Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2006, 17:11   #1
BHPian

sub amp spkr installation advice

hi,

i own a hyundai accent crdi my ICE is as follows

HU - Pioneer 5650 mp3
Amplifier - Pioneer Gm-x944 and a 4 channel amp (the cheap alpine one and not the original)
Subs 12" - 2 pioneer 304c svc - 1 Pioneer 306c svc
Speakers - pair of infinity 6x9 - pioneer ts20 tweeters in front
Pioneer 12 disc changer
seperate boss wiring kit for both the amps

rightnow 1 sub 304c is on the alpine amp bridged the other one 306c is on pioneer bridged. the 6x9s and the tweeters are on the pioneer amp.

i only want to use 2 subs can someone suggest the enclosure type for the above subs and how should i wire them (parellel or series) i already have a ported enclosure but the sound quality is average.i will post pictures of my enclosure if i can. i think something is wrong with my enclosure.

thanks
Old 23rd December 2006, 20:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
hi,

HU - Pioneer 5650 mp3
Amplifier - Pioneer Gm-x944 and a 4 channel amp (the cheap alpine one and not the original)
Pioneer 12 disc changer

rightnow 1 sub 304c is on the alpine amp bridged the other one 306c is on pioneer bridged. the 6x9s and the tweeters are on the pioneer amp.

i only want to use 2 subs can someone suggest the enclosure type for the above subs and how should i wire them (parellel or series) i already have a ported enclosure but the sound quality is average.i will post pictures of my enclosure if i can. i think something is wrong with my enclosure.

thanks
Not such a good idea to use two different subs. See if you can trade in one of them and get one more of the other. Even worse to feed them different amounts of power from different amplifiers.

The 944 can drive 2 ohms in bridged mode (although the manual doesn't exactly say so). That means you can run 2 DVC subs on the 944 alone, and it will put out a bit under twice the power that it would into one sub. For the speakers, do them and yourself a favor and throw out the fake Alpine amp. Get a respectable amp instead. Something from Blau should cost you about 6.5k for a 4 channel.

Just TS-20s in the front? Actually, irrespective of where they are... TS-20s? 1" ferrite dome shreikers? Even if they were good tweeters (which they aren't), they shouldn't be lonely up ahead. Get a budget compo atleast, or if you can't for the moment, just get rid of the TS-20. It'll be a whole lot more pleasant in the front.

Since you have a 5650 which aint got 3 pre-outs, you will need line ouput converters if you plan to use both front and rear speakers, and retain fading.
Old 23rd December 2006, 22:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
hi,

HU - Pioneer 5650 mp3
Pioneer 12 disc changer
Hi clipto333,

Welcome to the ICE section. Most people(including myself and many others here) enjoy music when there is a clear stereo front soundstage. To achieve this I strongly recommend a good pair of 5.25/6.5 compos/coaxials from JBL/Infinity. Drive them using 2 channels of X944 and bridge the rear channels to drive any one subwoofer. For now drive your 6X9 with just ur HU. Your music will be much more pleasant and enjoyable.

BTW, how healthy is your car electrical system, considering the fact that you have 2 amps. Do your head lights dim? I have the same car and would like to know about it.
Old 24th December 2006, 00:51   #4
BHPian

thanks a ton
that alpine amp i got it for free so thats the reason its there.
what do i do now with my current setup as i cant really afford an amp and comps rightnow(i have to buy my wifey a new phone hehe) i will add it later on in a month or two. and i want to do it in phases.

so should i just remove the alpine amp and wire the 6x9s to 944 or on the hu. rightnow i want balanced sound till i get a new amp and comps. how much do the comps cost should i go for infinity or some other brand?
how much will it cost me? and what size? is 944 a good amp?

thanks
Old 24th December 2006, 14:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

should we call it an alpine amp?
Old 24th December 2006, 15:18   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jCube View Post
Hi clipto333,

Welcome to the ICE section. Most people(including myself and many others here) enjoy music when there is a clear stereo front soundstage. To achieve this I strongly recommend a good pair of 5.25/6.5 compos/coaxials from JBL/Infinity. Drive them using 2 channels of X944 and bridge the rear channels to drive any one subwoofer. For now drive your 6X9 with just ur HU. Your music will be much more pleasant and enjoyable.

BTW, how healthy is your car electrical system, considering the fact that you have 2 amps. Do your head lights dim? I have the same car and would like to know about it.
Hi Jcube,

I will try it out. And about the electrical system yes my head lights dim. I dont think adding a capacitor will sort this thing out. i wanted to upgrade my charging system but i dont think we get bigger alternators(bolt on fit) in india. im planning to upgrade the wires(the big three). let me know if that helps. or is there sny other way i can upgrade my electricals
Old 24th December 2006, 15:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
ok fake alpine or whatever you want to call it
Old 24th December 2006, 18:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks a ton
that alpine amp i got it for free so thats the reason its there.
what do i do now with my current setup as i cant really afford an amp and comps rightnow(i have to buy my wifey a new phone hehe) i will add it later on in a month or two. and i want to do it in phases.

so should i just remove the alpine amp and wire the 6x9s to 944 or on the hu. rightnow i want balanced sound till i get a new amp and comps. how much do the comps cost should i go for infinity or some other brand?
how much will it cost me? and what size? is 944 a good amp?

thanks
The 944 is a good amp. With two subs, and just one pair of rear speakers, I wouldn't be surprised if you have too much bass.

For now, get rid of one sub, the fake Alpine, and the tweeters. I'm sure you'll find some takers for it. See how much you can rake up, and then invest in a good pair of front comps and an amp to drive it. If you find the bass lacking with one sub, then get another. Otherwise, I dont really see the need.

And of course, do please get your wife the phone asap. If she's pissed, I'm sure your car audio aspirations will take a premature U-turn!
Old 24th December 2006, 18:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Ha ha, yeah! That sure sucks.
Old 26th December 2006, 16:21   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
For now, get rid of one sub, the fake Alpine, and the tweeters. I'm sure you'll find some takers for it.
from what i understood he has 2 304Cs and 1 306C. so he has 3 subs. I have not compared these 2 so cant tell which of these he should keep. I would assume the 306C is a later model.
Old 3rd January 2007, 12:59   #11
BHPian

[quote=navin;343764]
hi navin,

i have decided to upgrade my ice and i need your help...i have 20k spare cash and im gonna sell some of my existing setup...

stuff im planning to sell...

kenwood basic mp3 HU 1 preout
that fake alpine amp(there will be many takers for it in my city i know lol)
2 304f
1 306c
1 pio ts-20 tweets
i think i can rake up around 8 - 9k

so im planning to add front compos an amp and 2 dvc subs..i have a pio944 a fried pio HU lol lets see if it works again...infinity reference series 6x9 100w rms...please help me decide what should i buy. you know my budget...min 20k max 27 - 28k...

thanks
rishabh
Old 3rd January 2007, 13:43   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...i have 20k spare cash and ...stuff im planning to sell...
kenwood basic mp3 HU 1 preout
that fake alpine amp(there will be many takers for it in my city i know lol)
2 304f
1 306c
1 pio ts-20 tweets
i think i can rake up around 8 - 9k

you know my budget...min 20k max 27 - 28k...
So you have 27K + a 944 amp. Right?

Since there are plenty of good brands I wont be specific.

Lets keep 9K for your HU. You can get a good HU with 3 pre outs etc.. for that sum. Pioneer, Sony, Blaupunkt, Kenwood can be considered.

That leaves 18K.

Front Speakers: 6K for components JBL GTO, Alpine Type S, (Hertz Energy is a bit more from what I hear),
Rear Speakers: 4K for coax same brand as above.
Subwoofer: 8K with box. JBL makes a boxed sub at this price or you can get 2 JBL GT4-12 and make a box for a bit more, I dont know any other sub that fits in this price and offers the same or better performance. However if you run into an Audiobahn or Hertz 12" selling at this price it might be an option too.

Brands mentioned are not written in stone. Please use your own ears and listen to a few brands so that you know what else is out there.

Use 2 channels of the 944 to drive the sub and the other 2 to drive the front components and use the HU to drive the rears.

Actually if I were you I'd forget the rears and spend the 4K on wires and damping the doors. You can add the rears later when budget permits.
Old 3rd January 2007, 16:20   #13
BHPian

Hi Rishab

Nice to see someone closer to me than anyone else here.

You can keep one or two sub depending upon ur choice for bass.And what i have heard of pio306 subs [not heard them] they r quite decent.

With sub+944amp already with u,buy one HU~9k[pio,kenwood,blau],front compo with rear coax~10k,Pio 6100,a 4-ch amp~7k and remaining for wires+install.Use 944 for two subs.
Old 3rd January 2007, 23:39   #14
Team-BHP Support

Doc, I'd keep the 306c sub and sell the 304f. Now that means Clipto will either have to get a second 306c or use the 944 for one sub and 2 speakers (either front and rear)

option 1:
Now with that covered, clipto, you can spend the 8K saved on either a good 4 ch. amp for the front components using the 944 for the sub and rear comps.
HU: 9K
Sub 306C
Front components: 6K
Rear coax: 4K
Amps: 944 and 6100 (7K)
using supplied wires and no damping.

option 2.
HU 9K
Sub: 306C
Amp: 944 for front and sub.
Front components: 8K Infinty, Alpine Type R, Polk, Hertz Hi-Energy, etc...
Rear Coax: 6K same as above
Damping on doors and trunk: 4K
good wires: 3K
Use HU to power the rears.

I prefer option 2 as once damping is in place you can add an amp when budget permits.
Old 4th January 2007, 15:14   #15
Team-BHP Support

Clipto, there is another 306C that is available on marketplace. Just a heads up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks