Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2007, 05:09   #1
BANNED

What's so special about Double Din systems ?

When I was shopping for a HU for Swift, the dealer recommended me a Kenwood Double Din system since Swift has a provision for a Double Din system. Although I didn't like that because of it's poor build quality and there was no other extra features.

So what's so special about this Double Din systems ? Is there any advantage for Double Din systems when compared to Single Din systems(in general) ?

Is it manufactured just to utilise the un-used space in the HU provision ? And why can't we utilise the left out space to store CD's ?

I've also heard that Double Din systems are having poor sound quality. Is that true ?
Old 27th March 2007, 06:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think your dealer was trying to push off a non-moving item. double dins have both cassette & cd players built in. Like you have said, the other features & overall performance seems to suffer (Never used one though). It does serve the dual purpose of listening to media from tape & CD.
Old 27th March 2007, 06:23   #3
BHPian

some of the double din systems (usually DVD players) have a touchscreen display . This type of system can only be fitted in a car with double din. I dont know whether these technically qualify to be double din or not but they surely look good and are have better functionality
Old 27th March 2007, 08:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nope. As e_l said, you need a double-din system only of you want to play cassettes & CDs. Else its all the same. And typically, some of the double din systems do not sound as good as the single din ones. Double Dins usually cost a whole lot more (than single Dins) for mostly the same functionality too.

There are some Double Dins with screens covering the entire double-din area. Here of course the advantage is that you can have a screen (maybe even a touch-screen) on the dash. And some of these also have Processors built in. But then these are in a different range altogether.

Summary: Don't buy it if you don't need to play cassettes. Like you said, use the left-over space to store CDs.
Old 27th March 2007, 10:18   #5
Team-BHP Support

Short version: Get a Single DIN system (like Hydra says).

Long Version: Original Double DIN systems (60s) were created probably to allow for the heat sinks of the older less effcient HU amps and more space consuming electronics. Also Double DIN systems were less likely to be stolen as they had poor is any resale value most were OEMed for specific car marques.

Then in the 80s and 90s Double DIN were used to allow the use of both cassete and CDs in the car. Today Music's primary format is a Hard disk (not CD) and given that today's Hard disk (backed by mordern compression altorithims) can contain so much music newer Double DINs utilize the "real estate" to provide for touch screens, DVD screens etc.. these modern Double DINs are expensive (read as above 25K).
Old 27th March 2007, 13:43   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I've also heard that Double Din systems are having poor sound quality. Is that true ?
Of late, a lot of Japanese companies have manufatured low cost Double Din systems. Most of the time they are all show and no go.
So in a way, this is true. I am not discussing the higher end DD (ooh DoubleD) systems with screens and flying dogs and cats, but the entry level DD systems. Most sound terrible.
Old 27th March 2007, 13:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Why are these called dins ? is it because of the din created when you play them ?
I know it is some sort of a technical term for the mountings, but what is it actually ?
Old 27th March 2007, 14:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Short version: Get a Single DIN system (like Hydra says).

Long Version: Original Double DIN systems (60s) were created probably to allow for the heat sinks of the older less effcient HU amps and more space consuming electronics. Also Double DIN systems were less likely to be stolen as they had poor is any resale value most were OEMed for specific car marques.

Then in the 80s and 90s Double DIN were used to allow the use of both cassete and CDs in the car. Today Music's primary format is a Hard disk (not CD) and given that today's Hard disk (backed by mordern compression altorithims) can contain so much music newer Double DINs utilize the "real estate" to provide for touch screens, DVD screens etc.. these modern Double DINs are expensive (read as above 25K).

Very well written. You a writer or something? You know all about past present and seems like future too. Anyways I dont think anyone still is friendly with cassettes. So always go for single din unless and until you buy the "Touchscreen DVD Double Din"
Old 27th March 2007, 14:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Of late, a lot of Japanese companies have manufatured low cost Double Din systems. Most of the time they are all show and no go.
So in a way, this is true. I am not discussing the higher end DD (ooh DoubleD) systems with screens and flying dogs and cats, but the entry level DD systems. Most sound terrible.
I agree, DDs only make a nice pair. Not worth considering for the dashboard of your car.
Old 27th March 2007, 14:36   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
Very well written. You a writer or something?
Nah! I lived in "the past".
Old 29th March 2007, 05:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Why are these called dins ? is it because of the din created when you play them ?
I know it is some sort of a technical term for the mountings, but what is it actually ?
Its called din because it was originally established by the German standards body Deutsches Institut für Normung (DIN). And thereafter in 1984 it was adopted as an international standard (ISO 7736).
Head units generally come in either single DIN (180 x 50 mm panel) or double DIN (180 x 100 mm panel) size. The depth is not standard.
Taken from wikipedia
Old 29th March 2007, 05:40   #12
BANNED

The Kenwood DD MP3 system that the dealer recommended me lacked any extra features when compared to the Single din system. So is it just a waste of money ?
Old 29th March 2007, 14:04   #13
BHPian

yes.
more show than go.
(tried keeping it short)
Old 29th March 2007, 14:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Actually, the kenwood in question is no show & no go. Looks terrible.
Old 29th March 2007, 14:53   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
single DIN (180 x 50 mm panel) or double DIN (180 x 100 mm panel) size. The depth is not standard.
Or 1.1 DIN, like the HU's made by Becker etc for mostly european cars. They dont fit into single din japanese cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks