Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2006, 15:24   #16
BHPian

The Pioneer 6850 is a good bet. Just got it installed in one of my cars after my earlier HU Pioneer got s*****D.
Spent around 9.5k on it. Pretty decent. Plays quite a few format cd's and good display.
The model is displayed in an ad in AC magazine as well.....check it out there....
Plus its ipod ready......has a adapter at the bottom of the face plate (havent tried that out yet)
Old 7th December 2006, 15:29   #17
BHPian

That is as bad as it can get. I have some CD's and a number of cassettes for which I can not find replacements. Luckily, I came across a site called allofmp3.com, a russian site from which you can buy almost anything reasonably popular, at a rate of something like 4-5 CD's at US$10. Makes sense to me. I do not leave any music in my car, but I have had valuable cassettes destroyed leaving me heart broken. I can not even begin to fathom your loss.
But then do not get your hopes too high, because I couldn't find slightly uncommon names like Elek Baksic or Kodo there. Of course, there will be other sites, but I am sure you are going to keep feeling hollow until the music is replaced.
Old 7th December 2006, 15:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

I'm really sorry for the loss, SK. You can buy a new HU, but money just can't replace the CDs.

I keep only copies of CDs in my car. And I have my entire collection ripped onto my notebook, with a DVD Backup, and a backup on an External HDD. And of course, the whole thing is also on my iPod. The only way you can be sure of keeping your music safe.

Are you sure your HU does not have the free one year theft insurance that Blau used to give about 1 year to 2 years back? If you still have the box your HU came in, or the bill/warranty card, there might be some indication. I'd got a free 1 year coverage when I bought my HU about 2 years back.
I had to mail a copy of my warranty card to Blau's office in Bangalore to get the insurance activated.
Old 7th December 2006, 15:58   #19
BHPian

2 years free insurence from blau..but then you gotta have the face plate for it...
Old 7th December 2006, 16:08   #20
BANNED

Best audio safe keeping policy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I keep only copies of CDs in my car. And I have my entire collection ripped onto my notebook, with a DVD Backup, and a backup on an External HDD. And of course, the whole thing is also on my iPod. The only way you can be sure of keeping your music safe.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Check the above quote for a safe audio safekeeping POLICY!!!!

@Hydrashok. Man!! I appreciate your efforts to keep your music safe.
@SK456. Now, you know what to do???!!!!

Last edited by speedzak : 7th December 2006 at 16:09.
Old 7th December 2006, 16:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

@sk456. sorry to see that you had not ripped them onto your hdd.

The more places i store, the more i get confused. so there is only one place for me & thats my cupboard. my cds never leave the cupboard except in 10s or 12s when it goes to my car.
@ Hydrashok.... how do you manage to keep track of what is where ?
Old 7th December 2006, 16:23   #22
BHPian

good lord hydraashok... !!!!!!!! thats quite an overkill!!!!!
I think a back up on your comp is more than one can hope to achieve..but then how many CD's do I rip/burn..i have over 500-600 CD's ...i really have lost count... and it will take me decades to do that.....
Old 7th December 2006, 16:27   #23
BHPian

i earlier also used to have the same CD policy as you esteem_L ( I actaully have to use a Samsonite suitcase now as my cupboards have run out of space..3 of them actaully ) but thanks to a cousin of mine who forced me to buy a logic case..... the originak jewel case is the only way I actaully like to store my Cd's..
the thief actaully left the CD's lying in th glove compt.. and jsut took the logic case.. :(

Last edited by sk456 : 7th December 2006 at 16:29.
Old 7th December 2006, 18:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

sorry to hear bout your loss sk.
well imho the pio 6850 is the best option for you.

off topic--ummmmmm whats the price of a new pio p9650 guys ???
Old 7th December 2006, 19:10   #25
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Faithless P9650 i selling for 15K i think, its 2005 series the 2006 series is 9800 i think it comes with built in bluetooth.
Old 7th December 2006, 19:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
@ Hydrashok.... how do you manage to keep track of what is where?
Not too tough, actually. I arrange music in folders labelled DVD1, DVD2... etc inside my My Music folder. Whenever I buy a CD I rip it the same day. Copy the folder into the last "DVD.." folder. As soon as a "DVD.." folder reaches 4.2GB I write it to a DVD and start a new "DVD.." folder (if the last one was DVD3, I start a DVD4 folder.

After I rip the CD I also immediately do a diskcopy of the new CD for the Car. Lately, I just write MP3 cds from the MyMusic folder and use the MP3s, rather than haul around a zillion CDs with me in the car.

If the music is not a CD and is uhhh... already in MP3 format, I just copy it into the "DVD.." folder.

I have an Iomega 250GB External HDD and Iomega's AutoBackup software on my notebook. Every 3 days I do an AutoBackup with the External HDD, and the new data copied into my My Music/DVD.. folder gets automatically mirrored in the HDD. (This applies to all my data, not just music).

My iTunes library folder is the My Music folder. So when I sync my iPod with my notebook, the new music gets copied there too.

I've had experience with one Hard Disk crash many many moons ago. A Hard Disk crash leaves you a very wise man after.

If you folks think I'm anal, you should see my Dad. He had 2 DVD copies, 2 External HDD copies and another computer (with 2 HDDs inside for 2 copies) just for backup. But he's a writer and his data and research is priceless so I support him completely.

Backing up is easy if you have a good automated software, and a good way of organizing your original data in the first place.
Old 7th December 2006, 21:37   #27
BHPian

If they were original cds from abroad, here is my 2 bit.
Never carry original cds out of your house unless you are a dj.

Buy them, burn a copy use the copy. Nowadays u can burn multiple cds into a single disc, but thats another story.

If you have good stuff, rare stuff which i assume you have since they are all brought in, burn 'em and use the copies.
The original put 'em into their sleeves and store them in the house.

Thats my 2 bit.
Cheers,
AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
Nope...not ripped onto my comp...no burnt CD's as well....all original stuff..msot of them from abroad.. im still in shock.....
Old 8th December 2006, 14:59   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I keep only copies of CDs in my car. And I have my entire collection ripped onto my notebook, with a DVD Backup, and a backup on an External HDD. And of course, the whole thing is also on my iPod. .
I am almost as bad. I dont even use my originals except on one partucular CD player.

I have 2 copies in a lossless wavpack format on 2 different hard disks (one at home and one in the office), 2 more copies in MP3 format on the same 2 hard disks. These are only used for master and sync.

For playback I use 2 ipods which have the entire MP3 collection. This way even if an ipod crashes I just drop in the back up ipod.
Old 8th December 2006, 22:52   #29
BHPian

FOLKS.. got my new HU..as usual planned budget was no where in sight......
Got me the Kenwood k-CD01....a mean machine....

Kenwood Corporation | Products | Car Entertainment | Head Unit | K-CD01

Just what the doctor had ordered... no frills..jsut pure music..... doesnt even play mp3's..perfect...
has twin burr brown decoders...all aluminium face plate..all metal no plastic..fantastic finish.....

The music:

exceptional mids.... frankly was quite close to a HXD2 .... one of the best HU's i have heard after the HXd2... ... far far superior.to any of the blaupunkts/alpines/pioneers ive heard.......

Damage done 23K...and Of course JB's exceptional install...priceless...
Old 8th December 2006, 23:09   #30
BHPian

Nice! You sure have guts to buy a 23K fixed face HU days after getting one stolen..

Most Viewed