Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2007, 11:01   #31
Team-BHP Support

So you have 4000GB of music collection, which means you have 1000 DVDs.
Lets say all your songs are burnt at high bitrate each GB contains approx 100 songs of average 5 minutes duration, so you have 500 minutes of music/GB which means 20,00,000 minutes of music, which is more than 1300 days of music.
Have you even listened to all the music you have, or you just add any song you find on to your music collection irrespective of genre, language etc.,
Old 21st January 2007, 11:49   #32
BHPian

Normally anything will do. I do admit that there may be some duplicate songs also, and there are some video songs also, which can be viewed on IPod video. But it's difficult to track duplicate songs even with softwares. It takes time to sort songs / delete already present songs and then create DVDs also. To create a DVD with all new songs and checking all 900 - 1000 songs takes more than 1 week. Recently in last 4 months, I do not check if I have that song, it just gets burnt on DVDs. It takes only 6-7 minutes to burn a 4.7 GB DVD which costs only 20 bucks.

Most of my office colleagues have 30 - 40 GB each music collection with them. With more than 150 colleagues and friends, it's easy to share music and grow as well. Music shared from 150 colleagues x say 30 GB each = 4500 GB. so 4500 GB / 80 GB IPod = 56 IPods !!!!

I have only English Hindi and some Russian and a few old Tamil songs which I found somewhere. Well I have been collecting music since almost 20 yrs now. I got my first 240 Watts HiFi music deck way back in 1987. It's still running perfectly fine even today without a glitch. It was very costly for us at that time. I also had a huge cassette collection most of which has been converted to MP3 also as a backup because old cassette tapes are now wearing out.

1987 - 2007 is almost 20 yrs now... So that's how the music collection is so huge. So no time to listen to all the music collection. But when you need something good to listen, I'm able to find it.

And I tell, it's a real trouble to organize the music as well. I just do not get enough time today to organize music. Life becomes so tough as you grow. Much as I would like to do so, it's not possible. So I have only around 5-6 GB of some good favourites which I like to listen to again and again. It's not that others are not good, they are. They need time to pull them into the favourites category.

And here's another true secret. I discovered MP3 format in around 1996 - 97 or so. Much before anybody else even knew about it. I used to tell people that it is possible to burn 13 Audio CDs on a single CD. People thought what a joke ! But now it's true. And today it's possible to burn a DVD with 2000 to 2500 , 5 minute songs also without compromising audio quality of MP3s. And this was discovered around 4 yrs back.

I even have a normal 700 MB audio cd with 1200 MP3 songs - created around 5 yrs back which was created by compromising the audio quality. However the songs were of yester years so it is equally listenable. This was only to prove the point that it's possible.

Last edited by Tech : 21st January 2007 at 11:57.
Old 21st January 2007, 13:55   #33
BHPian

Huge collection Tech!

Quote:
I also had a huge cassette collection most of which has been converted to MP3 also as a backup because old cassette tapes are now wearing out.
which software/method u use and which one u have found to the best to give better quality MP3.
I have a software whcih converts cassette songs to lame MP3 but i dont like the quality,its not even up to cassette.
Old 21st January 2007, 14:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

Even i prefer CD / DVD's coz i pod is way too costly my side. 4500 bucks for 512 MB..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post
I have only English Hindi and some Russian and a few old Tamil songs which I found somewhere. Well I have been collecting music since almost 20 yrs now. I got my first 240 Watts HiFi music deck way back in 1987. It's still running perfectly fine even today without a glitch. It was very costly for us at that time. I also had a huge cassette collection most of which has been converted to MP3 also as a backup because old cassette tapes are now wearing out.
Would like to share the Russian songs ??? I am great fan of Russian / Spanish music..
Old 24th January 2007, 09:53   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
which software/method u use and which one u have found to the best to give better quality MP3.
I have a software whcih converts cassette songs to lame MP3 but i dont like the quality,its not even up to cassette.
You can try an earlier version of Music Match Jukebox to record from line in source of your laptop / desktop. I used to use version 6.1. However 7.0 is the oldest I could find here - http://partners.musicmatch.com/archi...0.0149_ENU.exe
Also my 20 yrs old deck had Dolby Noise reduction even at that time, so it generally gave a good sound quality by reducing Hiss noise which is normally associated with cassette tapes. You can also try to use equalizers to control sound quality which is being recorded. Original soundtracks were of good quality however.

Latest version of Yahoo Music Match Jukebox is only for listening.

Abhibh, I shall try to upload the old russian songs somewhere. Any particular good site let me know. However there are a lot of music radio stations now on the net beaming all sorts of language based music.

Last edited by Tech : 24th January 2007 at 09:56.
Old 24th January 2007, 21:05   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post
Abhibh, I shall try to upload the old russian songs somewhere. Any particular good site let me know. However there are a lot of music radio stations now on the net beaming all sorts of language based music.
What kind of Russian songs? Hardcore, Gabber .... the ones with the highest bpm counter i.,e 140 to 180!!!! bpm?
Or just Rock ones?

maybe you ought to check the video Russian Girls - SASHA for a listen
Old 24th January 2007, 23:25   #37
NIP
Senior - BHPian

sorry if this is a little off topic...but what is the best software to rip CDs to mp3?
Old 25th January 2007, 00:21   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
what is the best software to rip CDs to mp3?
Dont know about best but i am using Nero 7 to rip audio cds into mp3.
Its easy to use, can get 320kbps in constant bit rate and there is option for variable bitrate also.
Old 25th January 2007, 01:15   #39
Senior - BHPian

I use a 30GB Ipod video(bought 4months ago), it works to good with easy controller installed Harman Kardon "full paisa vasool", but the only problem is with my ipod the software hangs again and again,screen becomes static.I have given 3-4times for the format to my vendor.. any solution guys?

Conclusion:where Ipod fails Cd's take their place.
Old 25th January 2007, 01:17   #40
Senior - BHPian

ramie,

Which firmware version your Ipod has ?
Old 25th January 2007, 06:36   #41
BHPian

I have an ipod look alike. though it performs better, the hassles of the ipod adapters / chargers make me not in favour of this option. However, this is a better alternative to CDs.

The best should be the integrated HUs which accepts USB / SD-MMC. With SD-MMC option, carrying Gigs of Music is going to be very easy. container to hold multile SD-MMC cards will be at the most of the size of the business card holder.

I think the yeat 2007 will bring in more CD and tape less HUs at cheaper price
Old 25th January 2007, 10:15   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
sorry if this is a little off topic...but what is the best software to rip CDs to mp3?
Some claim it is EAC (Exact Audio Copy) with a LAME encoder. Latest version of LAME is 3.97. MP3 is a lossy format. With large hard disks becoming affordable I'd suggest considering lossless formats (FLAC, WAVPACK etc..).
Old 26th January 2007, 00:25   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
As far as compressed formats go most HUs will only understand AAC, MP3, WAV and other such common formats. OOG, FLAC, WAVPACK are not yet recognised hence the file tags cant be read and displayed on your HU's display.
Hi Navin its possible for an ipod to play all thoses format, that is after a bit of tinkering with apple OS. (compleatly legal and totally reversable)
Old 26th January 2007, 01:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

Off topic,

selling point of ipod was looks. if you gonna keep it in car forever, i beleieve there are many other options like creative, microsoft etc.

and I think for music on the move, solid state are better than HDD.

I bought creative zen because
1. it allows voice recording, good for my sessions with clients.
2. uses AAA battery, replacable/rechargeable anywhere.
3. way cheaper than ipod.

I miss buying muvo, which has an inbuilt USB adapter, it would double up as a flash drive when in need.
Old 30th January 2007, 21:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Some claim it is EAC (Exact Audio Copy) with a LAME encoder. Latest version of LAME is 3.97. MP3 is a lossy format. With large hard disks becoming affordable I'd suggest considering lossless formats (FLAC, WAVPACK etc..).
Navin Sir is spot on in his advise(as usual)

EAC for MP3. Get the right LAME settings and your on your way to some pretty good quality MP3s.

I recently discovered free lossless audio codec (FLAC) and Im yet to start ripping into this format but Iv downloaded (yes im an mp3 pirate!!) some FLAC stuff which sounds pretty good over headphones.

In comparison to MP3 (say 70-80% compression) I reckon FLAC would use 30-40% compression. The result is noticeably larger files but like navin sir pointed out Harddisks are only getting cheaper

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks