Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2021, 19:42   #61
BHPian

Re: Is your Android Head-Unit faking its hardware specifications?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavityavenger View Post
Great, thanks for clarifying my doubts. Any reliable dealers in Delhi/Chandigarh region for these units?
No idea about dealers sorry. In my experience, even the dealers are usually clueless about the spec anomalies (screen, RAM, OS versions) - most of them are okay to let you try out the other units they have in stock, till you find one which matches.

When I bought my unit, the dealer had around 6-7 different models which were 2GB/16GB variants. Except 2 models, all of them were fake - they only had 1GB RAM as confirmed with CPU-Z. I just had to check all of them personally and make a choice.
ts1506 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 20:16   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts1506 View Post
No idea about dealers sorry. In my experience, even the dealers are usually clueless about the spec anomalies (screen, RAM, OS versions) - most of them are okay to let you try out the other units they have in stock, till you find one which matches.

When I bought my unit, the dealer had around 6-7 different models which were 2GB/16GB variants. Except 2 models, all of them were fake - they only had 1GB RAM as confirmed with CPU-Z. I just had to check all of them personally and make a choice.
Thanks..!! appreciate you chiming in. Stay safe..
Cavityavenger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 11:20   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavityavenger View Post
Great, thanks for clarifying my doubts. Any reliable dealers in Delhi/Chandigarh region for these units?
I think most of these dealers are based out of Delhi. You can check Foxfire.
For the high end systems (4GB/64GB Models) in my experience the specs have matched accurately in terms of the Android version, RAM and ROM in the case of Foxfire.

You can also check this thread for more details : (Operation Jeep Compass : Foxfire Android Head-Unit with a 360-degree camera)
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 20:34   #64
BHPian

Few weeks gone by but no updates from Foxfire and I havent followed up either given the pandemic scenario across the country

I can now say that I was scammed by Foxfire and will advise fellow members to go through the thread before buying any android head unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyengineer View Post
So quick update here:

The seller(Foxfire) is firm on unit being sent back to them for checking and has agreed to provide a 2GB unit in case this in turn comes out as 1GB model as per CPU-Z screenshots.

Since I dont have the original packaging I am skeptical to send it back. The seller is also providing an option to settle the matter with some 2k cash and move on.

Requesting views from fellow BHPians on what should I do from here on.

On one side I feel the shipping risk is not worth taking as the unit may be prone to damage and also it would mean driving the car without unit untill the swap arrives. On the flip side I feel 1GB unit may be very inadequate to cater to needs of apps going forward.
Old 28th April 2022, 13:46   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Here is an update on the Brand: Dean Infotainments - Link

FB: https://www.facebook.com/deaninfotainments/

Someone I know purchased a 2GB/32GB/Android 10 Model from Dean Infotainment for ₹14,000. I advised him to check for the Hardware Spec as well as Android version using the required Apps.

The RAM & ROM both turned out to be in sync and valid. The Android OS turned out to be running Android 8.1 instead of the promised v10. In any case, for the price paid at 14K, the value seems to be good for the 2GB/32GB Model. They support India wide shipping as well.
I'm sharing my recent experience with Dean Infotainments.

Model Purchased: Dean Ultra 1.0 Carplay Octacore Android Stereo (4GB+32GB DSP).
Car Installed On: Vitara Brezza VXI

First of all, let me talk about the positives without being too critical about the product. I will, however, talk about the not-so-positive experiences in the latter part of the review.

1. It comes with the latest version of Android 10.
2. Wireless Apple CarPlay works like a charm for 90-95% of the time. Few occasional disconnections can be ignored.
3. Touch response is decent.
4. Comes with DSP (as claimed by the seller). However, not much visible difference was observed. May be will check later after the OEM speaker upgrade.
5. Steering control works well.
6. Good pre-sale response to queries.
7. They managed to arrange an installer.
8. They give you options for selecting the type of reverse camera you want. Bumper type or Number Plate type. I selected the latter as I didn't want to make a visible hole in the bumper. The cameras come with moving grid lines. 9. The set-up features are very confusing. However, the seller helped on Whatsapp chat to fix it.

Now coming to the other side of the overall experience.

1. The biggest issue is the false claims regarding the specifications. IT'S NOT A MODEL WITH TRUE 4GB OF RAM. While they claim it to be a 4GB + 32GB model. When I checked the specs using 3rd party apps like CPU-Z or Device Info HW, it clearly shows that the RAM is 2GB & ROM is 32GB.
2. This is where their actual post-sales service and responses came into the picture. Suddenly, the responses were not as timely as they used to be before the order was placed. On sharing the screenshots from various apps regarding the mismatch of the RAM, they finally confirmed that the actual RAM is 2GB & the device supports another 2GB of VIRTUAL RAM. So, in principle, the specifications were mis-sold.
3. I was promised an expedited delivery within 2 days. However, after placing the order on 30-Mar, it was finally delivered on the 04-Apr afternoon. Once again the post-sale responses were not satisfactory.
4. They had confirmed an installation charge of Rs 600 with the installer. However, when I took the product to them, they asked for Rs 1000 to get this installed as the camera was a number plate type dome camera and not a bumper hole camera.
5. The quality of the camera is not certainly HD quality. It's OKish in broad daylight. However, the nighttime or dark area performance is miserable. The grid lines seem to be moving along with the steering but it is not in sync with the steering movement. So the lines can't be 100% trusted.
6. The drill bit cutter provided for making the hole to fit the camera was of a smaller size. The installer had to make some tweaks to force the camera in its place.
7. Android Auto is not wireless & not as smooth as the wireless Apple CarPlay.
8. On claiming about the wrong product specification, the seller offered a replacement but denied to bear the courier and reinstallation charges. He was ready for me to return the product for a refund or upgrade it to the next higher model (that he claims to be true 4GB and not with hybrid RAM) by making an advance payment of the difference amount. However, they were not even willing to arrange a pick up for the replacement. After a lot of discussions, he offered a refund of Rs 500 as one-time compensation.
9. I had a very specific concern with respect to the security aspects of the stereo and the seller confirmed to me that this model supports a locking feature so that I can use it whenever I give the car for servicing etc. However, to date, they have not explained to me how to activate that feature & continue to avoid my queries on that.
10. If you expect this to be a kind of Android tablet containing all the options in the "Settings" then it's a complete misconception. The features are very limited and there is not much scope to personalize this.
11. This model stays always on in sleep mode. The USB slots are always supplying power to any devices connected to them. So need to be very careful abt the battery
samkat1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 03:26   #66
BHPian

So I guess that all the cheap Android HUs (available for around 5K) have this issue?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks