Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2017, 22:21   #1
BHPian

Skoda Superb: Swapped the stock Bolero system with an RCD330 Plus

The Bolero player in my Skoda Superb is starting to feel dated, especially the interface and touch response. Therefore, I started looking for alternatives. Special thanks to Team-Bhpians maddyguage and Gannu_1 for their valuable inputs, I zeroed in on the RCD 330 Plus, inspite of a few compromises.

I started looking out for RCD 330 Plus (Noname version) with green backlight on Aliexpress. Sadly, there are very few sellers dealing with green backlight versions. Upon having a conversion with the seller, I came to know that the player is a standard VW version with the red LED's changed to green. The carplay version was available as well, with upgraded RAM. However, the button bug and soldering of upgraded RAM put me off. The newer version with out of the box carplay functionality wasn't available then. Therefore placed an order for the noname version with green backlight on Aliexpress. It costed $169 with free shipping(wasn't charged any customs duty). The package was shipped on 16/01/2017 and delivered to my place on 03/02/2017 by Gati. The packing was superb. Aux cable, antenna adaptor and a camera adaptor were included as well.

The Superb, when launched in 2009 came with the RCD 510, surrounded by a trim panel.

Name:  Screen Shot 20170214 at 9.59.33 PM.png
Views: 27662
Size:  531.2 KB
Source: Google

Later, the audio system was changed to bolero with piano black finish.

Name:  Screen Shot 20170214 at 10.06.42 PM.png
Views: 18636
Size:  445.4 KB

My Superb came with the bolero player, so placed an order for the trim with the authorised dealer, who was kind enough to hand it over to me directly.

Skoda Superb: Swapped the stock Bolero system with an RCD330 Plus-img_5273.jpg

Part number: 3T08580691QB
Price: Rs 2619/-

Firstly, remove with the the black fascia with a trim removal tool. This exposes the four Torx T20 screws. Unscrew the Torx screws and the system slides out easily.

Skoda Superb: Swapped the stock Bolero system with an RCD330 Plus-img_5237.jpg

I was expecting a Bosch unit, but it turned out to be a Delphi unit.

Skoda Superb: Swapped the stock Bolero system with an RCD330 Plus-img_5244.jpg

Skoda Superb: Swapped the stock Bolero system with an RCD330 Plus-img_5240.jpg

Skoda Superb: Swapped the stock Bolero system with an RCD330 Plus-img_5247.jpg

Unplug the quadlock connector and radio connector from the existing system, connect the same to RCD 330 plus. Slide the system in and tighten the Torx screws. Install the trim in place.

Skoda Superb: Swapped the stock Bolero system with an RCD330 Plus-img_5262.jpg

The park assist looks much better after the upgrade.

Skoda Superb: Swapped the stock Bolero system with an RCD330 Plus-img_5272.jpg

Few key points

1)The maxi dot display no longer displays audio info from the player. So you no longer see the audio menu on the display. It is not a compromise for me as I don't use the audio menu on the maxi dot display at all.

Skoda Superb: Swapped the stock Bolero system with an RCD330 Plus-img_5264.jpg

2) Climatronic info isn't displayed when you alter fan or temperature settings.

3) Only minor issue is the player's green backlight doesn't exactly match with the interior's green backlighting. It does look odd, but I am ok with it.

Skoda Superb: Swapped the stock Bolero system with an RCD330 Plus-img_5243.jpg

4) The steering controls work perfectly. Surprisingly the phone button works and the caller ID is displayed on the maxi dot display. I wasn't expecting it to work as the bluetooth 9W7 kit is already in place. The system does turn off when the key is removed.

5) Pressing the voice command button on the steering wheel activates SIRI when the phone is connected via bluetooth.

On a concluding note, I am in love with the system. It is a refreshing change from the Bolero system's overdose of green. The interface feels a whole lot modern, slick and the touch response is great. The bluetooth functionality is improved, with the addition of favourite contacts on the screen. A highly recommended upgrade for Skoda Superb/Laura/Yeti/Rapid.

Last edited by csr9 : 17th February 2017 at 11:39.
csr9 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 11:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Skoda Superb: Swapped the stock Bolero system with an RCD330 Plus

Mod note: Thanks for sharing, moving out from Assembly Line section.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 22:21   #3
BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb: Swapped the stock Bolero system with an RCD330 Plus

hey i am in the same boat! and contemplating. What about sound quality? do you see a degrade/Improvement? also about Bluetooth, did you check if the roof mounted mic serves better than the one on the RCD330g plus? also during the boot, do you get Welcome to Volkswagen pic?
Old 25th March 2017, 23:28   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
hey i am in the same boat! and contemplating. What about sound quality? do you see a degrade/Improvement? also about Bluetooth, did you check if the roof mounted mic serves better than the one on the RCD330g plus? also during the boot, do you get Welcome to Volkswagen pic?

Hi newtonmeter

Sorry for the late reply. The sound quality feels marginally better. No problem with the mic on the RCD 330 plus, my voice is clearly heard. Yes i get the VW logo on startup. But i have come across units with Skoda logo on startup lately.
Old 26th March 2017, 20:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csr9 View Post
Hi newtonmeter

Sorry for the late reply. The sound quality feels marginally better. No problem with the mic on the RCD 330 plus, my voice is clearly heard. Yes i get the VW logo on startup. But i have come across units with Skoda logo on startup lately.
any leads to aquire these units with Skoda logo??
Old 26th March 2017, 21:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
any leads to aquire these units with Skoda logo??
Please have a look at this listing. Looks like the green backlight is an exact match. Please verify at your end. Do make sure you get the noname version LINK.

Here is the carplay version LINK.
Old 10th August 2018, 19:57   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csr9 View Post

The Superb, when launched in 2009 came with the RCD 510, surrounded by a trim panel.

Attachment 1608501

Later, the audio system was changed to bolero with piano black finish.

Attachment 1608502

My Superb came with the bolero player, so placed an order for the trim with the authorised dealer, who was kind enough to hand it over to me directly.

Attachment 1608503

Part number: 3T08580691QB
Price: Rs 2619/-

Hi, just had a doubt regarding fitting the RCD330 and 340. Didn't your Superb had a wooden panel? Is there any way to retain that and retrofit the HU? It currently has a Swing system.
I am planning to upgrade it on my Laura Elegance, which has a faux-wood panel, similar to the Superb and a black or silver insert might look out of place.
Also attaching a picture for your reference. Any leads would be very helpful.

Skoda Superb: Swapped the stock Bolero system with an RCD330 Plus-images-19.jpeg

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Akshitsi : 10th August 2018 at 20:02. Reason: Sample picture added
Old 10th August 2018, 20:24   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshitsi View Post
Hi, just had a doubt regarding fitting the RCD330 and 340. Didn't your Superb had a wooden HU? It currently has a Swing system.....
Also attaching a picture for your reference. Any leads would be very helpful.

Attachment 1789037
Hi,

The Superb has the HU with integrated piano black facia. Hence, I had to get the trim to install the RCD330. Finding a faux wood trim to support RCD330 would be difficult. The silver trim Link is easily available.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks