Team-BHP - What is a condenser?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   What is a condenser? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/24546-what-condenser.html)

What is a condenser, wrt ICE? Binz's car has this annoying alternator whine, and we went down to this store to see if they could give us a quick-fix, but the guy said "Saab, condenser lagaana padega." I have no clue what that is. I hope you guys do. :)

with respect to ICE condenser is nothing but a capacitor.

Like vid said, he must have meant a capacitor.

But IMHO spending money on a Cap is a waste. Most power/noise problems can be traced to the wiring:

1) Bad quality power wiring (BOSS, usually)

2) Power wires run with RCA interconnects, causing noise to creep-in. This usually happens with RCAs with bad shielding. But even with the best quality RCAs and best quality power wires, and best quality speaker wires, I'd personally run the RCAs & speaker wires and the Power wires along different sides of the car. (RCAs and speaker wires can be run together).

3) Some mechanical problem with the alternator.

4) Some problem with the battery (from personal experience, EXIDE seems to cause this problem at times).

Most likely the problem will be fixed with the re-routing of power wires away from RCA & spkr wires. Else, instead for adding a Cap, I'd upgrade to better power & RCA wires. Cost will work to about the same.

Caps are usually needed to tide over sudden & huge power requirements made by amps powering subs, for eg. when an especially wicked bass note needs to be played. I don't think they will help with removing alternator whine.

Last resort, (only) if all else fails, you'll need to get a line-noise filter. Again a bit expensive, if you want the job done well.

Absolute last line of defense: A line-noise "masker" (and all other noise "masker") in the guise of a GF in the front seat. Yak, yak, yak. No more line noise :D

As hydra said, get the battery checked is it old or new. If the battery is old then that could be the reason of alternator whine.

The battery may not be charging properly.

The most common problem in loose ground connection. The grounding may not be proper causing the alternator whine.

Condenser is a also said as capacitor.....it is correct and here we are not talking of 1 farad which is used to keep the supply voltage of the car supply up....but the one we are discussing is used in conjunction of ground here to filterout the noise...

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r (Post 452520)
Binz's car has this annoying alternator whine

Pioneer HU ??

Just try grounding the RCA's / slots to the back of the HU with a copper wire.

Usually fixes the problem and its the last thing the shop guys will tell you to do (well until they hit ground in your pockets.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by s0uljah (Post 452591)
Pioneer HU ??

Just try grounding the RCA's / slots to the back of the HU with a copper wire.

Usually fixes the problem and its the last thing the shop guys will tell you to do (well until they hit ground in your pockets.)

Yep,Pio HU it is.Exactly what has to be grounded??

I have a pic of whats to be done, imageshack aint working though

edit : get on MSN

here what souljah posted few days ago...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/413720-post5726.html

here is the pic who are in a hurry to see it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by low_bass_makker (Post 452630)

Yes, most Pioneer HUs (even the expensive ones costing 50k and above) have this problem. Do ground your RCA grounds to your chassis and the noise will be reduced / eliminated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunbir (Post 452774)
Yes, most Pioneer HUs (even the expensive ones costing 50k and above) have this problem. Do ground your RCA grounds to your chassis and the noise will be reduced / eliminated.

hi,

i had the same problem wit my pio HU. i also did the same thing . the noise was totally eliminated. i inserted a 1 rupee coin in between the stereo chassis and the rca input.lol. after some time i got my hu repaired.

cheers

I have heard it is with most of the pioneer HU....but I have used nearly 5-6 HU personally and I have faced this problem in a single one.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by low_bass_makker (Post 452920)
I have heard it is with most of the pioneer HU....but I have used nearly 5-6 HU personally and I have faced this problem in a single one.....

HI,

this usually happens when the rca leads connected to the hu come in contact with the ground of the vehicle when the HU is on. when this happens, a tiny fuse on the main board gives way. well this thing happened with me. dont know about others.

cheers
clip

Quote:

Originally Posted by clipto333 (Post 453004)
this usually happens when the rca leads connected to the hu come in contact with the ground of the vehicle when the HU is on. when this happens, a tiny fuse on the main board gives way. well this thing happened with me. dont know about others

Not the fuse I would assume the track on the PCB (printed circuit board) of the HU

Quote:

Originally Posted by clipto333 (Post 453004)
HI,

this usually happens when the rca leads connected to the hu come in contact with the ground of the vehicle when the HU is on. when this happens, a tiny fuse on the main board gives way. well this thing happened with me. dont know about others.

cheers
clip

I thought so too till recently, and of course all precautions were taken, but when we installed a high end Pioneer unit straight out of the box, it had the same problem.