Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2018, 23:45   #16
BHPian

re: Apple CarPlay users rejoice! Google Maps coming soon EDIT: Now released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post

Over to Google now.
Google maps update is out.😊
autospeaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 00:05   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
Great! Now to try it tomorrow in the car. Hope it shows traffic too.
Old 19th September 2018, 00:12   #18

It does. It works just like it would work on Android Auto. Except it doesn't play well with Siri voice. You'll need to use the voice search in the Google Maps app to search.
Old 19th September 2018, 00:55   #19
BHPian

Yep, the update is out. Check this link: https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/18/1...rty-navigation
Can’t wait to try it out first thing in the morning. Just updated Google Maps on my iPhone to the latest version. Will post pics if and when I can. I’d like people who use Android users to post a feature comparison, if possible. I don’t recall the last time I used an android phone or android auto.
Old 19th September 2018, 09:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
Yes. Finally.

Tried this morning and it works very well. The experience is very fluid. This is a perfect mix of best of both Apple and Google and its a sight and experience to behold (see below).

Except for: My iPhone 7 routed me all over the place, couldn't track me correctly, re-routing was terrible. Traced the issue to iPhone GPS chip. Seems like many things are happening with Google Maps in the foreground, and the GPS chip could not cope. I paired it with my external GPS (which has a 5Hz update capacity) and the end result was pure bliss.

I still consider this entire CarPlay experience as a distraction. Now that the holy grail of mapping is achieved, I putting out my CarPlay experimentation to a pasture. Its AirPlane mode from now on with a blank screen :-).
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 10:33   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Yes. Finally.

Except for: My iPhone 7 routed me all over the place, couldn't track me correctly, re-routing was terrible. Traced the issue to iPhone GPS chip. Seems like many things are happening with Google Maps in the foreground, and the GPS chip could not cope. I paired it with my external GPS (which has a 5Hz update capacity) and the end result was pure bliss.
Its AirPlane mode from now on with a blank screen :-).
No such issues observed this morning on my iPhone 8. Could you please share the details of pairing with external GPS (How and what device along with cost and purchase source details). Also i am using carplay on my S-cross SLDA unit and the major irritant i find is that there is no option to turn the display off. Only thing which helps is turning the brightness down which is unfortunately coupled with the instrument cluster brightness and makes speedometer etc. illegible as well which in my opinion is counterproductive.
Old 19th September 2018, 10:35   #22

Updated it last night on my phone used to while driving to work this morning, worked like a charm. Finally, no more jugaad navigation while I'm connected to CarPlay
Old 19th September 2018, 10:57   #23

Working just like it should. Voice search is bugged out though. Need to scream into the phone instead of using the voice search icon on the CarPlay interface of Google Maps.
Old 19th September 2018, 13:57   #24
BHPian

Re: Enabled! Apple CarPlay in my BMW 5-Series (G30)

Apple CarPlay users rejoice! Google Maps coming soon EDIT: Now released!-img_9778.jpg

Google Maps in Carplay on the New Swift. Works great.Very welcome update for Carplay users.
Old 19th September 2018, 18:43   #25

I am so glad to be able to use Google Maps+CarPlay using my iPhone on RCD 340G Plus. I've used Google Maps via Android Auto, but performance wise it wasn't as smooth as what I experienced today on CarPlay.

Old 19th September 2018, 20:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
No such issues observed this morning on my iPhone 8. Could you please share the details of pairing with external GPS (How and what device along with cost and purchase source details). Also i am using carplay on my S-cross SLDA unit and the major irritant i find is that there is no option to turn the display off.
Visit this URL.

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electron...&keywords=xgps

Get it shipped to India or get it from someone whom you know is traveling. I think this is a 1-4 Hz model. It seems to support WAAS too, but may not work in India (and that's not an issue). The benefits of this GPS is many. You can pair it with any device, outsource the hardest work done by the mobile to this unit (saves battery and improves performance like anything). You can place this unit in the dash and place your mobile anywhere in the car. I can go on and on.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 19th September 2018 at 20:31. Reason: typo
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 11:36   #27

Could someone please confirm if the Google Maps Night Mode is working on CarPlay? I tried relevant settings on my phone, but Google Maps was stuck to day mode.
Old 20th September 2018, 12:16   #28
BHPian

I have installed rcd 330 and have iPhone 7 running on iOS 12 but I am not seeing google map option in car play. Can someone provide some insight on what I might be missing .
Old 20th September 2018, 15:13   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet1712 View Post
I have installed rcd 330 and have iPhone 7 running on iOS 12 but I am not seeing google map option in car play. Can someone provide some insight on what I might be missing .
Could possibly be two things.

1. You would need to update Google Maps to the latest version, 5.0.

Apple CarPlay users rejoice! Google Maps coming soon EDIT: Now released!-img_7056.png

2. This is trivial but the Google maps icon will be on the second screen. So swipe to the second page

Apple CarPlay users rejoice! Google Maps coming soon EDIT: Now released!-img_7057.png
sandeep.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 18:55   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binod049 View Post
Could someone please confirm if the Google Maps Night Mode is working on CarPlay? I tried relevant settings on my phone, but Google Maps was stuck to day mode.
This seems like a known bug at this point of time. Need to wait for a fix. How about your CarPlay display itself? Is that switching to the night mode?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks