Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2018, 22:13   #31
BHPian

re: Apple CarPlay users rejoice! Google Maps coming soon EDIT: Now released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binod049 View Post
Could someone please confirm if the Google Maps Night Mode is working on CarPlay? I tried relevant settings on my phone, but Google Maps was stuck to day mode.

In my case, turning on the headlight changed the Google map mode to night view automatically. I did not make any changes to settings in iPhone. You might want to try this and see.

Thanks
venks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 22:55   #32

Mine switches to night mode automatically along with my auto headlamps.
morecrap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 02:48   #33
BHPian

I updated my iPhone to iOS 12 the other day, and also updated the Google Maps app that released support for CarPlay. I have made a short video, outlining the functionality in CarPlay mode. Check it out here: (EDIT: Looks like YouTube has compressed my video a lot, so if you want to view it in a higher resolution, choose 360p from the settings. Apologies, but I haven't yet figured out all the controls on the YouTube dashboard)

Once you update the app as well as iOS to the latest version currently available, you will find the Google Maps icon displayed on the CarPlay interface, as seen here:
Apple CarPlay users rejoice! Google Maps coming soon EDIT: Now released!-photo6134244726950438976.jpg

When you launch the app on CarPlay, this is how it looks, assuming Night Mode isn't activated (more on that, in a bit). The interface looks clean, and nothing extraordinary. Admittedly, I haven't used Android Auto extensively, but somehow, the interface here looks decidedly minimalist, and the on-screen keys retract, only to re-appear when you tap on the screen:
Apple CarPlay users rejoice! Google Maps coming soon EDIT: Now released!-photo6134244726950438977.jpg

Tap on the settings button on the top right corner of the map (when the buttons are visible, and not retracted), and you will see this:
Apple CarPlay users rejoice! Google Maps coming soon EDIT: Now released!-photo6134244726950438978.jpg

The satellite view looks particularly cool on the large, hi-def screen in my Superb, although I'm not sure how useful or distracting it can be, while driving:
Apple CarPlay users rejoice! Google Maps coming soon EDIT: Now released!-photo6134273335727597579.jpg

You can input a destination, search for restaurants or nearby petrol stations or even give a voice command to enter your destination. I couldn't activate the voice search option through any of the buttons on my steering wheel, unlike the way I activate Siri, but I suppose that was expected, at least initially:
Apple CarPlay users rejoice! Google Maps coming soon EDIT: Now released!-photo6134273335727597577.jpg

You can also simply type/spell out the destination using the on-screen keyboard, which is a nifty feature to have, given how tricky it can be to pronounce names of shops and localities in the Indian context. That said, I can't imagine anyone sensible to use this while driving, so I'd expect the shotgun/front passenger to do the honours, when needed:
Apple CarPlay users rejoice! Google Maps coming soon EDIT: Now released!-photo6134273335727597581.jpg

Also, as one would know by now, when you open an app in CarPlay, the same app is simultaneously opened on your iPhone, too, provided its unlocked and the screen is turned on. With Google Maps, this is how the app looks when you turn on the navigation (I know, I could have simply taken a screenshot, but to be honest, it didn't strike me at the time):
Apple CarPlay users rejoice! Google Maps coming soon EDIT: Now released!-photo6134273335727597582.jpg

You can also choose from the alternate routes, if available, to your destination, prior to commencing the navigation, or even during the journey. Just click on "More routes", if and when needed:
Apple CarPlay users rejoice! Google Maps coming soon EDIT: Now released!-photo6134273335727597578.jpg

Now, about the night mode feature. This is how the interface looks when the feature is activated:
Apple CarPlay users rejoice! Google Maps coming soon EDIT: Now released!-photo6134244726950438981.jpg

As someone pointed out previously on this thread, this is activated when the car's headlamps are turned on. However, I found it especially cool that the Night/Dark mode activation is linked not directly to the headlights, but to the photoelectric sensors located behind the IRVM. What this means is that, in auto headlamp mode (I can't recall the name Skoda uses for this feature), as seen in VAG cars, its not necessary that the night mode is always activated when the headlamps are turned on, say, during rains when the wipers are functioning. However, when it gets dark and the headlamps are turned on automatically, then you see the Maps interface also turning on its Night Mode. That's rather ingenious, and a proper use of the car's sensors by a third party app on your phone. However, I couldn't check whether the Night Mode can be activated by overriding the auto-headlamp feature, so there's that.

All in all, the Google Maps support on CarPlay hasn't disappointed, so far, but I do admit it's a tad buggy, at times. There was an odd moment when the voice guidance was automatically turned off when I was playing music in the background, on Apple Music. Also, I don't think you can turn off the infotainment screen and just rely on voice guidance; I tried that and ended up stopping the music as well as the navigation. Perhaps its just a bug, or maybe that's how its wired to work. But this is nitpicking, to be honest. Going by my first impressions, its safe to say I am happy with the way the update has panned out.

A few more pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Apple CarPlay users rejoice! Google Maps coming soon EDIT: Now released!-photo6134244726950438979.jpg  

Apple CarPlay users rejoice! Google Maps coming soon EDIT: Now released!-photo6134244726950438980.jpg  

Apple CarPlay users rejoice! Google Maps coming soon EDIT: Now released!-photo6134273335727597580.jpg  

Last edited by gk1234 : 21st September 2018 at 03:10.
gk1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 11:11   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by venks View Post
In my case, turning on the headlight changed the Google map mode to night view automatically. I did not make any changes to settings in iPhone. You might want to try this and see.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by morecrap View Post
Thanks folks. The HU (RCD 340g Plus) installed on my Polo comfortline was purchased from AliExpress. Could that be the reason? Everything else on the HU works just fine (Bluetooth, etc...). Even the HU's display dims when I turn on the Headlights. Do I need to do some VCDS coding?

Note: Few months back, when I tried Android Auto, night mode in G Maps was working just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morecrap View Post
Which car and which HU? VW Polo with RCD 330/340?

Last edited by ajmat : 21st September 2018 at 15:29.
Old 21st September 2018, 11:35   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks folks. The HU (RCD 340g Plus) installed on my Polo comfortline was purchased from AliExpress. Could that be the reason? Everything else on the HU works just fine (Bluetooth, etc...). Even the HU's display dims when I turn on the Headlights. Do I need to do some VCDS coding?
You should write to the AliExpress vendor and explain this problem. Maybe they have fixed this bug and there is a firmware update available.

OT, I have purchased a couple of HUs from AliExpress (Android and DS611) for my Polo GT. As these are replicas, they do not undergo the same quality tests that an OEM unit would undergo. Both the HUs had some bugs, which was never fixed by the manufacturer. I had to live with them.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 14:56   #36

Quote:
Which car and which HU? VW Polo with RCD 330/340?
No. Next Gen Verna with whatever comes stock in SX+
Old 25th September 2018, 12:23   #37
BHPian

Looks like Waze is joining the party, although this isn’t unexpected, what with Google owning Waze.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/24/1...gation-support
Old 25th September 2018, 12:48   #38
BHPian

Quick question folks..When I am using any lightning USB cable bought from amazon with my iPhone, the Car Play doesn't work. Although, the phone charges as usual. So, basically we always have to use Apple Certified cables?? Wanted to keep a multi-output-single-USB-input cable to use with both Android and Apple phones.
Old 25th September 2018, 13:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
Quick question folks..When I am using any lightning USB cable bought from amazon with my iPhone, the Car Play doesn't work. Although, the phone charges as usual. So, basically we always have to use Apple Certified cables?? Wanted to keep a multi-output-single-USB-input cable to use with both Android and Apple phones.
Try connecting the iPhone to laptop using the same cable. Check if it works? Secondly try connecting some other phone and see if car play works

I have a doubt the cable that you are using is just a charging cable and not data cable.

I may be wrong. but, just to eliminate the possibility, do the above experiment and let us know
Old 25th September 2018, 13:08   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Lighting cables for Apple devices are very tricky. Most of the uncertified ones will not work even though some will charge the phones for sometime. Best is to buy MFI certified cables only as then the data will be able to travel easily and the phone will not get spoilt.
Old 25th September 2018, 13:16   #41
BHPian

Re: Apple CarPlay users rejoice! Google Maps coming soon EDIT: Now released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk1234 View Post
Looks like Waze is joining the party, although this isn’t unexpected, what with Google owning Waze.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/24/1...gation-support
There is already another thread for Waze on Apple CarPlay: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...head-unit.html (Waze Maps on your Apple CarPlay Head-Unit)

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 14:08   #42

Quote:
Since this is not just a power but a data connection over the cable, it will need a proper cable and not the multi charging ones. You can use the AmazonBasics lightning cables; actually any cable that is MFi compliant.
Old 25th September 2018, 23:17   #43
BHPian

thank you @gkveda, @mathuranuj & @morecrap for the inputs. Indeed it was just a charging cable and could not transfer data. Luckily I found a lightning cable of my earlier iPhone so using that now and returning the multi-output one. But still need to carry android cable for other phones even if just for charging 😕
Old 26th September 2018, 08:35   #44
BHPian

I was watching YouTube videos on android auto versus Apple CarPlay functionality, and I came across this:

These guys are pretty good, what with their detailed and funky reviews. This is their third CarPlay v. Android Auto comparison video, and the content is not bad.
Old 27th September 2018, 17:40   #45
BHPian

Is anyone facing battery drain issue after moving to iOS 12? I feel the stand-by time has considerably reduced.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks