Team-BHP - Portable Sub-woofer
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Portable Sub-woofer (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/23936-portable-sub-woofer.html)

Hey guys,

I have a question for you. See, I have a Maruti 800. Everyone knows that it practically doesnt have a boot. And I want to have a sub-woofer in my car. So.. What I plan to do is... I want to install a subwoofer in such a way that, I can take it out and keep in my house whenever I want to use the space and sound is not the priority. But when I want to have the sound I can just put the box in the back and plug it in so that I can have good quality sound with high bass.

Can I do that? IS it possible? I wanna keep it very simple too. Just a plug-in and its on. like that.

One more question, DO I need to install an amp as well, if i want to install sub-woofer?

Cheers,
Apurva.

Hey qqplus

Maruti 800 boot is little cramped and yes for better results you need a amp actually you need a amp i think sub won't work or perform until unless you have high end audio player..............

Yeah you can have a plug in plug out kind of box all you need is a male female detachable socket on the sub wires thats it nothing special you need...........

You can get these socket at the good car audio shop only.....:)

Hi qqplus!

I do understand perfectly well what you mean. Sometimes even with a big car, when i need to go to the airport, I remove my Subwoofer enclosure. It's easily doable.

Firstly, If you have a sub, you WILL need an amplifier, there's no getting around that bit.

Now for the 800, you will need a subwoofer in a box/tube. If you buy a readymade box/tube then you can detach the wires going to the box and that's that. HOWEVER if the 2 bare wires touch each other, your amp will blow up.
So to avoid that you can get some nice male female connectors. You can even use XLR male female connectors, these can be bought at your local electronics store. Remember, poor connectors will result in a poor connection, sooner or later.

If you are making an enclosure for your subwoofer, then the most IDEAL thing you can do is buy a speakon connector. Speakon is a trademark of Neutril, a company that makes fantastic pins and connectors. Though Neutril makes the best in that class, there are other good companies with similar speakon type connectors.
The Speakon has a receptacle that you can mount onto your woofer enclosure and the male side remains on the wire. It is a secure bayonet type connection link.

qqplus i had the same setup done in my car.. Just go ahead with male female connector. But be careful there are good / bad quality male female connectors. Some are desi white coloured ones which can easily bend and there are off white ones which are of good quality and works perfectly.

thanks bros...

ill look into. ill proly catch a local mechanic. talented one.

Apurva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 434651)
Speakon is a trademark of Neutril, a company that makes fantastic pins and connectors.

Make that Neutrik - linky.

Quote:

Speakon is a trademark of Neutril, a company that makes fantastic pins and connectors. Though Neutril makes the best in that class, there are other good companies with similar speakon type connectors..

Speakon is a TM of Neutrik

3rd party speakon connectors are available at a fraction of Neutrik cost

and lastly FYI though Neutrik does make fantastic pins (esp XLR, Speakon, etc..) WBT makes maybe the best RCA and speaker terminals.

For a moment i thought that you wnted to carry your sub to play it soemwhere... like a boom box.... lol:

I have a question to audio guru's here.

If the speaker/ woofer is removed, wont the player have a bad effect if there are no output?. Unless you use "fade" to front speaker?.

the sub is usually connected to an amp. the HU still sees the amp's impedance.

Hey Sam...

Was just going through the thread...

Quote:

If you buy a readymade box/tube then you can detach the wires going to the box and that's that. HOWEVER if the 2 bare wires touch each other, your amp will blow up.

This is something that i was not aware of...

Would take care of it next time...

stupid:

I have a Sub in my Alto which doesnt have space much bigger than the M800. Dont worry like other said itys possible to remove the Sub whenver you want to just get a plug & socket setup. Even I have done the same. Besides any car audio will do this for you as you will need also while removing your stepney.

I just saw my posts. lol I said Neutril twice!! comes of having the L next to the K and typing, lying down.

Yes it's neutrik (pronounced NOITRIK) my apologies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHIP (Post 434645)
Yeah you can have a plug in plug out kind of box all you need is a male female detachable socket on the sub wires thats it nothing special you need...........

Hey Chip, how about something special? Make a subwoofer box in the shape of the backrest, put some cusion on it and replace the backrest with it?? When bass notes hit, you really feel the thump, plus your boot also is saved. I think that is a bloody good design idea. What say?

If you've heard about Buttkicker subs that go under the seats in an HT, you know that I am not kidding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 435045)
I just saw my posts. lol I said Neutril twice!! comes of having the L next to the K and typing, lying down.

Yes it's neutrik (pronounced NOITRIK) my apologies.

So is that the second thing you are bad at doing while lying dowm? :p