Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2006, 13:11   #16
BHPian

Ram,that cable is for attaching some external audio source like cassete player/discman to alpine HU which has Ai-net interface and not for connecting i-pod for which u need an adapter.Anyway i dont think ur alpine cassette HU can support i-pod.

Even if u want to buy that cable,LBM is the best person to answer this as few months back he had written that this is available for only 650/rs in New delhi though he never told us the source.
Old 25th October 2006, 13:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
Go for sub+mono amp now with boss kit and then after 2 months install decent HU+front components speakers[which will have x-overs] as well and then u can add rear coax and a 4-ch amp.
Dont go for door spk before u buy new car as santro wont take >5.25" size spk wihtout modification but new car may take.
boss kit not recommended......

and santro can take 6.5 inch speaker easily....

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/249233-post77.html

it is a 3-way setup with 6.5 inch in the door and the midrange in the stock location and tweeter on the dash...

Quote:
Even if u want to buy that cable,LBM is the best person to answer this as few months back he had written that this is available for only 650/rs in New delhi though he never told us the source.
the cable is avalable at any good audio dealer costing about 1k not Rs650....

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 25th October 2006 at 13:22.
Old 25th October 2006, 13:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram
Head unit: Did you see my prev post on connecting my iPod to Alpine using the Ai-net / RCA cable...what do you think?
No problem at all madbullram. You're welcome :-)

I'm sure that the Ai-net will not charge your iPod. You'll either need a dedicated iPod interface cable/kit, or use a separate cigarette-lighter-port charger (this is too messy).

I'm also actually looking around for a good solution (iPod interface) for my Blaupunkt Casablanca too. One of the options I'm considering (other than the Blaupunkt proprietary iPod interface) will help you too. The Harmann-Kardon drive+play iPod interface is really cool, and is not make-specific. That is, it can integrate with any HU with aux-in (for best results). It also has a set-up by which you can wire it's output to the FM antenna connector of your HU (not so good for sound quality). Or it has the usual FM transmitter thingy (which is a real no-no as far as sound quality is concerned). the H-K will charge your iPod as you use it too. And, you can switch it to your new car, regardless of the HU you'll be using with the new car. I'm not sure about the price. It must be around Rs.5K.

Sam, can you help us with info here? I was going to PM you for a review of the H-K drive+play -- you use it, right?

A plain vanilla aux input cord (the usual headphone jack directly wired to the Aux-in of the HU) will also work well enough, but you'll not be able to control the iPod thru an interface or through the HU. That's why I'm not considering it.
Old 25th October 2006, 14:39   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok

The Harmann-Kardon drive+play iPod interface is really cool, and is not make-specific. That is, it can integrate with any HU with aux-in (for best results). It also has a set-up by which you can wire it's output to the FM antenna connector of your HU (not so good for sound quality). Or it has the usual FM transmitter thingy (which is a real no-no as far as sound quality is concerned). the H-K will charge your iPod as you use it too. And, you can switch it to your new car, regardless of the HU you'll be using with the new car. I'm not sure about the price. It must be around Rs.5K.
Here is a review written by our very own Ajmat. The price is 12,990/-
Old 25th October 2006, 14:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
1.boss kit not recommended......

2.and santro can take 6.5 inch speaker easily....

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/249233-post77.html

it is a 3-way setup with 6.5 inch in the door and the midrange in the stock location and tweeter on the dash...
1.I know that....but can u fit in mono amp+sub+box+audison/JBL amp kit within 15k,the budget he has mentioned?

2.Dude,read carefully.this is what i said...Dont go for door spk before u buy new car as santro wont take >5.25" size spk wihtout modification but new car may take

Now if he has to sell his car the buyer may not like to have big holes in door panels and ram has to sell his spk along with car.

happy now......
Old 25th October 2006, 16:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Here is a review written by our very own Ajmat. The price is 12,990/-
Holy ....! 13K! Wayyyyyyyyy outta my budget. Looks like I'll stick to plain vannila aux in. Or the Blau (proprietary) interface. Or maybe its time to break-out my mask and pay a visit to the local bank.

I'd checked the prices on eBay and the highest I saw was $140 (USD). Man, I hate the duty raj!

Last edited by hydrashok : 25th October 2006 at 17:00.
Old 25th October 2006, 20:10   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'd checked the prices on eBay and the highest I saw was $140 (USD). Man, I hate the duty raj!
Yeah, a LOT of duty, 12.5% VAT, Octroi and what not. But in the case of D+P i'd recommend a warranty.

OK, I may as well tell you one more thing lol, though I can't believe I'm posting this, on November 1st it will be dropped to Rs. 9,990/- but sshhhh
Old 25th October 2006, 21:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
OK, I may as well tell you one more thing lol, though I can't believe I'm posting this, on November 1st it will be dropped to...
Ahhhhh.... now that's what buddies are for! Thanks for the info!

10k is a little sweeter and has definitely muddied the waters for me. Now I need to watch myself when I go out with my CC in the direction of Vyttila (That's where AM Distributors have their outlet in Kochi).

Now that we've covered November, any plans for December? Just jokin'!

Seriously though, I've been trying to decide between a front components upgrade vs. iPod interface. Now the amount is kinda tied between. Uhhhhhh... decisions, decisions... Luckily I don't have the money right now, so I'm kind of safe for 2 months. (I'm holding out till December for whatever I decide on).
Old 26th October 2006, 00:36   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Ram,dont be sorry.Infact it was so well written that experts dint had to ask u anyhting after ur 1st post. !!
Thanks mate...experience in being with forums prompted this action...

Quote:
B U T my only worry is that ram,dont u think 2 yr is bit too long period to upgrade ur ICE!!
2 yrs is for buying the next car, as far ICE is concerned, this month Mono and Sub. Then after 2 months get a HU and rear Speakers (if the iPod connection thing works then I dont see a need until and unless the sound quality is bad)

I will wait for 4 channel amp and fron cross overs for the new car, so that will have to wait for 2 yrs
Old 26th October 2006, 00:38   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Ram,that cable is for attaching some external audio source like cassete player/discman to alpine HU which has Ai-net interface and not for connecting i-pod for which u need an adapter.Anyway i dont think ur alpine cassette HU can support i-pod.

Exactly, my iPod headphone out will be connected to the RCA female pin of Ai-net cable. I know I will not be able to control the iPod but thats okay, I can live with it as I have created many playlists to suit my needs and I hate changing songs while driving.
Old 26th October 2006, 00:42   #26
BHPian

Quote:
No problem at all madbullram. You're welcome :-)

I'm sure that the Ai-net will not charge your iPod. You'll either need a dedicated iPod interface cable/kit, or use a separate cigarette-lighter-port charger (this is too messy).

A plain vanilla aux input cord (the usual headphone jack directly wired to the Aux-in of the HU) will also work well enough, but you'll not be able to control the iPod thru an interface or through the HU. That's why I'm not considering it.
Thanks again mate...I dont need iPod control on my HU as I have enough Playlists that suit my taste and I dont like getting distracted while changing songs

I know its messy charging the iPod using the cig lighter but its okay if its gonna save me 4500 INR

Now, if I am able to connect my iPod to Alpine HU using the Ai-net cable then I can forget buying a new HU itself thereby saving 10K ... am i greedy??
Old 26th October 2006, 11:10   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now, if I am able to connect my iPod to Alpine HU using the Ai-net cable then I can forget buying a new HU itself thereby saving 10K ... am i greedy??
No you are not. Sam had a simialr idea with something called a La Cie. In fact I had a wierder idea using just a bank of interchangable ipods (sort of like aplug and play ipod changer - iimagine the volume of music one could have with say a bank of 6 80GB ipods why using Wavpak one could carry one's entire music collection in a lossless format) and hidden behind a 2 DIN screen. Sadly it required too much work so i got me a ipod adapter for my HU instead.
Old 26th October 2006, 15:21   #28
BHPian

Navin,
Any idea on the loss of Power is the iPod is connected to Alpine using Ai-net?

To LBMHydra, RS...heard the JBL Mono and Sub in my friends Santro and also the Pioneer combination, I felt the Pioneer combo was much tighter. I think I am going to gte the Pioneer Mono and Sub. If it sounded tight with my age old Alpine can only imagine how it will with a CD HU of Alpine.

Now Step 2:
Option1:
Buy the HU from Alpine

Option 2:
Provided I can connect iPod to my Alpine TDM using Ai-Net cable, I was thinking...Why not get the Crossovers installed by putting MDF ring...the only worry when I sell there will be hole like RSjaur suggested...but was thinking, why just take the speaker and leave the grill there when I sell it ...just thinking what do you say? This will not look bad isnt it and can even upsell saying you can install more speakers

Now in option 2, will comp sound good without the 4 CHannel Amp just being powered my the HU?
Old 26th October 2006, 18:16   #29
BHPian

Folks,

Found this:

MB Quart QM 215.03CX 5.25" Component Speakers.(Rs 3000)
One Set of Audiobahn AS62V 6.5" Coaxial speakers. (Rs 2000) 9 months old

For sale...what do you think?
Old 26th October 2006, 22:02   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Navin,
Any idea on the loss of Power is the iPod is connected to Alpine using Ai-net?

I felt the Pioneer combo was much tighter. I think I am going to gte the Pioneer Mono and Sub. If it sounded tight with my age old Alpine can only imagine how it will with a CD HU of Alpine.

Now Step 2:
Option1:
Buy the HU from Alpine

Option 2:
Provided I can connect iPod to my Alpine TDM using Ai-Net cable, I was thinking...Why not get the Crossovers installed by putting MDF ring...the only worry when I sell there will be hole like RSjaur suggested...but was thinking, why just take the speaker and leave the grill there when I sell it ...just thinking what do you say? This will not look bad isnt it and can even upsell saying you can install more speakers

Now in option 2, will comp sound good without the 4 CHannel Amp just being powered my the HU?
Sorry for quoting the entire post, but I have something on each:

I don't think the iPod will lose power faster if connected by AiNet. It will show no difference in power consumption, or it will use lesser power. After all, it is just giving an output signal here, and isn't feeding earphones (which takes some power).

You did the sensible thing by listening to the kind of set-up you wanted. If the Pio setup sounded better to you, go for it by all means. But as we all always say, make sure you get genuine Pioneer (with B&W if possible).
BTW, I love my bass tight too. Now we'll stop talking about how we like things "tight" before Sam gets here and exercises his uhhh.., imagination [IMG]images/icons/icon10.gif[/IMG]
And yes, a CD HU will give you a whole new experience. Nothing can give a high as good as listening to music in a better way than you have listened to it so far.

If you do get the iPod connected to the current HU, I think upgrading your speakers (rather than HU) could be the better option. After all, MP3 output will be better than cassette output (though not as good as CD output). Changing your speakers will give you an immediate improvement in the sound. Especially, as you will be getting components installed. And about what you will do when you sell the car: Don't sell/give away the Kenwoods in the front. Keep them safe, and put them back when you sell the car. Because you'll be using spacers (and not cutting the door panel), the change will not be noticeable.

Comps will sound way better than your current Kenwoods even if they are powered by your HU. But they will be really, really good when powered by an amp. Listen (I'm driving up your budget again), Sony makes a reasonably OK 2 channel amp for near Rs.3K (I think it is the 555, but I'm really not good at model nos). You can consider buying & using that amp (with the comps, or a little later) with the comps for good enough results. You can move that amp too to your new car. The reason I'm suggesting an amp is that you will be using your current setup for 2 whole years. Don't go that long without treating yourself to a good front soundstage. Your HU would be OK, but not uhhh... OK enough.

In a separate post you've mentioned MB Quarts. They are really good, but would be totally wasted without a powerful amp. And I personally am leery of second-hand electronics (I'm paranoid, I know), though I do create a small market in them myself, from time to time...

Buddy, go for new comps. Buy the GTO507s/DSK130s and treat yourself. Buy a small amp later (not toooooo later). Leave the rest for when you buy the new car (Unless you will be able to spend a little in between).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks