Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2006, 14:05   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
And please consider that a basic distribution block costs only Rs 700 more or less. And this is mountable and comes with cover. Is this "jugad" even worth the headache?
Ok now I have a few questions, regarding the fuse/ dist. block if I am to use finolex/molex type cable for power.

Here is what I 'suppose' is correct :

1.Connect 4ga wire(in my case the finolex cable) to the car battery (+12V)
2. Connect this wire to a fuse holder?
3. Connect the wire from the fuse to a dist. box

and then

4. Connect from dist. box to 2ch (4ga and ground it)
5. Connect 2ch to the Alpine(4ch) (8ga and ground it)

Now regarding dist. box, we are talking about power dist. right?? If the basic dist. boxes provide for 1 -> 2 split then I guess i dont need to follow step 4/5 and the amps can be wired individually?

Also what sort of fuse would I require for the setup in question, and this needs to be hooked up to the cables running from the battery BEFORE the dist box correct? (Id also read that a fuse is necessary when you switch from bigger wire to smaller...)
Old 3rd September 2006, 15:14   #62
BHPian

spot on souljah.Up to step 3, u r right.And then u have to follow ur own alternative to ur steps 4&5, i mean from dis block to both amplifier with fuse.NO WAY U CAN DO IT WITHOUT FUSES UNTIL OUPUT WIRE IS OF SAME SIZE.
I highly recommed u to go to www.bcae1.com and read about fuses,page14.Infact they have mentioned change of size of wires the need of fuse.

LBM,u r talking about those fuses which we need even when we dont need dis.block but u dont have for changing the size of wires.As pointed by above website[and by gunbir in prev post,i cud lead to some fire hazard]

this is what www.bcae1.com has to say.......

In the next diagram, things get a little more complicated. As you can see, wire 'A' is used to deliver power to the distribution block. Wire 'A' is of a large enough gauge to power both amplifiers. 4 gauge wire is commonly used as a main power wire. Fuse 'A' must be rated to protect wire 'A'. Any fuse rated at less than ~150 amps is sufficient to protect a 4g wire and the vehicle (if the 4g wire is longer than ~15 feet long, you may want to limit the fuse to ~125 amps). Again, fuse 'B' protects wire 'B' and fuse 'C' protects wire 'C'. Wire segments 'X' and 'Y' MUST be as short as possible because, unless they are of the same gauge as wire 'A' (or larger), they could be a fire hazard.

In most cases, the wire size is reduced at the point of distribution. ANY time that the wire size is reduced, you must add a fuse in the line (at the point of distribution) to protect the smaller wire. Look at the following for more detailed info about changing wire sizes.
Old 3rd September 2006, 16:49   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
NO WAY U CAN DO IT WITHOUT FUSES UNTIL OUPUT WIRE IS OF SAME SIZE.
rsjaurr you are right but he is not doing such technical setup of install every fuse. There will be a main fuse at the battery and there are fuses built in the amp. so no need to worry about it.

till there is proper insulation and the wire is properly connected and correct size is used there will be no fire hazard......

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 3rd September 2006 at 17:02.
Old 3rd September 2006, 22:30   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
but he is not doing such technical setup of install every fuse. There will be a main fuse at the battery and there are fuses built in the amp. so no need to worry about it.
Since Im on a budget icing, the question of multiple fuses shouldnt even be considered as an option.

Im asking whether the following scheme........

finolex 70sq mm. cable (carries 160 amps?) ---->
fuse holder ----> Dist. box (x/y)
Dist. box (x) ----> 2ch amp
Dist. box (y) ---> ----> 4ch amp

............would be a reliable alternative to the multi fuse setup and also not making insecure/hazardous connections since there is a dist. block in place.

And of course I would need to wire the remote turn on for the amps too.

Last edited by s0uljah : 3rd September 2006 at 22:31.
Old 4th September 2006, 00:36   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
finolex 70sq mm. cable (carries 160 amps?) ---->
fuse holder ----> Dist. box (x/y)
Dist. box (x) ----> 2ch amp
Dist. box (y) ---> ----> 4ch amp
70 mmsq man are u installing 4 amps or what....u will be easily working with 35 mmsq.....dont go at 70mmsq......

http://www.the12volt.com/wiring/recwirsz.asp check this out for load rating...

get a fuse holder near the battery..no need for distribution block...do the split wire thing......It will be a cheap option to protect the wire further got to a good electrical shop ask them for wire sleeve it will help u in further protect the wire from any accident.......

For u to do the above u have to do some DIY . but by doing this you will be saving a lot of your HARD EARNED MONEY........
Old 4th September 2006, 00:49   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
70 mmsq man are u installing 4 amps or what....u will be easily working with 35 mmsq.....dont go at 70mmsq......
sorry meant to say 35... it will roughly put out the same as 4ga right... most of the amp kits have included fuses of 150anu...

Last edited by s0uljah : 4th September 2006 at 00:58.
Old 4th September 2006, 00:57   #67
Senior - BHPian

Hope it doesnt appear as if im asking the same questions again and again....... I just want to make sure...
"better to measure 10 times and cut once... rather than measure once and cut 10 times"

Quote:
For u to do the above u have to do some DIY . but by doing this you will be saving a lot of your HARD EARNED MONEY........
Thats why Im asking sooooooooo many questions. DIY seems a bit hard as the only experience Iv had is wiring a hu with speakers !!! Probably I could finalise the schematics of this and then get together with someone with experience to work it out..

Last edited by s0uljah : 4th September 2006 at 01:06.
Old 4th September 2006, 01:10   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
sorry meant to say 35... it will roughly put out the same as 4ga right... most of the amp kits have included fuses of 150anu...
the 35mmsq comes close to 2 gauge not 4 gauge here is good chart about that info....

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/257692-post3.html

dont worry friend one will only learn from mistakes I think u must try the DIY method...

we all here are for helping each other and learing new thing.....it is my pleasure helping you...

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 4th September 2006 at 01:12.
Old 4th September 2006, 01:52   #69
Senior - BHPian

My understanding is that the fuseholder(near the battery) has less to do with the amplifiers and more to do with power cable, viz : the fuse is protecting the cable/battery... and not the amps. Correct? and the inbuilt fuses in the amp would be taking caring of the requiremtents

so with a 150A fuse, If I use anything smaller than 4ga, it will cause it to short?(keeping in mind that car batteries would easily produce enough power to blow the 150a fuse)

So using the above method of 35 sq mm cable, could I safely use the 150A fuse?

And if I run this wire into a dist. block and then use smaller wire to each amplifier (individually) would I be at the risk of shorting or other such issues?
Old 4th September 2006, 01:57   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats why Im asking sooooooooo many questions. DIY seems a bit hard...
Ani... re the DB, I would suggest you take the DIY route only if...

- you have too much time on your hands, you dont know what to do with it
- you like taking risks, a charred chassis of a car you paid for excites you
- you are saving a LOT of money if you DIY
- DIYing will result in a better product / solution
- You like to learn the hard way

And, NOT because in this case...

- Its a waste of valuable time on reinventing the wheel. Instead spend it with your girlfriend (to take a page out of Sam's book).
- Its a waste of money buying special tapes, nuts and bolts etc when a cheap and reliable solution is available for nearly the same price, off the shelf
- Time is money, so since you'll be wasting both... how does this make sense?
- Safety comes FIRST
Old 4th September 2006, 02:14   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Its a waste of valuable time on reinventing the wheel. Instead spend it with your girlfriend (to take a page out of Sam's book).
- Its a waste of money buying special tapes, nuts and bolts etc when a cheap and reliable solution is available for nearly the same price, off the shelf
- Time is money, so since you'll be wasting both... how does this make sense?
- Safety comes FIRST
No questions asked regarding that.

The experience and skills of the installer is not something Im overlooking and I have no qualms in admitting that jumping into a DIY would be foolish.

Nevertheless Im just trying to judge whatever I can before I proceed with the recommendations of the installers. I would love to be able to pay the premium of a couple of thousand rupee's and use the services of proffesional installers and the best materials but its not justified for my kind of setup.

For example the installer telling me that for xxx price he can only offer 8ga setup and 24/25ga speaker wiring. After paying big bucks (by my standards) I atleast hope to get some VFM. So its not about cutting corners/cost.. but to see what best I can do with the budget I have.

I know your looking out for me, I appreciate that

p.s : yeah im definately wasting a lot of time on this.... wish the girlfriend was here, alas im in a long distance relationship, she is 1000's of km away
Old 4th September 2006, 02:33   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The experience and skills of the installer is not something Im overlooking and I have no qualms in admitting that jumping into a DIY would be foolish.
Actually, I meant those remarks ONLY for the distribution block query. I totally agree on going DIY as far as the install is concerned though. Our very own Dr RSJaurr went DIY on his install and on inspection, Jb and I found his install way above average... So in case he wants to retire from the stressful life of a Doc and switch careers, a cushy ICE install business is a possibility...
Old 4th September 2006, 19:11   #73
BHPian

No plan to retire from medical profession as of now though i decided to shift to IT 5-6 yrs back after getting inspired from one of my classmate and joined NIIT for 6months only to change my mind again,thankfully.

My install was not typical DIY and i did need installer's help and paid him 500 rs though he demanded only 100rs and 150 extra for amplifier.He was a kind of labourer who was hired by me to do the things for me and he did it very politely what i told him to do.I also got him to talk to JB and installer got some good tips from him.
We were only 70% done at 12midnight and his wife has to send someone to call him home.

But beleive me he dint know anything about crossover,gains etc.As soon as he connected spk wire to amp and turned on HU,he rotated all the gains and xover knobs on the amp to any level and my spk sounded even worse than my walkman.Then i was able to take control of situation and set the gains to abt 50% and xover at about 100[HPF].
He was just stunned to see the high build quality of all the stuff as he has never seen such high class spk and wiring before.

I have many more funny stories to tell about my ICE but dont want to add to server's space.
Old 4th September 2006, 20:43   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, I meant those remarks ONLY for the distribution block query. I totally agree on going DIY as far as the install is concerned though...
gunman gotcha the first time
when you had taken up the method with Lbm !

Pulling an 8ga from the 2ch to power the 4ch is definately going to cause this amp to overheat as the alpine will be sucking power, might cause meltdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
My install was not typical DIY and i did need installer's help .......

I have many more funny stories to tell about my ICE but dont want to add to server's space.
Obviously some assistance is needed for any install, unless of course you have had first had experience. In my case there is the question of cutting the front door panel to accomodate the 6.5" components. Also I need to secure the crossovers, so that they arent tossed around!

Bring on the stories, I dont think it would be an issue as long as the 2 smiley rule is followed !!

As of now Im undecided regarding the install... DIY or not!! Would be great to find someone with an open spool of 4gauge !! That along with one of the recommended amp kits should see me through the power part im concerned about.

O/T : Today I stopped by some installers for kits from twister/tsunami etc

one place had 3 BoSS Amp kits
a. original (forgot the price)
b. malaysian fake (1.5k ??)
c. chinese fake (under 750rs)

hehe, poor guy was trying to build the base for a sale on the fact that he had disclosed everything to me and that he would never lie

Last edited by s0uljah : 4th September 2006 at 20:44.
Old 13th February 2008, 02:44   #75
BHPian

Very good thread.......Got a lotta info on MDF enclosures

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks