Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2006, 18:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Are low frequency sounds hazardous to kids

Does low frequency sounds from woofers in cars affect the eardrums of infants and kids?
Old 4th October 2006, 18:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sound of any frequency at high levels is harmful for humans of all age. Infants would be particularly vulnerable, yes. A grown-up's tolerance of loud sounds would be greater.
Old 4th October 2006, 19:25   #3
BANNED

Is it possible to elaborate a bit more on this topic gurus? It would be very much helpful.
Old 4th October 2006, 20:45   #4
BHPian

Your honour... presenting specimen A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
Sound of any frequency at high levels is harmful for humans of all age. Infants would be particularly vulnerable, yes. A grown-up's tolerance of loud sounds would be greater.
Yes of course B&T is right. All of you with infants, beware!

Post edted by Navin. Comments were uncalled for and in poor taste.

Last edited by navin : 5th October 2006 at 10:22.
Old 4th October 2006, 20:49   #5
BHPian

B&T is spot on here.Infants and younger children r more prone to eardrum injury than adults due to loudness.
The threashhold level of loudness[in dB] is lower in kids than adults for obvious reasons.This level for adults has been mentioned elsewhere on tbhp.
Old 4th October 2006, 22:48   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
Yes of course B&T is right. All of you with infants, beware!
rest of post deleted..
JB, although I can appreciate the tinge of sarcasam in this post I dont think it fit for public consumption.

Guys loud sounds can damage hearing faster than you think. If you think it is too loud it probably already is.

Last edited by navin : 5th October 2006 at 12:14.
Old 5th October 2006, 17:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

My question is about low frequencies alone...those boom boom sounds from the woofer...even tighter bass. I am having an idea that these sounds have more impact on ears then mids and highs. My baby will be born in January and i am wondering whether i can still have a woofer in my car. I am planning to install one in couple of months. I listen to music at low volumes even when i am driving alone.
Old 5th October 2006, 19:46   #8
BHPian

There is no doubt that it affects. I would certainly disconnect woofer till she grows up. Or atleast would set equalizer to supress woofer. A definite answer would require scientific experiment though. Now since you are aware about such adverse effect, you should act.

It has more to with human biology but even when baby is in womb, she can hear outside sound. So you need not wait and should act now itself. We had ensured that our baby (since she was in womb) don't get exposed to high decible sound. Now she has grown up and we are back listening to high pitch sounds - music as well our daughter's :-)
Old 6th October 2006, 02:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
My question is about low frequencies alone...those boom boom sounds from the woofer...even tighter bass. I am having an idea that these sounds have more impact on ears then mids and highs. My baby will be born in January and i am wondering whether i can still have a woofer in my car. I am planning to install one in couple of months. I listen to music at low volumes even when i am driving alone.
Hi Satish.

Irrespective of frequency, damage is caused to the ear.

However, you are rightly worried about your subwoofer, since in most cars, it's the subwoofer that is capable of producing the highest average spl levels due to their non-directional nature. Usually pro systems and horn loaded mid-top drivers produce dangerous spls, and are especially more dangerous when the subject is within the 'firing range' of the driver.

Please refrain from using your system at high levels with a toddler on board. If not deafness, which is a bit unlikely, it could result in a permanent shift in the hearing curve or other similar anomalies.
Old 6th October 2006, 14:32   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
...it could result in a permanent shift in the hearing curve or other similar anomalies.
I agree. Just look at what happened to me!
Old 6th October 2006, 14:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

not much that i know of. i have always believed in making sure the kid gets to hear music right from the day he was conceived. sometimes the bass was higher. so far so good. my sons are aged 5 & 3 & they are doing pretty good with their own taste in music. like B & T said in his first post, any music (not necessarily the lows) is harmful for anyone if it is played at extreme levels. so better to avoid extreme levels, but there is no need for any panic measures like disconnecting the woofer etc.

by the way, what is the macher's take on this ? cheers lol
Old 6th October 2006, 15:24   #12
Team-BHP Support

A agree with Esteem. There is no need to disconnect the woofers. Make sure you play music at normal levels (I find 80-85db it be just right for me) and that the music is not offensive (for example some "musicians" like 2pac and 50 cent use offensive language in their lyrics).

It has been found that kids gravitate towards music that is melodic. My 4 yr old son for example loves the Beatles esp songs like Obladi-Oblada, Yellow Submarine and Octopus's Garden and songs with odd chords like suspended 7ths.

Last edited by navin : 6th October 2006 at 15:28.
Old 6th October 2006, 15:30   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes I agree Satish, no need to disconnect anything. Just play the music soft when the child is in the car.
My niece is exposed to music all the time. (Her dad is a DJ) and all that they say about the child in the womb etc? It's ALL true.
At the age of 1, she had a beat. At 2, she sings. In tune. It's incredible. I believe music will help develop your childs brain further. Just play it soft, thats all. At normal speech levels.
Old 6th October 2006, 15:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

my 5 year old loves country roads & summer of 69 & sings along quite beautifully too. the 3 year old loves belfast & sings a couple of lines here & there. because of their insisting that i play these songs only, i have now heard these songs like 3000 times each. lol
Old 7th October 2006, 14:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
I agree. Just look at what happened to me!
Oh yeah, sure! Your hearing just got extended by one octave on either side of the audible frequency range!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks