Team-BHP - Hyundai Fluidic Verna : Upgraded to OEM Head-Unit with Touchscreen, Navigation & more
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Hyundai Fluidic Verna : Upgraded to OEM Head-Unit with Touchscreen, Navigation & more (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/186798-hyundai-fluidic-verna-upgraded-oem-head-unit-touchscreen-navigation-more.html)

OEM Non-Nav HU to OEM Navi HU : Fluidic Verna ICE Upgrade.

Hyundai Fluidic Verna : Upgraded to OEM Head-Unit with Touchscreen, Navigation & more-img_4364.jpg

Introduction
Well it’s been 2 years since I got home my Silver Beauty and she has clocked 72,000 kms of date. Been absolutely problem/rattle free. She came with every feature that I would want in a car, so I stayed stock with her for a while. Now I’ve always liked my cars stock but any modification would be strictly OEM only. 

Now the first grouse I had was with the headlights which were absolutely pathetic for highway drives and for a car costing 12 big ones on-road, this was a compromise I wasn't willing to settle with. The lights were upgraded to OEM Projectors with HIDs. Link to thread here.

Now another year, many more miles munched and I had the second grouse - the Audio System! Yes it does its job perfectly, plays FM/AM, plays songs off a USB, AUX, has iPod connectivity, lets me take calls using BlueTooth et al. Now it’s all working flawlessly but the new “AVN System” bug hit me and it was time for another upgrade just to keep her up to date with the latest in the market. Now that the industry standard on most cars is a touch screen AVN system, I decided on getting one for my girl too.

My requirements were:-

The Search Process
So with these requirements on hand, started searching for AVN systems for my car. A simple google search will reveal that there are a mind boggling number of options for my car (or any car for that matter). Right from 3rd party vendors megaaudio & caska to brands like pioneer, JBL, Alpine, Sony, Kenwood etc. to tons of android/windows CE based Chinese/Taiwanese systems on aliexpress/alibaba. Priced anywhere between 10K to 50K, the options were varied and interesting. The most common was a 7” inch screen since the Verna’s dash does not allow for a bigger AVN unit. Did see some 8” & 9” AVN Units on aliexpress too, but they seemed like they were partially blocking the AC Vent. Also it didn’t gel well with the dashboard.

Now most of these systems are plug and play i.e they would work by simply swapping the existing headunit with the new one, no re-wiring required. Some units on offer also supplied their own Reverse camera too. They usually provide a compatible wire harness incase the wiring is different. A very important point I noted while doing my research is that some of these headunits lose the “steering control” function which was of utmost importance to me.

Some of the systems I looked into:

3rd Party systems (Caska, MegaAudio, MapmyIndia)
Since I wanted to keep everything OEM, I went to the nearest Hyundai Dealer (Advaith, BG Road) enquiring about the same. They offered me a Caska based Headunit for 42K (inclusive of installation). They told me that the new AVN system in the Verna cannot be fitted into the older models and that Hyundai does not sell them. The only offering they had and was apparently “Hyundai approved” was a Caska Unit.

Hyundai Fluidic Verna : Upgraded to OEM Head-Unit with Touchscreen, Navigation & more-caska.jpg
This Caska CO-AT193 is the only model that can be fitted to the Verna directly by the Hyundai Dealers. Posts in the TeamBHP Verna thread indicate that the steering controls for phone dont work with this unit.

Enquired with MegaAudio, they also had a unit for the Verna, priced about 40K.
Hyundai Fluidic Verna : Upgraded to OEM Head-Unit with Touchscreen, Navigation & more-megaaudio.jpg
Image source: theautomotiveindia.com

MapMyIndia also had a custom unit for the Verna. Priced about 35K. This was however not offered at my dealership but I did get a demo of it at a local accessories shop in Jayanagar. Wasn't too impressed with it.
Hyundai Fluidic Verna : Upgraded to OEM Head-Unit with Touchscreen, Navigation & more-fullsizerender-1.jpg
Image source: Akhilesh51's post in the Verna thread on tBHp

These units had everything - USB - photo & video (Video works even on the move), AUX, BlueTooth, DVD Player, Navigation, gelled well with dashboard et al. Phone controls didn't work though. The negatives include the fact that the Interface was downright ugly and the touch unresponsive. Im a iPhone user, so you can understand the dilemma. Maps took ages to load and everything seemed too slow and laggy. I expect a smooth operation if I'm spending upwards of 40K for a system. These systems integrate with the existing fascia very well, but their user experience leaves a lot to be desired. Also steering controls are not fully compatible.

So decided to drop these systems.

Branded units (Pioneer, JBL, Alpine, Kenwood, Sony)
These units come preloaded with everything - maps, usb/aux compatibility, bluetooth connectivity etc. You will need to get these installed from any aftermarket shops. Steering controls work with Pioneer & Sony (tested these two on two of my friend’s verna’s). The only disadvantage being they don't gel well with the dashboard. Clearly looks aftermarket. Also the navigation based units cost upwards of 45K. The non-navi ones cost anywhere between 15-40K. These units are quick, very responsive, offer seamless bluetooth integration, rich user experience and a pleathora of other features. I loved the mixtrax option on the pioneer units. Absolutely brilliant. GPS comes inbuilt with maps, reverse camera can be added and the display mated to the AVN unit.

Hyundai Fluidic Verna : Upgraded to OEM Head-Unit with Touchscreen, Navigation & more-pioneer.jpg
Notice how the system sticks out like a sore thumb on an otherwise beautiful dashboard.
Image source: theautomotiveindia.com

OEM Units (Hyundai)
When I bought my Verna, the company did not have AVN units for the same. The new 2016 Verna’s come with an OEM Touch unit that integrates fantastically with the dash and offers all the features and retains steering controls, also offers timely software and map updates straight from Hyundai. Finding the part for the same was one hectic job. None of the dealers were interested in offering the AVN system on older vernas saying “It is not possible saar”. So after a lot of research, zeroed in on the fact that the AVN System on Hyundai Elite i20, SantaFe, Verna and Creta were made by a company called Motrex Automative, based out of Korea. Unlike my older unit which is made by MOBIS. The unit for the Tucson, Grand i10 and Xcent is made by Mobis itself. This AVN unit offered a simple but fast UI, had built-in maps, compatible with iphone, steering controls would work flawlessly and most of all, it would look like its part of the dashboard.

Hyundai Fluidic Verna : Upgraded to OEM Head-Unit with Touchscreen, Navigation & more-img_4257.jpg
Image source: Verna 4S Brochure

Repeated mails to Motrex and they finally responded saying “they don’t sell the unit to individual customers because HMI does not allow them to”, also the fact that the entire fascia plate has to be changed or trimmed to accommodate the newer system and would require a complete rewiring job and would cost 3 lakhs. I couldn't stop laughing. Also that they are looking into making the unit compatible for older models, that they are in talks with HMI and that it would take 5-6 months for the same. Didn’t buy this.

AliExpress/Alibaba Units.
These are chinese/taiwanese units. These offer everything and more. System comes with all the needed wiring harnesses in the box. They run Android 4.0 or above and Windows CE 5.0. These units come built-in with a GPS Unit. Windows CE based units run a custom map and getting updates might seem a bit of a hassle. Android Units use Google Maps which we are all familiar with. Most of these systems come with a quad core processor, 2GB Ram and 16 GB Rom. They allow video playback even during vehicle movement, read HD videos, allow slideshows of photos, play DVD movies and probably even make you popcorn. Screen sizes range from 6.2” to 8”. The 8” unit partially blocks the AC Vents. These units come with a silver fascia plate unlike the wood finish one we get on Indian Verna’s, which means you’ll need to get that portion wrapped to look like OEM. Too much of a hassle I say. Also reliability is a big question with these units. These cost anywhere between 15k - 35k online. Maps compatibility is an issue. These units run heavily modified Windows CE or Android 4.4 to 6.0. They boast quad/octa-core chips, 2GB RAM, 16GB ROM, are fast and zippy and come bundled with complete wire harnesses to make it a plug and play install. Some of these units even provide a separate reverse cam in the box.

Hyundai Fluidic Verna : Upgraded to OEM Head-Unit with Touchscreen, Navigation & more-2din9quadcoreandroidcargpsnavigationforfontbhyundaibfontsolaris.jpg
Notice how the 9" touchscreen unit partially blocks off the AC Vent.
Image source: Aliexpress

The Purchase
Now, my friend was in Korea on work and he was looking for similar parts for his Elantra when he contacted me saying that the system is available here and for sale. Now before I make a purchase and make sure that it doesn't end up in my attic or on OLX, I had to make sure the wiring was the same for both the units. Tough job since Hyundai does not release Service Manuals to the public. After scouring the net for days and having sleepless nights, I finally zeroed in on a site that gave me the wiring diagram for the older system and the newer AVN, infact this site had the complete wiring diagram of all Hyundai cars. An important point to consider here is that this AVN System is available only for the Indian version of the car and nowhere else. Hyundai probably did this to stay competitive with the City and Ciaz.

Hyundai Fluidic Verna : Upgraded to OEM Head-Unit with Touchscreen, Navigation & more-20170424photo00000012.jpg
the systemclap:

Research & Installation
Installation would require a lot of research and google was my best friend. There is absolutely no shortage of any information online. I could gather everything I needed to make a successful installation. Complete wiring diagrams, part numbers and compatibility charts. You name it, it is available online. Now let's compare the two systems.

Here’s the pinouts for the older system:-
Hyundai Fluidic Verna : Upgraded to OEM Head-Unit with Touchscreen, Navigation & more-fullsizerender.jpg
Hyundai Fluidic Verna : Upgraded to OEM Head-Unit with Touchscreen, Navigation & more-screen-shot-20170511-11.38.12-am.png

Here’s the pinouts for the newer system:-
Hyundai Fluidic Verna : Upgraded to OEM Head-Unit with Touchscreen, Navigation & more-20170424photo00000009.jpg
Hyundai Fluidic Verna : Upgraded to OEM Head-Unit with Touchscreen, Navigation & more-screen-shot-20170511-11.41.35-am.png

Now that we have the pinouts of both the systems and the fact that the pinout pattern appears to be the same to both systems, we need to see if any of the wires differ in the back. Referring the pinout wiring diagrams, I compared the two.
Comparing the two:-
Hyundai Fluidic Verna : Upgraded to OEM Head-Unit with Touchscreen, Navigation & more-screen-shot-20170511-11.36.59-am.png

The newer AVN unit has the same plugs at the back as the existing one. The additional plugs are for the GPS (Blue fakra connector), Sirius XM Radio(pink fakra connector - this is not available in India) and the USB Port connection.

Do note that there are certain pinouts that don’t match. These are for the USB and Reverse cam. My car’s reverse camera is integrated into the IRVM and not into the AVN and I was ok with that. The USB now has a different port and required a different set of wiring which my friend was also willing to get.

Do note again, that my car doesn’t have a GPS receiver (nor does the AVN Unit). The GPS Receiver in the newer Verna’s is integrated into the Shark Fin Antenna which I also asked my friend to pick up. These are available in all colours that the present Verna in India comes in.

Hyundai Fluidic Verna : Upgraded to OEM Head-Unit with Touchscreen, Navigation & more-img_4328.jpg
Hyundai Fluidic Verna : Upgraded to OEM Head-Unit with Touchscreen, Navigation & more-img_4327.jpg
Picked up the Shark Fin antenna and the antenna feeder cable. This antenna contains the FM/AM Reciever (Silver Pin) as well as the GPS Module (Blue Fakra connector).

Since the fascia plate is also different to accommodate the new AVN System, I needed to trim my fascia plate, but voila.....surprise surprise……they had that for sale too. Told my friend to pick that one as well. From my last trip, where I got the OEM Projector lamps, I can tell you, that South Korea is the best place to buy parts for your Hyundai Vehicle. Literally every automotive parts shop in every street corner has parts for all global Hyundai Cars. You name the part and they have it.

Hyundai Fluidic Verna : Upgraded to OEM Head-Unit with Touchscreen, Navigation & more-fullsizerender_1.jpg
The system and the fascia plate.

Installation
Now I had with me:
Time to open the dash and wire it all up. Got the antenna wired up from my local garage and wired the rest by myself. Here it is:-

Hyundai Fluidic Verna : Upgraded to OEM Head-Unit with Touchscreen, Navigation & more-img_4312.jpg
The only pic I have of it when I was installing since I was so excited.

Hyundai Fluidic Verna : Upgraded to OEM Head-Unit with Touchscreen, Navigation & more-img_4378.jpg
Proudly displaying the navigation

Hyundai Fluidic Verna : Upgraded to OEM Head-Unit with Touchscreen, Navigation & more-img_4319.jpg

What works:
What doesn't work: 

My takeaway from all this
Sorry for the long post, mods can remove/merge it if it seems inappropriate.

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Congrats on your purchase. Your dash looks more 2017 OEM now than it did when it had non-touch stereo. And like you said, OEM looks are very hard to beat.

How much did you buy the stereo and the antenna for? You sourced both from South Korea, didn't you?

Great stuff and excellent research. As a matter of fact I have been contemplating to do a similar makeover to my 2nd gen Dzire VXI and had posted in another forum here seeking suggestions.

With your post, there maybe a light at the end of the tunnel for me as well.

Excellent thread! Kudos to your perseverance. It'll be helpful for others if you could share the site where you found the wiring diagram for the car.

Considering you have done so much research, would you happen to know if the head unit has the same hardware as the Android Auto/Apple Carplay compatible unit that Hyundai recently introduced in the Creta?

Excellent DIY with minimal help in the fitting.

I thought it was only the VW group ICE which could be obtained aftermarket, but this South Korea market is great!!

The final look of the fitting is fantastic, nobody could say this wasn't how it came from the factory. Looking forward to you hacking it and turning on CarPlay and Android auto!! That would be a great utility IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drhoneycake (Post 4196884)
...infact this site had the complete wiring diagram of all Hyundai cars.

Can you please share the website url? It would be much appreciated.

I have tried getting in to the Hyundai Global Service Way by making my own account but it seems to be pretty tightly wrapped by Hyundai. I guess only dealers have access to it.

Hi

Please share the link from where we could buy the HU.

Regards,
LN reddy

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikred (Post 4197339)
Congrats on your purchase. Your dash looks more 2017 OEM now than it did when it had non-touch stereo. And like you said, OEM looks are very hard to beat.

How much did you buy the stereo and the antenna for? You sourced both from South Korea, didn't you?

Yes it does look more 2017 OEM. That was the look I was aiming for. Got the stereo for 29k and the antenna for 4k (in INR). Got both from South Korea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitishk (Post 4197480)
Great stuff and excellent research. As a matter of fact I have been contemplating to do a similar makeover to my 2nd gen Dzire VXI and had posted in another forum here seeking suggestions.

With your post, there maybe a light at the end of the tunnel for me as well.

Yes it might be possible. Do search Japanese forums (since you can use Swift parts). You will find that light at the end of the tunnel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidzzone (Post 4197509)
Excellent thread! Kudos to your perseverance. It'll be helpful for others if you could share the site where you found the wiring diagram for the car.

Here is the link Sid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nipcarlover (Post 4197603)
Considering you have done so much research, would you happen to know if the head unit has the same hardware as the Android Auto/Apple Carplay compatible unit that Hyundai recently introduced in the Creta?

Headunit is the same, minor hardware changes are present. Thats what my friend told me, he owns a Creta also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by agambhandari (Post 4197650)
Excellent DIY with minimal help in the fitting.

I thought it was only the VW group ICE which could be obtained aftermarket, but this South Korea market is great!!

The final look of the fitting is fantastic, nobody could say this wasn't how it came from the factory. Looking forward to you hacking it and turning on CarPlay and Android auto!! That would be a great utility IMO.

If you own a Hyundai/Kia car, Korea is the place for any part you would want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrbheda (Post 4197846)
Can you please share the website url? It would be much appreciated.

I have tried getting in to the Hyundai Global Service Way by making my own account but it seems to be pretty tightly wrapped by Hyundai. I guess only dealers have access to it.

Yes that site is only for dealers. Also they charge a bomb for the subscription if I remember correctly. Here is the link to the site.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnreddy (Post 4198993)
Hi

Please share the link from where we could buy the HU.

Regards,
LN reddy

Sir, kindly read through the beginning section of the thread, it is not available for sale online. Sourced it in person from South Korea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drhoneycake (Post 4199154)

Headunit is the same, minor hardware changes are present. Thats what my friend told me, he owns a Creta also.

My dad has a 2016 Verna, with the head unit you just put in. Please update the thread if you manage to get Android Auto activated on this head unit as you have mentioned in the original post.

Excellent install, @drhoneycake, admire your persistence on this! Business idea: You could take this up chargeable basis for Verna owners, given your Korean supply contacts! I would be your first customer :)

Could you please let me know the audio quality of this system compared to your earlier one?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nipcarlover (Post 4199251)
My dad has a 2016 Verna, with the head unit you just put in. Please update the thread if you manage to get Android Auto activated on this head unit as you have mentioned in the original post.

Android Auto and Apple car play works flawlessly on my unit. However the same unit on the Indian Verna's have a slightly different hardware and they don't support these features. As far as I know - mine is the only Verna in the country with Apple Car Play and Android Auto. Will try to put a video of it soon. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PearlJam (Post 4217317)
Excellent install, @drhoneycake, admire your persistence on this! Business idea: You could take this up chargeable basis for Verna owners, given your Korean supply contacts! I would be your first customer :)

Could you please let me know the audio quality of this system compared to your earlier one?

I have another trip to South Korea in October, let's see how it materialises. Will surely ping you in case anything positive turns up regarding the same :)

Audio quality was good (by OEM standards) on the non-touch default system, but this touch HU offers marginal improvements to the sound quality. In all I'm extremely satisfied.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PearlJam (Post 4217317)

Excellent idea.
drhoneycake, if convenient, please do consider this notion.
There is nothing like an OEM (or almost) setup.