Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2021, 19:46   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is your Android Head-Unit faking its hardware specifications?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Perhaps there is a difference in buying it directly from Sunny Gupta viz. other accessory shops.
I think the shipping charges increase as compared to local Delhi Installation. Another aspect is that in Bangalore at least he has tie up with a Premium well-known installer (Red Soul) and hence the charges maybe more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyengineer View Post
As far as the price is concerned, I had paid 11k for a 2GB/16GB unit back in Nov 2019. Sharing this here for the benefit of other potential buyers.
The Open Question so far for me is - does Foxfire really have a real 2GB/16GB Model at all? It looks like the other person got a 2GB/32GB as replacement as the "stock" for 2GB-16GB was not there. I wonder if they have a 2GB/16GB with true 2GB RAM at all!

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 12th February 2021 at 19:47.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 19:49   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Shout out to the forum members who have an android head unit to check their system and confirm if it shows correct RAM and CPU speed as claimed by the seller.

P.S.: Its been more than year that I bought unit from the seller and at the time of selling he had clearly indicated that he will help in case of issues but didn't provide any warranty on the unit.
I fell for the same scam a few years ago when I procured two Android headunits from AliExpress.

I raised a case with AliExpress and luckily for me, the seller swiftly refunded the cost of one Android HU. It felt good then, but these "low-RAM" Android HUs are a real PITA for regular use.
Old 27th February 2021, 15:10   #48
BHPian

So quick update here:

The seller(Foxfire) is firm on unit being sent back to them for checking and has agreed to provide a 2GB unit in case this in turn comes out as 1GB model as per CPU-Z screenshots.

Since I dont have the original packaging I am skeptical to send it back. The seller is also providing an option to settle the matter with some 2k cash and move on.

Requesting views from fellow BHPians on what should I do from here on.

On one side I feel the shipping risk is not worth taking as the unit may be prone to damage and also it would mean driving the car without unit untill the swap arrives. On the flip side I feel 1GB unit may be very inadequate to cater to needs of apps going forward.
Old 27th February 2021, 15:14   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The seller(Foxfire) is firm on unit being sent back to them for checking and has agreed to provide a 2GB unit in case this in turn comes out as 1GB model as per CPU-Z screenshots.
1GB is very inadequate for multi-tasking - if I were you I would take the offer and exchange the unit for a 2GB one. The additional discounting to settle with 1 GB Unit is not worth it.
Old 27th February 2021, 19:53   #50
BHPian

Quote:
So quick update here:
I don't understand what else is there to inspect if the apps report 1 GB RAM instead of the promised 2 GB RAM. Try making a video showing the specs reported by the HU's UI and that reported by CPU-Z and point out the difference in the video and send it to the seller. Also, inform him that you are willing to send back the 1GB RAM HU back to him once you receive the HU with 2GB RAM.
Old 28th February 2021, 21:33   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveesh4u View Post
Try making a video showing the specs reported by the HU's UI and that reported by CPU-Z and point out the difference in the video and send it to the seller.
I second this idea - in fact I just made a guidance video and posted onto my Foxfire thread >
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 21:03   #52
BHPian

I have been using Jio sim on my Foxfire HU for a while now. I did not reacharge it for the last year or so as I could make do with the wifi.
But on account of an upcoming trip I happened to recharge it just to realise that the updated Jio app does not support a rooted device.

Anybody else is facing this? I suppose there is no issue getting the data - but calling won't work. My main grouse is with regard to receiving the OTP for JioCinema in the absence of which the login cannot be authenticated.

Any inputs on this would be appreciated.
Old 13th March 2021, 21:43   #53
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
I have been using Jio sim on my Foxfire HU for a while now. I did not reacharge it for the last year or so as I could make do with the wifi.
But on account of an upcoming trip I happened to recharge it just to realise that the updated Jio app does not support a rooted device.

Anybody else is facing this? I suppose there is no issue getting the data - but calling won't work. My main grouse is with regard to receiving the OTP for JioCinema in the absence of which the login cannot be authenticated.

Any inputs on this would be appreciated.
Try using Magisk Root Hide via the Magisk app. It takes some tinkering to get around to, and it would need a device specific custom recovery. Also, SMS should work just fine despite rooting
Old 13th March 2021, 22:14   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
Try using Magisk Root Hide via the Magisk app. It takes some tinkering to get around to, and it would need a device specific custom recovery. Also, SMS should work just fine despite rooting
The android hu already has a custom ROM. I don't want to meddle with it and risk bricking it :-)

On the SMS front, I did not receive the recharge SMS (something that I used to receive in the past) - so not sure of the root cause for this.
Old 13th March 2021, 22:48   #55
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
The android hu already has a custom ROM. I don't want to meddle with it and risk bricking it :-)

On the SMS front, I did not receive the recharge SMS (something that I used to receive in the past) - so not sure of the root cause for this.
Oh ok. Try inserting the SIM card in an another mobile device maybe? That should be of some use.
Kln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 11:36   #56
Senior - BHPian

Here is an update on the Brand: Dean Infotainments - Link

FB: https://www.facebook.com/deaninfotainments/

Someone I know purchased a 2GB/32GB/Android 10 Model from Dean Infotainment for ₹14,000. I advised him to check for the Hardware Spec as well as Android version using the required Apps.

The RAM & ROM both turned out to be in sync and valid. The Android OS turned out to be running Android 8.1 instead of the promised v10. In any case, for the price paid at 14K, the value seems to be good for the 2GB/32GB Model. They support India wide shipping as well.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 22nd March 2021 at 11:44.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 17:17   #57
BHPian

So quick update: I have been told my Mr Sunny (Foxfire) that he will be dispatching the backpanel separately for a new unit that will be meeting required hardware specifications. He had called me in the month of March but due to work and other timelines I assured him that I will send photos requested by him only in April.

Apparently he was upset about this thread and asked me if I would like to delete it. I politely told him that if he provides the swap, I can update the forum mentioning the same but wont be deleting any posts since they are not false.

I have sent him all required photos. Honestly I have less than 10% faith about he keeping his word but lets see. I will update the forum on things as it progresses.

Last edited by geekyengineer : 13th April 2021 at 17:18.
geekyengineer is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 18:57   #58
BHPian

Great thread, I am currently in the process of upgrading my ICE to the Android 10 10.2" screen for my Mercedes.

I have been tracking these android 10 - 10" screens from aliexpress before the "Make in India" policy came into effect and I'm still waiting on an Indian manufacturer to provide the same hardware...

Enough of the rant though, so basically 3 options are available in the market for the 10" Android 10 Head Unit:
1. 2GB/32GB with a 1.4 Ghz 4 core with resolution 1280*480
2. 4GB/64GB with 2.0 Ghz 8 core with resolution 1280*480
3. 4GB/64GB with 2.0 Ghz 8 core with resolution 1920*720

Price quoted for #2- 46K and #3 - 50K including installation.

I went ahead with the #3 option, gave a deposit and the screen worked plug and play as advertised. However, thanks to this group, I installed CPU-Z and checked the specs and it shows up as 1280*480 resolution instead of 720.

Upon raising concern, the body shop (never mentioned the low res screen until I checked it, blamed Hypersonic Delhi for the mix-up.). However, CPU-Z also reported the screen size as 4.29" inches instead of 10.2", which throws me off. Anyone else had this happen as well?

For the wiser folks on this thread, can you please comment on:
1. Reliable dealers of these android units in India (preferably north india)
2. Pricing for the 10" screens I mentioned above. Aliexpress had these for about $500USD, so i'm guessing these guys are making a $200 profit for each unit.

Thanks.
Old 26th April 2021, 19:03   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavityavenger View Post
Upon raising concern, the body shop (never mentioned the low res screen until I checked it, blamed Hypersonic Delhi for the mix-up.). However, CPU-Z also reported the screen size as 4.29" inches instead of 10.2", which throws me off. Anyone else had this happen as well?
Screen resolution shown in apps are accurate. The screen size is an estimated calculation based on resolution and DPI, and is generally not even close, especially for widescreen displays like yours.

Not sure about these units, but general 4GB/64GB with Octacore CPU is anywhere between 28 to 40k in the Indian market. Similar (or even better) units in Alibaba is around 300 USD for single unit, which comes down to as low as 160 USD when buying 1000+ units.

Last edited by ts1506 : 26th April 2021 at 19:04.
ts1506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 19:08   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts1506 View Post
Screen resolution shown in apps are accurate. The screen size is an estimated calculation based on resolution and DPI, and is generally not even close, especially for widescreen displays like yours.

Not sure about these units, but general 4GB/64GB with Octacore CPU is anywhere between 28 to 40k in the Indian market. Similar (or even better) units in Alibaba is around 300 USD for single unit, which comes down to as low as 160 USD when buying 1000+ units.
Great, thanks for clarifying my doubts. Any reliable dealers in Delhi/Chandigarh region for these units?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks