Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2016, 15:34   #1
BHPian

Skoda Yeti: Upgraded to the RCD330 Plus head-unit

Hey all. Just changed the stock stereo from 2014 (old) Skoda Yeti to RCD 330 Plus. The name "rcd330 plus" is more like a term used for this stereo and I cannot confirm that this is the stereo's correct name.
One thing for sure is the model(PART no) which is 6RD 035 187 A from VW as you can see in one of the images I will post.

Anyways, I wanted to upgrade the stock stereo for a couple of reasons:

1. No USB or Bluetooth in stock. Skoda was not serious about India then it seems, a USB should have been standard in 2014.
2. Not a major reason but I wish to install a rear parking sensor in future and this unit will be able to neatly display the proximity thing on its screen. It also supports camera display.

So I started my research in September. I have never done any DIYs on any cars in my life, except install Pete's tune box on Fortuner.
It was all mumbo jumbo at first but as I dived deeper, things started clearing out.
A big thanks to some of the threads here.
POLO DIY
Thread by Ajay
And few more

So after reading so much including some international forums, I figured that an OEM skoda head unit(which will fullfill my requirement) is either difficult to get or too expensive for my budget (max 15k). And after going through the above mentioned threads, I zeroed in on Aliexpress as well.
My search lead me to following Head Units:
1. RCD 510 : USB/AUX requires extra cables, ports installation so additional costs and the ports might not be compatible with Skoda's dashboard's slots/sockets etc.
2. RCD320 : Has USB but a small monochrome screen.
3. RCD330 : Has USB/SD card and Bluetooth onboard(in front) and was my final choice till I stumbled upon this RCD330 plus !
This stereo is for VW cars, I had to order a frame as the VW face is smaller. Shipping was fast and stereo swap was straightforward as it had same connector etc.
Some pictures are attached
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti: Upgraded to the RCD330 Plus head-unit-img_0163.jpg  

Skoda Yeti: Upgraded to the RCD330 Plus head-unit-img_0164.jpg  

Skoda Yeti: Upgraded to the RCD330 Plus head-unit-img_2666-1.jpg  

Skoda Yeti: Upgraded to the RCD330 Plus head-unit-img_0153.jpg  

Skoda Yeti: Upgraded to the RCD330 Plus head-unit-img_0158.jpg  

Skoda Yeti: Upgraded to the RCD330 Plus head-unit-img_0160.jpg  

Skoda Yeti: Upgraded to the RCD330 Plus head-unit-img_0166.jpg  

Skoda Yeti: Upgraded to the RCD330 Plus head-unit-img_0167.jpg  

Skoda Yeti: Upgraded to the RCD330 Plus head-unit-img_0168.jpg  

lambodara is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 00:12   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Yeti: Upgraded to the RCD330 Plus head-unit

How about the MFD in the instrument cluster? Does it relay any information on that when you are playing a track or the radio or during a call? Or is it left blank?
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 16:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
How about the MFD in the instrument cluster? Does it relay any information on that when you are playing a track or the radio or during a call? Or is it left blank?
Nopes, it never showed anything and continues to show nothing. Its the lowline version which shows basic things like trip, fuel, speed and a manual gear indicator with recommendation(shift up/down).
I hopeless hoped that the head unit will show information like which door is open etc but the only info. it shows is temperature and time. My Yeti is the Active 4x2.
it looks like this (taken from internet):

Skoda Yeti: Upgraded to the RCD330 Plus head-unit-158185.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th December 2016 at 18:23. Reason: Uploading pic as attachment. Thanks!
lambodara is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 23:11   #4
BHPian

@Lambodara , looks real neat! Was looking to upgrade from the RCD 320 to the 510 and I felt, there were too many things to go along with it, the final nail on the coffin was that my BCM wouldn't support OPS display as mine is the facelift model of late 2015. Now the RCD330 plus is exactly what I'm looking for, the only doubt is if I'd be needing a converter(like for the 510) for the swap with my 320 ??

Last edited by leprechaun : 7th December 2016 at 23:41.
leprechaun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2016, 01:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leprechaun View Post
@Lambodara , looks real neat! Was looking to upgrade from the RCD 320 to the 510 and I felt, there were too many things to go along with it, the final nail on the coffin was that my BCM wouldn't support OPS display as mine is the facelift model of late 2015. Now the RCD330 plus is exactly what I'm looking for, the only doubt is if I'd be needing a converter(like for the 510) for the swap with my 320 ??

Yes you need ISO to Quadlock connector in order to swap rcd 330 plus with your 320. Just ask the seller for it and he will include it in the package itself. I've swapped my 320 with rcd 330 and now waiting for 330 plus which is in transit.
Old 12th December 2016, 12:18   #6
BHPian

For some reason, these HU's not working with skoda rapid:( First i had a failure with RCD 330G with my skoda rapid dsg. Last week Gaurav(not member here) from Mumbai got RCD 330G plus with green backlight from ali. Even he is facing same issue as what i faced. i.e., steering control not working and HU not detecting ignition ON/OFF :(. As per his seller, some coding in canbus gateway needs to be done for skoda rapid. Gaurav was in touch with me after seeing my earlier posts on RCD 330G issues with skoda rapid.

Anyone else installed it in rapid?
Old 22nd December 2016, 11:18   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
For some reason, these HU's not working with skoda rapid:( First i had a failure with RCD 330G with my skoda rapid dsg. Last week Gaurav(not member here) from Mumbai got RCD 330G plus with green backlight from ali. Even he is facing same issue as what i faced. i.e., steering control not working and HU not detecting ignition ON/OFF :(. As per his seller, some coding in canbus gateway needs to be done for skoda rapid. Gaurav was in touch with me after seeing my earlier posts on RCD 330G issues with skoda rapid.

Anyone else installed it in rapid?

Hey Rock, did you get the quadlock cable, to fit the head unit to your car? If yes you should have had 2 wires with their ends free, that would go into slot 1 and 5 as seen on Gannus rcd 510 post, only of they're connected would you have steering function and powering with ignition.
Old 22nd December 2016, 20:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Rock, did you get the quadlock cable, to fit the head unit to your car? If yes you should have had 2 wires with their ends free, that would go into slot 1 and 5 as seen on Gannus rcd 510 post, only of they're connected would you have steering function and powering with ignition.
Yes, i got the cable(three overall) and connected can-bus wires as in Gannu's DIY thread. But it was not working. Looks like the can-bus signal is different in Skoda :(
Old 28th December 2016, 14:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
the final nail on the coffin was that my BCM wouldn't support OPS display as mine is the facelift model of late 2015
Looks like I am lucky to have the old standard system in Yeti. They should not have done this new ISO thing. Maybe its one of the various cost cutting measure by Skoda/VW etc.
Next on my list is a Rear parking system with OPS.
Can you please tell me what do you mean by BCM wont support OPS ? Do you think OPS would work in my system after coding etc all done ?
thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 19:39   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambodara View Post
Looks like I am lucky to have the old standard system in Yeti. They should not have done this new ISO thing. Maybe its one of the various cost cutting measure by Skoda/VW etc.
Next on my list is a Rear parking system with OPS.
Can you please tell me what do you mean by BCM wont support OPS ? Do you think OPS would work in my system after coding etc all done ?
thanks
Do you have rear parking sensors but no display on the HU while slotting into reverse? Or do you have no sensors at all?

The new gen. Polo and Vento now comes with an OPS (optical parking system) unit which does not have canbus connections so it only beeps and doesn't provide an output to the BCM which sends an output to the HU display. It has nothing to do with the BCM though.
Old 28th December 2016, 23:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Do you have rear parking sensors but no display on the HU while slotting into reverse? Or do you have no sensors at all?

The new gen. Polo and Vento now comes with an OPS (optical parking system) unit which does not have canbus connections so it only beeps and doesn't provide an output to the BCM which sends an output to the HU display. It has nothing to do with the BCM though.
My Yeti did not come with a rear sensor. I am still looking for a complete kit. Will ask Skoda if they have an affordable solution. There are many options on Aliexpress but they are all for VW. Something tells me they all will work on Yeti as well but I am not 100% sure. What I want is the rear sensor graphic output on the HU.
So it should look as this :

So how does the gear info. (when rear gear is engaged?) go to the system of new gen. Polo and Vento ?
Old 29th December 2016, 04:18   #12
BHPian

Quote:

3. RCD330 : Has USB/SD card and Bluetooth onboard(in front) and was my final choice till I stumbled upon this RCD330 plus !

This stereo is for VW cars, I had to order a frame as the VW face is smaller. Shipping was fast and stereo swap was straightforward as it had same connector etc.

Some pictures are attached

Hi lambodara,

How much did you pay in total for the 330 plus unit from Aliexpress? Did you have to pay any customs duty on it?
Old 29th December 2016, 11:24   #13
BHPian

I paid around 10.5 k + 3 k duty. The Aliexpress seller had sent a reduced amount invoice with the package but the smart-asses duty people charged 3k anyways. ( so they themselves assumed the item is for 10k and then levied 30% duty on it) The duty was paid by FedEx directly without asking me anything. I feel a bit cheated by customs. What if the real price was 6k ? Would they have charged 3k even then ??
The price of this same unit is alot cheaper now. I bought it when it was just out and not that common and I had actually got a good deal as it was for around 14k then. Another thread in this same forum has the price around $ 100 which is what everyone is selling this unit for now.
This one:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ion-guide.html
Old 29th December 2016, 19:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I paid around 10.5 k + 3 k duty.
The price of this same unit is alot cheaper now. I bought it when it was just out and not that common and I had actually got a good deal as it was for around 14k then. Another thread in this same forum has the price around $ 100 which is what everyone is selling this unit for now.
This one:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ion-guide.html
Thanks a lot for the information. I too have a 2012 Yeti 4x2 base version (Active) with close to 60K on the odo and I was looking for a low-cost upgrade from the Swing audio system. I am now seriously considering the 330 plus unit, thanks to your DIY effort. But, do you know of a low cost OEM unit on Aliexpress that also includes navigation?
Also, did you order the frame for the 330 plus (to make up for the size difference) from the same seller?
Old 30th December 2016, 14:57   #15
BHPian

AliExpress.
There you go. The same seller did not have the frame. Please be advised, it took 2-3 weeks for the frame to arrive. That depends on the courier I guess. The funny thing is both frame and stereo arrived on the same day! They were ordered almost 15 days apart and seperate courier. Frame quality is very nice and fit is good as seen in the pictures above. Again, this seller was the only one who responded so I ordered through him.
Edit: following the link, I see the first review made by me!

Last edited by lambodara : 30th December 2016 at 14:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks