if you have one etc... so say we spend 8K on your HU.

Now a pair of components in the front and coax in the rear should run you about 9K. alternately if you want more bass a MDF rear deck, a pair of 6x9s in the rear and a set of coax in the front will also cost you about 9k (5K for the 6x9, 3K for the front and 1K for the MDF deck).

Add 2 sheets of damping material for your front doors (if you are installing the front speakers in the doors) and you are set.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2006, 12:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Sam Kapasi]Hello Sandekumar,

Welcome to team-BHP, enjoy your time here.
Firstly, please take some time out to read the rules.

Secondly, if you do a little searching, you will find a host of replies to your question. In any case I will help you now:

Keep 8000 aside for a head unit. 4" front speakers will cost you about 2-2.5.
Rear speakers about 3-4K.
Quote:
There's a lot you can do with the rest of the money. Do you have a girlfriend?[/
quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandekumar
Hi Guys,

I got a new ALTO LXi and I would like to fit in a car audio system worth about Rs 20,000. I am an absolute newbie and would like guidance from the experts on what would be the best bet given the budget. I am not finicky about brands.
i am quite sure sande here has kept what he wants to spend on his girlfriend in an alto, quite separately, away from sam's glare. this 20k, iam sure is besides that, sam. now give some advice on sound, guruji. like components, coaxials, amps, subs, cables, dampenings, the works.
Old 22nd August 2006, 13:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

esteem; @ 20k, he cant get a decent amp+ sub + damping + compos + hu

I have heard a how well a compos would go its job in an alto(speedzak's) if done properly.This itself would cost 6-7k. Also, if you are serious abt dampng an Alto, you need atleast 3-5k.

Last edited by jkdas : 22nd August 2006 at 13:16.
Old 22nd August 2006, 15:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I got a new ALTO LXi and I would like to fit in a car audio system worth about Rs 20,000.
... and Sandekumar... Allow me to give you the soundest piece of advice this side of the equator!...

Someone by the name "SPEEDZAK" will be along presently .... IGNORE everything he says!!!
Old 22nd August 2006, 15:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
esteem; @ 20k, he cant get a decent amp+ sub + damping + compos + hu

I have heard a how well a compos would go its job in an alto(speedzak's) if done properly.This itself would cost 6-7k. Also, if you are serious abt dampng an Alto, you need atleast 3-5k.
jk, dont take me too literally, pal. i am just pointing sam to the right direction here & telling him not to be distracted
Old 22nd August 2006, 16:22   #9

Few more questions

Thanks guys! for all the replies!
Sam! I am a newbie only as far as car audio is concerned...not girls.. lol

I quite like the idea of components in the front and coaxial in the rear....I was thinking on getting a alpine HU as it supports control of iPOD from the HU! Does any of the other brands have this feature?

I had got my ZEN done up in bangalore 4 years back with an alpine HU, alpine 6x9 coxials in the rear, pioneer tweeters and 4" speakers( not sure which one it was) in the front. I was quite happy with the setup then.

Ok now here are a few more questions
1. Which is a good alpine HU i can pick up within 8K-10K with iPOD control support?
2. I would like to keep the front speakers in the standard slot provided at on the dashboard right next to the windscreen. I think these can take only 4" speakers rite? Is there any thing in particular for me to look at while picking these up. Also if I pick up components for the front, will the woofers fit into this slot?
3. If I went for components for the front. Any suggestions on the brand?
4. I liked the alpine coaxials for the rear that I got on my zen. The bass was very pleasant on those. Any suggestion on this? Should I get the alpine itself?
5. Finally, I am in Hyderabad and am new here. Any suggestions on a good dealer/installer that I can go to here.
Old 22nd August 2006, 17:53   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
... and Sandekumar... Allow me to give you the soundest piece of advice this side of the equator!...

Someone by the name "SPEEDZAK" will be along presently .... IGNORE everything he says!!!
Rightly said KB!

BTW, getting components in front door of Alto is not an easy job.
Check my Alto pics for an implementation of those. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...tml#post276436
You can read the how the story continues over here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...-gone-mad.html

After reading my thread and if you get tempted to do something similar, dont ever say nobody warned you!
Old 22nd August 2006, 18:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Look who's talking Sir KB100,000,000!!
Old 22nd August 2006, 19:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hullo... SPEEDZAK took over the mantle a long time back!1

He is now fitting a PS2 in his car ***GULP***
Old 22nd August 2006, 19:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hullo... SPEEDZAK took over the mantle a long time back!1

He is now fitting a PS2 in his car ***GULP***
Yeah read about that damn you guys have some cash to spare!! Care to lend some I'm thinking my VTEC could really use a Turbo right now I'll even let you drive it if you come down to Delhi!! Promise!!
Old 22nd August 2006, 20:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Telling you... I have no cash to spare
!!... but ZAK.. now thats a different story altogether!!... He's .. well.... BLESSED!!
Old 22nd August 2006, 22:15   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I quite like the idea of components in the front and coaxial in the rear....I was thinking on getting a alpine HU as it supports control of iPOD from the HU! Does any of the other brands have this feature?
1. Which is a good alpine HU i can pick up within 8K-10K with iPOD control support?
2. I would like to keep the front speakers in the standard slot provided at on the dashboard right next to the windscreen. I think these can take only 4" speakers rite? Is there any thing in particular for me to look at while picking these up. Also if I pick up components for the front, will the woofers fit into this slot?
3. If I went for components for the front. Any suggestions on the brand?
4. I liked the alpine coaxials for the rear that I got on my zen. The bass was very pleasant on those. Any suggestion on this? Should I get the alpine itself?
5. Finally, I am in Hyderabad and am new here. Any suggestions on a good dealer/installer that I can go to here.
Alpine aint cheap. HU or speakers. I have used the Alpine 690A (6x9) and they were very good for the price.

An Alpine HU with Ipod control will run you about 16-18K the ipod control cable itself runs about 7K. However new Alpine HUs that use the 422i cable instead of the 420i cable might be a better bet. the 422i cable is much cheaper. I think it is only around 3K. Add 11-12K for an Alpine and you are talking 14-15k minimum. Blaupunkt, Pioneer, Sony might be a better bet on a budget. All of them have Hus that can control your ipod.

Components would run you 4K+ for a 4" pair. Kicker has 4" comps. However my favourite use for a dash speaker is as a mid-tweeter supported by a 6" woofer in the door. You'd need to do some serious work on your door for this though. Again we are talking of a solution that is not cheap. 6" woofers (if available) run 4K per pair+ and a pair of 4" coax will run 2.5K+ and then you will need an amp with a XO so that you can take full advantage of this setup and go active. The Pio 6100 for example can be used and it runs about 7K (the sony 554 will save yo 2K at the cost of some harshness in the HF).

given your budget this is what i'd do.

Get a good HU. Alpine if you can strech it but Blau or Pio or Sony will do too. Also look at kenwood. I have not heard the latest versions but some like Gunbir seem to think they are worth a listen. If you like 2 HUs, get the HU with the cheapest Ipod cable adapter. Budget 12k for Hu + ipod adapter.

Get a pair fo 6x9s for the rear at say 4.5k and a pair of 4" coax for the front at 2.5K. So 7K for speakers. '

total 19K + 1K for install and labour.

later you can add a pair of 6" woofer and a 4 ch amp for the front. Budget 14k. 7k for amp. 4k for 6" woofers. and 3k for cables and labour.

still later you can add a small sub and another 4 ch. amp (to drive sub and rear speakers). Budget 18k. 7K for amp and 8k for sub. 3K for cables and install.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks