Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2021, 16:30   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata removes physical ICE buttons from Nexon

Baffling Decision.

Donot know the rationale behind this decision. But it would be very very strange of Tata Motors doing this in search for cost cutting on its succesful model which is having a strong run for last few years.

Agreed that usage of those buttons are low because of steering mounted controls, but you just can't keep on deleting the features which have low usage.
Old 3rd April 2021, 16:36   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP007 View Post
Was that really needed after the running success of the Nexon? Steering wheel controls may be an alternative, but what about XE and XM variants?
Opening post mentions that this feature deletion is applicable for XZ and above variants.
Old 3rd April 2021, 19:41   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Tata was just starting to make sense and this...Egronomics and car safety totally neglected.

Very very cheap method of cost cutting.

Car screens should NOT have any touch feature . Why penalize mobile use and put a bigger screen where you have too look sideways and stretch fwd to use !

Even if there are basic controls on wheel, car screen controls should be non-touch and egronomically placed around driver. Same true for touch AC controls . Haptic feedback is very reassuring.

Also screens popping out and blocking front view
should not be allowed. With such drop in screen prices all this should be part of front MID . Keep the speed and RPM needles and use the rest for music , ac etc

But as is with all technology , manufacturers slowly trickle out new stuff / ideas to keep the buyer engaged.

Suggestion: change drive mode rotary selector knob and use it for screen control.
Old 3rd April 2021, 20:32   #34
BHPian

Talk about taking good feedback negatively
This is truly a perfect case of over engineering. I don't know why car makers do such antics
Don't they use the cars themselves or we're the only ones who seem to suffer from this problem?
Old 3rd April 2021, 22:27   #35
BHPian

If the same buttons are already available on the steering, what difference does the removal make?

Can some real Nexon owners throw some light on this?
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 23:29   #36
BHPian

I own a Nexon XZ+. The controls on the dashboard are very useful, especially the volume control and seeker knobs. The touch screen response is not great, hence i end up using these dials a lot (when the vehicle is stationary). There is a dedicated phone button on the dash which brings up the call history etc while connected on BT. This is very easy to use while on the move. Another good thing is that, passenger can use these buttons to change tracks, as the touch screen is not very good. I use the power off button quite often as well.
knaveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 23:33   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Can some real Nexon owners throw some light on this?
I had posted above too. I drive a Nexon. I have never used those six buttons except the volume and startup when the car was new to me. Nowadays I use the steering buttons only. I don’t see the deletion as a big deal. I think it looks nice with a clean look overall.

Coming to the safety aspect, the driver doesn’t need to take his hands off the wheel now. But opinions may differ.
TorqMaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 05:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911CarerraS View Post
Talk about taking good feedback negatively
This is truly a perfect case of over engineering. I don't know why car makers do such antics
Don't they use the cars themselves or we're the only ones who seem to suffer from this problem?
I suppose this is more a case of cost cutting. Since they have lesser number of physical parts and assembly required.
Next target will be to reduce the surface area of the rear view mirrors .
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 06:31   #39
BHPian

I don't see a big deal here, have never used the buttons on my 2018 Nexon, excepting occasionally the on/off knob to switch the HU off. I use the stearing setup mainly.

My son does fiddle with it when he's a co-passenger
Vinod_nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 18:56   #40
BHPian

Well, this was not the need of the hour, I agree with the BHPians.

But I won't mind losing out on physical ICE buttons if the steering-mounted controls are available. I had rarely used the ICE buttons in the last 3 years of ownership, I rely completely on the steering mounted controls.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 09:09   #41

I find it very unsafe, compared to knobs.
i have a 2013 safari storme and a 2016 honda city.
after using the safari's knobs i get irritated to look at a display everytime i have to change the fan speed or the temperature. To be honest i think it wan a bad move considering knobs are easier to navigate
Sudskii is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 12:14   #42
BHPian

I seldom use the physical buttons for changing tracks, pause / play etc. I find the physical buttons kind of redundant when most of the frequently used functions are mounted on the steering itself.

Also, the deleted buttons are Home, Favourites, Previous / Next, Smartphone and back. No AC knobs are getting deleted. Except for volume knobs, not sure how many Nexon owners out there use these buttons effectively.
Mechanto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 16:14   #43
BHPian

Going for Full Touch screen can be distracting. The physical button can be operated even without seeing. The hands are practiced over a period of time and know the response once there is a movement (rotation/in-out etc) in the physical button.
Touch screen will require (eye) attention therefore can be more hazardous at high speed.

When it comes to TATA cars, reliability of electronics is more questionable than Mechanicals. Hope TATA QA Team has worked on this while removing Physical buttons.
Apex1815 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 12:34   #44
Senior - BHPian

Updated Tata Nexon reaches dealerships; loses ECON AC mode

Tata has started dispatching the updated Nexon to dealerships.

As part of the latest update, Tata has deleted the physical buttons and knobs on the centre console (XZ variant and above). These functions have now been integrated into the 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system.

Tata removes physical ICE buttons from Nexon-tata.jpg

Interestingly, Tata has also removed the economy mode for the air-conditioning system. As you can see in this image, the AC knob on the left no longer has the ECON button.

The knobs for the volume and tuner have also been removed, while the physical ICE buttons which were positioned just below the air-conditioning vents have now been replaced with 'Nexon' lettering.

Apart from the aforementioned updates, no mechanical changes are expected. The car will continue to use a 1.2-litre turbocharged petrol unit that produces 118 BHP and 170 Nm, and a 1.5-litre diesel that makes 108 BHP and 260 Nm. Transmission options include a 6-speed manual and 6-speed AMT.

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 12:55   #45
BHPian

Econ button anyways was useless as it didn't seem to make any difference in my tigor. Regarding physical buttons the tigor/Tiago never came with it in the first place , so Tata might have rationalised.

What is unacceptable is just 2 parking sensors on a car that crosses 10 L on road for most variants. Speak of arrogance. Pre facelift models across Tata range had 4 back sensors.
Nanolover is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks