Team-BHP - VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/165637-vw-polo-diy-delphi-rcd-510-headunit-9w7-bluetooth-unit-installation.html)

Installed the Delphi based RCD 510 in my car yesterday. It was a simple DIY and took 15 minutes all-in-all. I shall list down the entire procedure for this based on the 2013 cars which were shipped with the 2 CANbus connectors in the ISO connector A. Owners who wish to upgrade to this unit need to look no further - the next few posts will cover everything on this subject. :)

Before we begin, I wanted to point out the differences between the Delphi and the Bosch manufactured RCD 510:
a. The Bosch unit displays the contacts’ directory and the call list whereas the Delphi unit does not. Like this:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-bluetoothoptionalrcd510radio.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-diallednumbersbluetoothoptionalrcd510radio.jpg

b. The Bosch unit displays the dialpad for dialing a call whereas the Delphi unit does not. Like this:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-dialpadbluetoothoptionalrcd510radio.jpg

c. The Bosch unit supports multiple languages whereas the Delphi does only English and Chinese.

d. The Bosch unit supports digital radio (DAB) whereas the Delphi unit does only FM and AM. It doesn't matter since India does not have digital radio broadcast as yet.

e. The Bosch unit requires VW's proprietary MDI (Media Device Interface) to plug a USB mass storage device to the HU whereas the Delphi HU does it with a simple USB cable.

f. The Bosch unit displays the song details viz. artist, album and title on the MFD of the cluster whereas the Delphi unit only displays the track number and the folder number.

g. The Bosch unit is Made in Portugal whereas the Delphi unit is Made in China.
Parts Required:

1. RCD 510 HU - 3AD 035 190A.

There are several variants of the RCD 510 unit based on the make (Delphi for the Chinese and US regions, Bosch for the EU regions) and connectors (without RVC connectivity, with RVC connectivity, with chrome knobs, with black knobs etc.). I chose the cheaper Delphi one with the RVC input. The snaps are posted below:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-iso.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-top.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-rear.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-rear-connector.jpg

Price: 126 USD (inclusive of shipping through DHL).

Source: Aliexpress (there are various sellers - please do a site-wide search and do opt for shipping via DHL or FedEx or Aramex instead of China Post or Hong Kong Post considering this is a high value shipment). eBay.com also retails these with the seller location indicated as China.

2. Radio harness adapter - 1 no.

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0501.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0507.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0509.jpg

The rear of the RCD 510 has a 2 pin radio connector whereas the stock harness has a single Fakra connector:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-wp_20150702_11_38_54_pro.jpg

This adapter is used to interconnect the two.

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0519.jpg

Price: 11 USD

Source: Aliexpress

3. USB socket + cable - 5KD 035 726A - 1 no.

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0477.jpg

The HU does not have a USB port (!) and this accessory is required to have USB as a media source. The cable has a 90 deg. connector at one end and a straight one at the other end. They can be interchanged and connected.

There is an alternate USB cable with a female USB socket at one end. I wanted a separate socket with the cover, since I intend to place it next to the 12V cigarette lighter socket in the plastic trim.

Price: 14 USD

4. Quadlock to male ISO harness - 1 no.

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0489.jpg

The Quadlock connector:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0493.jpg

The male ISO connector A (CANbus + power connections):

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0495.jpg

The female ISO connector B (speaker connections):

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0496.jpg

This harness is required to connect the stock female ISO connectors to the HU’s rear. Notice the 2 bare orange colored cables with the pins zip-tied. I have explained about it in the next section.

Price: 13 USD

5. Spare male ISO connector with harness - 1 no.

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0585.jpg

This harness is required to salvage 2 pins along with their cables from the male connector, which are then soldered to the CANbus connector wires from the Quadlock harness. I have detailed the procedure below.

Price: Rs. 150

Source: Local car accessories outlet.

6. Heatshrink tubing - 3 mm, qty - 60 mm.

Tools Required:

1. T20 Torx screw driver.

2. Trim removing tools.

3. Heat gun.

4. Wire cutter/stripper.

5. Soldering iron.

6. Solder.

7. Flux.

8. Cable ties - 6”, 5 nos.

Pin layout

a. Stock ISO harness:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_20150617_142448.jpg

8-pin Connector (Black) A:

1 - CAN High (+)
2 - Not assigned
3 - Not assigned
4 - Not assigned
5 - CAN Low (-)
6 - Not assigned
7 - +12 V
8 - Ground

8-pin Connector (Brown) B:

1 - Rear right loudspeaker, positive
2 - Rear right loudspeaker, negative
3 - Front right loudspeaker, positive
4 - Front right loudspeaker, negative
5 - Front left loudspeaker, positive
6 - Front left loudspeaker, negative
7 - Rear left loudspeaker, positive
8 - Rear left loudspeaker, negative

b. RCD 510:

Name:  RCD510 pin layout.png
Views: 49176
Size:  174.3 KB

8-pin Connector [1]:

1 - Rear right loudspeaker, positive
2 - Front right loudspeaker, positive
3 - Front left loudspeaker, positive
4 - Rear left loudspeaker, positive
5 - Rear right loudspeaker, negative
6 - Front right loudspeaker, negative
7 - Front left loudspeaker, negative
8 - Rear left loudspeaker, negative

8-pin Connector [2]:

9 - CAN bus, high
10 - CAN bus, low
11 - Display voltage supply, positive
12 - Voltage supply, negative, terminal 31
13 - Display HV CAN bus low
14 - Display HV CAN bus high
15 - Voltage supply, positive, terminal 30
16 - Anti-theft coding control signal, SAFE, positive

Pin nos. 11, 13 and 14 are irrelevant for the Polo and Vento. They are not connected thus. For the Jetta, pins 13 and 14 enable the climatronic display and when the HVAC settings are changed, you get this display:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-climatronicrcd510radio.jpg

12-pin Connector [3]:

1 – AUX signal input, left
2 – AUX signal earth
3 – CD changer, audio signal earth
4 – CD changer, voltage supply, positive, terminal 30, contact continuous load greater than 1 A, temporary peak load 5 A
5 – Not assigned
6 – CD changer, DATA OUT
7 – AUX signal input, right
8 – CD changer, left audio channel, CD/L
9 – CD changer, right audio channel, CD/R
10 – CD changer, control line, switched positive
11 – CD changer, DATA IN
12 – CD changer, CLOCK (internal check protocol for data flow monitoring)

12-pin Connector [4]:

1 - Not assigned
2 - Not assigned
3 - Not assigned
4 - Not assigned
5 - Telephone audio input signal left, negative
6 - Telephone audio input signal right, negative
7 - Not assigned
8 - Not assigned
9 - Not assigned
10 - Telephone mute (mute switch for radio)
11 - Telephone audio input signal left, positive
12 - Telephone audio input signal right, positive

Quadlock to male ISO harness modification:

The Quadlock harness requires a minor modification. As indicated in the snap above, the harness comes with 2 bare cables which have to be connected to the CANbus High (+) and CANbus Low (-).

In the pre-2013 Polo and Vento cars, the ISO connectors did not come with these CANbus connectors and as a result, these cables had to be connected to the BCM’s CANbus slots or by tapping the Climatronic unit’s CANbus cables. Fortunately, the 2013 and onward cars now have the CANbus connectors in the ISO connector A.

Extract 2 pins along with the wires from the spare ISO connector:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0582.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-wp_20150702_08_56_23_pro.jpg

Insert the pins into the ISO connector A of the Quadlock harness, in slots 1 and 5 as shown:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-wp_20150702_11_21_06_pro.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-wp_20150702_09_33_41_pro.jpg

In order to ensure that the pins are secured, we bent a small piece of wire in U shape, inserted it into the slot and dropped some Fevikwik glue. The pins no longer move around and was a secure fit.

Now, the cables have to be soldered to each other. Before soldering, don't forget to slide the heatshrink tubing into both the cables. The soldering goes like this:

a. Bare wire in pin no. 9 from the Quadlock connector <> wire from pin no. 1 from the ISO connector.

b. Bare wire in pin no. 10 from the Quadlock connector <> wire from pin no. 5 from the ISO connector.

After soldering, use the heat gun to shrink the sleeves after sliding them over the soldered joints and that completes the harness modification:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-wp_20150702_11_21_00_pro.jpg

Moving on to the installation of the unit.

Procedure:

1. Take the required tools, the HU and the accessories to the car.

2. Unlock the car, pry the front trim using the trim removing tool:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_2809.png

The trim is securely held in place with multiple locks. Use the hand firmly to undo these locks and the trim from its place completely.

3. Removing the trim exposes 4 T20 Torx screws. Use the Torx screw driver to undo these screws.

4. Remove the HU from the slot and unplug all the connectors. The RCD 320 HU would have 2 female ISO connectors (in black and brown shades) and the Fakra radio connector. In my case, the Blaupunkt HU had several additional connectors like the GPS aerial, USB, mic etc.

5. Connections:

a. Connect the female ISO connectors to the male ISO connectors of the Quadlock harness. Connect the Quadlock harness to the RCD 510 HU. Insert the Quadlock connector properly - the connector goes all the way into the slot of the HU and sits flush.

b. Connect the radio harness adapter.

c. Connect the USB socket cable.

6. Turn the ignition key to ACC position and check if the system powers up. If it doesn’t, check the connections at the rear. They could be loose. Unplug them and plug them in.

Once the system is powered, you will get a welcome screen:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0524.jpg

You will be asked to insert a code when the system is powered for the first time:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-c__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved-images_41small.jpg

The code should be displayed in a sticker stuck above the system. That completes the installation part. Once everything is in order, replace the HU back in its slot and screw it firmly. Replace the trim.

These are the snaps of the different displays visible under the settings:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0528.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0529.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0530.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0531.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0532.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0533.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0534.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-equaliser.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-bal-fad.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0535.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0538.jpg

The OPS display:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-ops.jpg

Long pressing the SETUP button gives this display:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-rsm.jpg

Version Info:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-version-info.jpg

The backlighting at night:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0552.jpg

The brightness of the unit can be adjusted as per preset settings but the display does not dim itself when you turn on the vehicle's headlights - a feature which was present in my previous Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 unit. Not a dealbreaker though.

Info displayed in the MFD on the cluster:

The Delphi system does not indicate the details of the album, artist or track on the cluster. That is limited to the Bosch system so all we get is this:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0546.jpg
(Audio was muted and remix was turned on)

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0547.jpg

The sytem is recognised by VCDS (the Blaupunkt unit wasn't). A label file 3A-56.lbl needs to be present within the Labels folder where VCDS is installed. Otherwise, VCDS will not recognise the system and you will get an Out of Range error.

The location by default is C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Labels.

Download the file from this link - 3A-56.rar and place the file in the Labels folder.

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-label.png

From the main screen, click on Radio:

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 42952
Size:  80.7 KB

Save the current coding as displayed and click on Long Coding Helper:

Name:  2.PNG
Views: 42513
Size:  47.6 KB

Under Byte 0:

Name:  Byte 0.PNG
Views: 42086
Size:  41.7 KB

Under Byte 1:

Name:  Byte 1.PNG
Views: 41883
Size:  38.1 KB

Under Byte 2:

Name:  Byte 2.PNG
Views: 41608
Size:  39.3 KB

Under Byte 3:

Name:  Byte 3.PNG
Views: 41912
Size:  42.4 KB

Under Byte 4:

Name:  Byte 4.PNG
Views: 41548
Size:  39.3 KB

Under Byte 5:

Name:  Byte 5.png
Views: 42003
Size:  47.0 KB

Under Byte 6:

Name:  Byte 6.png
Views: 43368
Size:  78.6 KB

If the car is a Polo, change it to VW Polo (6R1) so the car displayed in the OPS display during reversing is the Polo 6R.

That completes the VCDS settings. I shall update this thread when the 9W7 Bluetooth module lands.

Thanks are due to moderator moralfibre for all the responses to the queries, my ex-roomie Moorthy for helping me with the installation (as always), BHPian The Saint for answering my queries patiently and my good friend Prithvi from Bangalore for helping me offload the Blau unit. :D

Thanks for reading! :)

Update - The 9W7 BT unit installation has been covered here.

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the ICE DIY Section. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Gannu,

thanks. a few questions

1) Will the OPs be supported on a 2014 Vento-Highline TDI. BCM ending in 086
2) Does the HU support Navigation?
3) The RCD 320 supports track information which is missing in this. It has an inbuilt USB which again is missing. Did you decide to go for this for the OPS and the potential to install RVC (just trying to understand the reasons)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A (Post 3747573)
Hi Gannu,

thanks. a few questions

1) Will the OPs be supported on a 2014 Vento-Highline TDI. BCM ending in 086
2) Does the HU support Navigation?
3) The RCD 320 supports track information which is missing in this. It has an inbuilt USB which again is missing. Did you decide to go for this for the OPS and the potential to install RVC (just trying to understand the reasons)

1. Yes.

Some cars with the Blaupunkt unit which did not support OPS, was clearly due to the harness issue. The BCM cables from the stock connector has to be connected to the Quadlock connector properly.

2. No.

But with an addon PCB module, it can be supported.

3. What is the track information that is missing? It does display the title, album and artist with the progress bar. Did the RCD 320 display anything more than this?

I purely went for this unit for the reasons I had mentioned in the other post. Quoting from it:

Quote:

- The shoddy user interface. Completely unjustified for a HU worth 40k+. I thought of living with it but I couldn’t stand the UI! I had even mailed Blaupunkt’s customer support at Germany to change this UI through a future firmware upgrade but they denied saying this is what it is and what it will be.

- Haven’t used the MMI navigation feature for a while now. I must however add, when I had used it, it worked well. Thank you MapmyIndia!

- Tracks were getting repeated after the car was restarted from a stop.

- Phone book sync is buggy. When I press the Phone button on the unit, it begins syncing the call list. Takes a while and the list appears. When I exit out and press it again, it takes the same time! This used to happen randomly.

- The DIY bug! Honestly, I wish I could rewind time back to December 2013 when we bought the Blaupunkt unit. At that time, we were noobs in this department and didn’t know much about the car. As we got to know more by fiddling during the weekends, this seems like a walk in the park! I am not kidding - it really is since the newer Polo (2013 and later) now come with the CANbus cables in the ISO connectors so there’s no need to remove the connector from the BCM to insert these cables. Shall share the whole thing on the RCD 510 DIY thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gannu_1 (Post 3747597)
1. Yes.

Some cars with the Blaupunkt unit which did not support OPS, was clearly due to the harness issue. The BCM cables from the stock connector has to be connected to the Quadlock connector properly.

2. No.

But with an addon PCB module, it can be supported.

3. What is the track information that is missing? It does display the title, album and artist with the progress bar. Did the RCD 320 display anything more than this?

I purely went for this unit for the reasons I had mentioned in the other post. Quoting from it:

Thanks Gannu
1) It is a relief to know that OPS will work.
2) ok.
3) Just to clarify, my comparison was between the Delphi RCD 510 and the RCD 320. In the opening comparison between the Bosch and Delphi units, you mentioned that the the delphi unit doesn't display any track details but only the track number and the folder number, hence my question.

Any plans to install the RVC soon(since you bought the version with RVC input option).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A (Post 3747614)
In the opening comparison between the Bosch and Delphi units, you mentioned that the the delphi unit doesn't display any track details but only the track number and the folder number, hence my question.

I meant, on the MFD of the instrument cluster:

Quote:

f. The Bosch unit displays the song details viz. artist, album and title on the MFD of the cluster whereas the Delphi unit only displays the track number and the folder number.
To elaborate, folks who have installed the GTI cluster will get this info:

If it is the Delphi based unit, you get this info on the MFD:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0546.jpg

If it is the Bosch unit, you get this info:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-mfd-data.jpg
Source: Google Images

Hope this is clear. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A (Post 3747614)
Any plans to install the RVC soon(since you bought the version with RVC input option).

No. I did not want the unit with the RVC but the seller shipped this as this was the only unit which had black knobs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gannu_1 (Post 3747630)
I meant, on the MFD of the instrument cluster

oops, i completely misunderstood what you wrote. i thought the track details were not even available on the HU. My bad.

i have a few questions on how bluetooth calling will function but since you have not yet installed the bluetooth module i will wait for that to pester you further :)

Seeing this, now even I tempted to do this DIY in my Polo.
But I have a few questions, hope you don't mind.stupid:
1) Can this be done in the same way in my Polo(Sept'14 facelift one), considering that you had installed the Blaupunkt unit and mine is the stock setup.
2) Will I need any additional bluetooth module for music streaming and calling feature?
3) Will the stock cluster show the track number as well as the folder number?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pramalik_6116 (Post 3747842)
Seeing this, now even I tempted to do this DIY in my Polo.
But I have a few questions, hope you don't mind.stupid:
1) Can this be done in the same way in my Polo(Sept'14 facelift one), considering that you had installed the Blaupunkt unit and mine is the stock setup.
2) Will I need any additional bluetooth module for music streaming and calling feature?
3) Will the stock cluster show the track number as well as the folder number?

1. Yes, the procedure is the same. I am assuming yours came with the RCD 320.

2. Yes, you will need an additional BT module. There is a cheaper BT module 9W2 (part number - 1K8 035 730 X) which will let you accept calls through the phone button on the MFSW, dial calls through your cellphone and has A2DP for music streaming. The advanced 9W7 module (part number - 7P6 035 730 X) has voice control, supports phone book display, ringtones etc. I shall expand about this in detail when I install the 9W7 module in my car.

3. No the stock cluster's MFD is not capable of displaying the info.

Good job as usual Gannu! :thumbs up

Couple of queries:
1. Can you post a pic of the USB socket after the install?
2. I presume we must remove the HU again if there is a need to install rear view camera?

Awesome! I really enjoy your DIY threads for the detail and the passion that clearly comes out.
I was wondering if I could ask a related question - I have a 2010 Passat with the Bosch RCD510 but no Bluetooth. I recently bought an OEM BT module on AliExpress and want to get started installing it (my first project!). Any chance you could share instructions? I am told I will need the VagCom cable to activate it as well. I did try to ask in auto accessory shops but they didnt want to touch an OEM install.
Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBrad (Post 3747961)
Couple of queries:
1. Can you post a pic of the USB socket after the install?
2. I presume we must remove the HU again if there is a need to install rear view camera?

1. Will do that. I am planning to install it to the right of the 12V socket here:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_2832.png

2. Yes. Takes 5 minutes tops to pry out the surrounding plastic trim and undo the 4 Torx screws.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vijaydo (Post 3748035)
I have a 2010 Passat with the Bosch RCD510 but no Bluetooth.

Is this a Passat B6? Do you have controls on the steering wheel?

Quote:

I recently bought an OEM BT module on AliExpress and want to get started installing it (my first project!).

What BT module is this? 9W2 or 9W7? Have you sourced only the BT module or the associated harness and mic as well? You will need a harness like this:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-9w79w29zzbluetoothmoduleharnesswiringcabledirectplugforvwrcd510.png

The connection is very straightforward and plug-n-play. However, you will have to remove one of the A-pillar trims to route the mic cable. Your Passat has side airbags IINM and will have this plastic locking clip on the A-pillar trim, like this:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-31.jpg
(Source: VW Vortex)

The A-pillar has to be removed carefully as this clip is meant to be renewed while removing. I suggest you approach the service center unless you are absolutely sure about doing this. The Polo or Vento doesn’t have any such limitations and the A-pillar comes off with bare hands.

Quote:

I am told I will need the VagCom cable to activate it as well.

Yes, you will need the cable and the software to activate Telephone under CAN Gateway > Installation List after installing the BT module.

Quote:

I did try to ask in auto accessory shops but they didnt want to touch an OEM install.

What about the service center?

Thank you! This is very helpful! Looks like this is not a good candidate for my first DIY project if the clip needs to be replaced etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gannu_1 (Post 3748283)

Is this a Passat B6? Do you have controls on the steering wheel?

Yes, this is a B6 Passat with what VW calls a Multi-Function Steering Wheel.

Quote:

What BT module is this? 9W2 or 9W7? Have you sourced only the BT module or the associated harness and mic as well? You will need a harness like this:

This is a CN-spec 9W2. I got the harness as well along with the module.

Quote:

The connection is very straightforward and plug-n-play. However, you will have to remove one of the A-pillar trims to route the mic cable. Your Passat has side airbags IINM and will have this plastic locking clip on the A-pillar trim, like this:

The A-pillar has to be removed carefully as this clip is meant to be renewed while removing. I suggest you approach the service center unless you are absolutely sure about doing this. The Polo or Vento doesn’t have any such limitations and the A-pillar comes off with bare hands.

Yes, you will need the cable and the software to activate Telephone under CAN Gateway > Installation List after installing the BT module.

What about the service center?

I will go to the service center and try my luck. I was hoping to avoid that since they take days to give a slot and then more days to complete anything. Having said that, I havent had any quality complaints so far.