Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2007, 12:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Quick Suggestions needed, Please

My friend is in the process of finalising an OHC. He is a SPL guy. His budget would be around 60K. I have thought of suggesting the Sony M-Ex R1 DVD HU that i have. anything better would be welcome. I leave the choice of speakers, sub, amp etc to the experienced ICE guys. I am more inclined/comfortable with JBL components & ovals. Kenwood for the sub & no idea about the amp/amps. Sam, please help me out with model numbers & any contact for JBL in chennai. Hope it is not asking for too much. Thanks.
Old 16th January 2007, 12:30   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Esteem Lover,

If your pre-defined choice is JBL and your budget is 60K including HU, this is what you can do.

Put aside 12K for the HU. You say you prefer Kenwood for the sub. Well, I have no clear idea about those subs, but you can try mounting them in IB (on a plank) or in custom made boxes. I would suggest atleat 2 12" woofers.

You can take GTO components for the front and rear. GTO ovals for the rear and a GTO301.1 or 601.1 to drive the 2 subwoofers with a GTO 75.4 to drive the speakers.

It is not necessary to buy JBL amplifiers. Or JBL speakers. In fact it is not necessary to waste all that money on ICE. OK I am kidding about the last part.

You want the JBL distributor in Chennai, it is Sridhar 9840028060. All the best.
Old 16th January 2007, 13:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

What is the ideal component size for OHC ?
Quote:
You can take GTO components for the front and rear. GTO ovals for the rear and a GTO301.1 or 601.1 to drive the 2 subwoofers with a GTO 75.4 to drive the speakers.
but are you suggesting comps & ovals for the rear or am i stupid ?
ok, what about JBL subs ? where to put 2 subs ? both in a box in the boot or one in the plank (free air) & one in the boot ? are there different subs in JBL for these different installations ?

BTW, my friend is an investor & he thinks he is investing this money for excellent retrurns.
Old 16th January 2007, 13:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
What is the ideal component size for OHC ?
but are you suggesting comps & ovals for the rear or am i stupid ?
ok, what about JBL subs ? where to put 2 subs ? both in a box in the boot or one in the plank (free air) & one in the boot ? are there different subs in JBL for these different installations ?

BTW, my friend is an investor & he thinks he is investing this money for excellent retrurns.
Since your friend likes JBL,

For the front - GTO607C. For the rear GTO637 (unless he already has holes cut for ovals)
If he likes mad loud SPL bass, GTO1204BP-D (25000) will fit in the boot (somehow) but you will need a GTO601.1 to drive it at least.

GTO1204BP-D - 25K
GTO601.1 - 20K (I think)
GTO607C - 6.5K
GTO637 - 3.9K
GTO75.4 - 13K

Your friend can pound through hell and back with this. It is a terrible investment in money though lol.
Old 16th January 2007, 13:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sam, EL what about damping?? The OHC with an SPL setup is going to need ****-loads of damping to make it work properly (I think).
Old 16th January 2007, 14:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

I suppose the GTO1204BP-D is a massive tube. i dont want him to drive around without the windshields. Thanks anyway, i will speak to sridhar & get this done hopefully by tomorrow or the day after. cheers

@iraghava. thanks for bringing that up. all this would be of no use without damping, i guess

@sam. will sridhar have ready stocks of these things or will i have to wait a while ?

Last edited by esteem_lover : 16th January 2007 at 14:05.
Old 16th January 2007, 14:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suppose the GTO1204BP-D is a massive tube. i dont want him to drive around without the windshields.
Its actually a dual-bandpass sub. You have to see that thing! It is big and looks scary. I'm sure quite a bit of damping will be needed with that monster in the boot.
Old 16th January 2007, 14:12   #8
Team-BHP Support

Esteem_Lover GTO1204BP-D is a (BP) Band Pass box and yeah it is massive.
Old 16th January 2007, 14:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

can someone give the dimensions for this monster & the approximate budget for damping the boot?
Old 16th January 2007, 14:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

e_l, details and pic at JBL Car Audio | GTO 1204BP-D | FXAudio

Details & price (yes, 25K) also available here: Shop Online; Gift in India: ,* JBL Dual 12 Inch Preloaded Band-Pass Enclosure - GTO1204BP-D,* Automobiles,* Car Electronics,* Car Speakers, Subwoofers, Boxes Buy mobile phones, Gift Flowers, Buy Indian Apparel, Buy Books in India, Buy Cameras

Dimensions: 905mm (width), 380mm (height), 455mm (depth at the base -- 'deepest' part). You'll find the details in the user manual (PDF) here: http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/CAR/Ow...0OM%20FOLD.pdf

Sam had posted a pic of one of these in an Octi a while back. The pic gave a very good idea of its size. Post with the pic. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ing-amp-3.html (Post #43).

Damping the boot (Dynamat/Dynamat Extreme/Fonomat/WURTH/Pylemat) should run between 3K & 4K for a proper job, I guess.

Last edited by hydrashok : 16th January 2007 at 14:36.
Old 16th January 2007, 14:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks hydrashok. that was fast & good. that is a beast. i am sure my pal would fall head over heels in love with it.
Old 16th January 2007, 15:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks hydrashok. that was fast & good. that is a beast. i am sure my pal would fall head over heels in love with it.
That bandpass enclosure kicks like a mule. Your pal will just freak out. Be sure to give it lots of power. I find it a bit steep at 25k (from the point of view that the retail on the drivers in it is just 5-6k each I think), but it saves you the hassle of building your own good looking enclosure, a bandpass one at that.
Old 16th January 2007, 15:56   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
If he likes mad loud SPL bass, GTO1204BP-D (25000) will fit in the boot (somehow) but you will need a GTO601.1 to drive it at least.
GTO1204BP-D - 25K
GTO601.1 - 20K (I think)
GTO607C - 6.5K
GTO637 - 3.9K
GTO75.4 - 13K.
a long time ago i went to school but i am sure maths has not changed that much. that total exceeds 60K without install, damping, or wires! Your friend will have to consider another 20K to cover this. SO the final budget will be
12K+25K+20K+10K+13K+20K = 1L.

Sam, an academic question. I have heard this woofer. It has more slam than traditional 4th order 3 chamber bandpasses. Is the slot a true slot or a tapered slot giving it a degree of horn loading?

The reason I ask is that I have 4 8" Focal woofers that I want to stuff into a compact box and 4th order band pass seems to be an option. The mono-woofer has to keep up with stereo Fostex 167 midbasses and FT17 tweeter (60Hz-20kHz). However bandpasses tend to boom. yada...yada yada...i just realised I was rambling again but my son and me were planning his stereo.

Last edited by navin : 16th January 2007 at 16:02.
Old 16th January 2007, 16:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
The reason I ask is that I have 4 8" Focal woofers that I want to stuff into a compact box and 4th order band pass seems to be an option. The mono-woofer has to keep up with stereo Fostex 167 midbasses and FT17 tweeter (60Hz-20kHz). However bandpasses tend to boom. yada...yada yada...i just realised I was rambling again but my son and me were planning his stereo.
I am supposing you mean 60 Hz to 20 kHz is the response of the mids and the tweets combined. Isn't the FT17 a supertweeter, hence does the mid extend flat into the 4-5kHz range?

With 4 Focal woofers, why dont you make a super duper compact clamshell isobaric enclosure?

Lastly, don't you think a system like that will pretty much scare your son's friends out of their wits and perhaps even their parents?
Old 16th January 2007, 17:17   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
I am supposing you mean 60 Hz to 20 kHz is the response of the mids and the tweets combined. Isn't the FT17 a supertweeter, hence does the mid extend flat into the 4-5kHz range?

With 4 Focal woofers, why dont you make a super duper compact clamshell isobaric enclosure?

Lastly, don't you think a system like that will pretty much scare your son's friends out of their wits and perhaps even their parents?
B&T, it is only 4 8" woofers. To scare today's kids you'd need 4 18" woofers lke the JBL's 2245 (oh how I miss mine!) in a suitably large coffin.

The Fostex details can be found here....
http://www.fostexinternational.com/d.../fe167erev.pdf

box detail here (see bass reflex box at the bottom)
http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...7e_enclrev.pdf

Bob Brines has done a lot of work on this driver
Enter

Drivers have NOT been ordered but we are consdiering a high sensitivity fullrange based system, so if you got other ideas let me hear them. System is for HT as well as audio hence the need for a sub. He's getting my vintage Marantz 5.1 Reciever.

We can discuss this as well as the sub-box off line as we are getting seriously OT. As usual thank to my rambling. Someday a Mod will ban me so let's stick to ICE. The Qts is rather low for a clamshell isobarik though.

Last edited by navin : 16th January 2007 at 17:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks