Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2017, 10:24   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

2017 Honda City & WR-V ICE: Add Google Maps

Remember this (The 2017 Honda City's ICE: Hidden menus, Bluetooth internet, Apps & more)?

Prabhu Vairakkannu is back. Here's how to install Google Maps on the ICE of your Honda City or WR-V:

Video playback while the car is in motion (not recommended though):
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 22:19   #2
BHPian

Re: 2017 Honda City & WR-V ICE: Add Google Maps

Thank you! This is something that will be very much appreciated by each Honda owner. I want to try it out immediately but I don't have a wifi receiver for my car.

Are there any alternatives to buying the overpriced wifi adapter from Honda dealerships? Help needed!
Old 10th September 2017, 23:45   #3
BHPian

Android 2.3? Exactly as I had guessed here (The 2017 Honda City's ICE: Hidden menus, Bluetooth internet, Apps & more). It's a shame that a so-called premium infotainment system comes with a nearly 5 years old Abandonware from Google. Even the cheap chinese knock-offs you see these days come with Android 5 or 6 or higher. Really pathetic by Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Thank you! This is something that will be very much appreciated by each Honda owner. I want to try it out immediately but I don't have a wifi receiver for my car.

Are there any alternatives to buying the overpriced wifi adapter from Honda dealerships? Help needed!
You could try bluetooth internet tethering with the instructions provided in the other thread linked in OP.
pathik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 08:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post

I got a TPLink one for half the price quoted by Honda.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 12:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

I just tried it. The maps worked well. However a couple of observations below.

1. You cannot sign in to your Google account to save places.
2. There was a difference in the estimated travel time. The digipad showed more than the phone. Route chosen was same though.
Altocumulus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 18:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
1. You cannot sign in to your Google account to save places.
You can sign in once you install the Google Account Manager apk.
Succeeded by trials after researching on different Android forums.

Apk link here.
Google Account Manager 4.0.3-239410
https://goo.gl/92fkrx

However, the maps application is pretty old and you would want to revert to using the new one on your phone or the stock iGO on the AVN itself.

I have figured out a better way to use the AVN navigation by providing the lat and long coordinates as inputs after fetching them from the phone app by dropping a pin.
Old 24th July 2019, 20:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I got a TPLink one for half the price quoted by Honda.
Can you please share exact TP-Link WiFi adapter Model number that you used with the WRV. I am looking for a compatible WiFi Adapter and have not been able to get lucky so far.
Old 24th July 2019, 22:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Can you please share exact TP-Link WiFi adapter Model number that you used with the WRV. I am looking for a compatible WiFi Adapter and have not been able to get lucky so far.
I have Honda WiFi adapter for my Honda City 2017. I inserted it in my computer to check the chipset. It is "RTL8188EU" as you can see from the screenshot.

You can buy this from Amazon.in. It has RTL8188EUS but I am 99% sure that it will work.

You can buy this also from AliExpress @US$4 which has same RTL8188EU chipset.
Attached Thumbnails
2017 Honda City & WR-V ICE: Add Google Maps-rtl8188eu.jpg  

Old 24th July 2019, 22:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I have Honda WiFi adapter for my Honda City 2017. I inserted it in my computer to check the chipset. It is "RTL8188EU" as you can see from the screenshot.

You can buy this from Amazon.in. It has RTL8188EUS but I am 99% sure that it will work.

You can buy this also from AliExpress @US$4 which has same RTL8188EU chipset.
Thanks a lot. This is awesome. I will go ahead and buy a Dongle with the same Chipset. Really appreciate your help.
Old 27th July 2019, 20:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

I got the TPLink TL-WN725N 150 Mbps USB Dongle from Amazon. It works flawlessly with the Digipad in the Honda WRV.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 19th September 2019, 21:17   #11
NKN
BHPian

I have a May'19 WRV and is facing a unique issue with the music system. While I am streaming music via Bluetooth and a phone call comes in, the music streaming pauses and fails to reconnect or play again post disconnecting the call. It only re-starts once I switch off the system, reconnect Bluetooth and play the music app(Spotify/Saavn)
I have tried Samsung S9+, Note 9 and the iphone 7plus and there is no change. Have got this checked twice with the Honda ASS (Crystal Honda Pune)during 1st & 2nd service and they are saying that there is no issue with the system. During 2nd service, the adviser even went on to say that the issue is with my phone. This doesn't make sense as I don't face this issue on my Ciaz or i20. Has anyone here faced similar issues and can suggest a possible solution
Secondly, I feel the speakers are not good for my ears and want to upgrade. While I will look at plug and play options that do not require cutting wires, Honda (read ASS) again says that warranty will be effected. Is that accurate
Old 19th September 2019, 22:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Digipad is so bad! Problem is his solutions are such that once you switch off then switch on then it goes back to default settings. So what I do is keep my phone connected via bluetooth and stream music use Google maps on the phone and listen to the voice for directions as I use the navigation: that way you have your eyes on the road. Has anyone tried entering destinations and search on the Digipad, it's like using your Nokia phone with symbian OS, so buggy and laggy.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 19th September 2019 at 22:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks