Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2007, 17:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

But how good are JVC HUs. Please pardon my ignorance as I have absolutely no idea about them since I havent come across a single car(in my acquaintances) sporting them.
Old 25th January 2007, 17:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

@ 10k you get a DVD HU from JVC!

@ 15-16k you get another DVD HU frm JVC with 3 preamp out! and I am seriously thinking about it as my next upgrade!
Old 25th January 2007, 18:00   #18
Team-BHP Support

@technocrat, for JVC look at this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...-any-good.html
Old 26th January 2007, 15:53   #19
BHPian

My brother got Xenos HU in his new scropio ( Xenos MP3 150 Rs. 7.5 k) . I've not heard them but according to him they are pretty decent SQ wise.

The best part they've got MMC card slot and usb in front to coonect to i-pod and hard drives and are priced between 7k - 8.5 k ( with B/W). You can read about it here :
The Hindu Business Line : Xenos unveils new car audio receivers
Old 26th January 2007, 19:52   #20
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
... Butttttttttttttttttttt I got a Pioneer headunit with MP3, remote and all that jazz for only Rs. 4700! It sounds pretty decent and has a LOT more functionality thatn what I would expect in a 5 grand headunit. ...
In my opinion, the cheaper Pioneer H/Us really stink. I've got lousy sound coming from the one installed in wifey's car (2850 or something, I think). This one doesn't have too many bells & whistles (CD/MP3/WMA playback, tuner, blah, blah, blah). No remote, no coffee grinder, no nothing.

This could also be because of my speakers (???!!!), or maybe where I got it from (Sardar accessory-wallah near Shivaji Park), or maybe the fakeness (4.7k less 2k for my old slightly busted JVC H/U).

No doubt, original high-end Pioneer H/Us would sound lovely to most people, if you're into that sort of thing. It's a pity, they used to make some lovely tape decks for the cars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
... I dont know about you guys but I went headunit shopping after a long time ...
... I remember the days when we used to spend 10,000 upward for headunits that were half as equipped. ...
@GTO: You got that right! Hell, I remember paying about 15k for a set of ovals & the Pioneer 8750 H/U back in 1988 for my W123.

And Sam, most of us normal folk don't go shopping for ICE on a daily basis like housewives at a bhaaji market, so quit showing off.

PS: Hope wifey doesn't see this post, else I'll soon be H/U shopping in the 15k bracket too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
...But how good are JVC HUs. ...
IMHO, lower end JVC H/Us aren't bad at all for their price. I had one which played CDs & MP3s through fake Sony Xplod (thousand bucks including shipping from Delhi, whaddaya think?!) speakers in my old Esteem/1000.

Pretty decent sound, all things considered. And a nice display & interface, except for that silly "HELLO" that flashed every time you turned the stupid thing on.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 26th January 2007 at 22:30.
Old 27th January 2007, 00:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
IMHO, lower end JVC H/Us aren't bad at all for their price. I had one which played CDs & MP3s
Quote:
through fake Sony Xplod (thousand bucks including shipping from Delhi, whaddaya think?!)
speakers in my old Esteem/1000.

Pretty decent sound, all things considered. And a nice display & interface, except for that silly "HELLO" that flashed every time you turned the stupid thing on.
did you buy those from baazee.com sometime in 2001/02 ?
Old 27th January 2007, 10:40   #22
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
did you buy those from baazee.com sometime in 2001/02 ?
Yep - the speakers were from there... (you're guy who sold them to me?). The JVC H/U was bought in Dubai.
Old 28th January 2007, 00:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

speaking of tech advances and integration, when i started my hunt for a new HU today (here in US), stumbled upon some units with USB and SD slots for reading music

that solves all portability issues for music i guess.
Old 31st January 2007, 18:25   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
>> kvish : How would you know if a HU is fake? what are the factors which makes you to identify (at shops) a fake HU - especially ones branded Pioneer?
I am *planning* to buy one and advice would be valuable!
I am not sure of how to check the difference. I played safe and got it from Singapore through a friend...worked out cheaper too.... (got it last march for around 8.3K) Mine is a 6850...my friend's got one from grey market...I can clearly make out the difference (especially from the highs) and the power too....

Anyway, autocop has launched pioneer hu's in India...so might as well get the ones with B&W...
Old 1st February 2007, 12:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Yep - the speakers were from there... (you're guy who sold them to me?). The JVC H/U was bought in Dubai.
i had also seen them at baazee.com & was very excited too & called up the guy who said those were sony speaker parts assembled in india & that the SQ would be the same. i even had plans of visiting delhi to personally check on these. thank god, i didn't do that.
Old 1st February 2007, 13:15   #26
elf
BANNED

@esteem_lover: Boy was the 'dealer' wrong! Crappiest sound I ever heard. Ever.

Guys, if I need to change my H/U to a decent Alpine (single CD / MP3 / WMA), any recommended dealers & prices around Bombay? I just want a basic unit that'll sound good. Preferably very few bells & whistles if possible.

Thanks.
Old 1st February 2007, 13:22   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
i had also seen them at baazee.com & was very excited too & called up the guy who said those were sony speaker parts assembled in india & that the SQ would be the same. i even had plans of visiting delhi to personally check on these. thank god, i didn't do that.
Imagine this.

The word SQ and Sony speaker used in the same sentence.

Then imagine a fake, of a bad speaker.

What ever is the world coming to?
Old 1st February 2007, 13:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

sam, this was at a time when Sony did make some listenable speakers
Old 1st February 2007, 14:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
What ever is the world coming to?
one day may be they will end up making better fakes than originals
Old 21st April 2011, 02:34   #30