Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2009, 16:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
When the box is very small mounting the woofer reverse can help by increasing the effective box volume (lowering Qtc).
Navinji, does the same hold true in case the shape of the enclosure has also changed?

I was previously running the GZ sub in normal position, in a wedge shaped MDF box (1.3 cuft vol). Now the enclosure is a slim, elongated rectangular one (basically just for testing purpose) which is of almost the same volume.

Also, this time I have wired the sub in a reverse phase which, to my ears, makes the bass blend better with the front sound stage. Does this also have an effect on the bass vs. normal phase wiring?
Old 22nd May 2009, 16:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

I use to mount my subs let's say 10-12 years back. At those time people never understood why I would wanna do that. Exposing the coil and others to the dusty environment. But there was one thing I noticed was it there was mild difference in bass where it would sound little more deeper and would gel well with the comps. I tried this in both sealed as well as in a ported enclosure. Best I could notice the difference was in a ported enclosure where it sounded slightly more deeper and smooth. I had this setup in the Blaupunkt SQ competition in a ported enclosure and it worked well for me.
Old 23rd May 2009, 15:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Best I could notice the difference was in a ported enclosure where it sounded slightly more deeper and smooth. I had this setup in the Blaupunkt SQ competition in a ported enclosure and it worked well for me.
Maybe you noticed that the car which won the SQ competition in the professional category also had an inverted mounted subwoofer. It was done that way to increase the available enclosure volume.
Old 24th May 2009, 02:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Maybe you noticed that the car which won the SQ competition in the professional category also had an inverted mounted subwoofer. It was done that way to increase the available enclosure volume.
Am sure. No two doubts about it
Old 24th May 2009, 09:25   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Navinji, does the same hold true in case the shape of the enclosure has also changed?

Also, this time I have wired the sub in a reverse phase which, to my ears, makes the bass blend better with the front sound stage. Does this also have an effect on the bass vs. normal phase wiring?
The shape of the box does not make a difference within reason (for example you need some minimum space behind the woofer or the reflection from the rear wall of teh box can distort the woofer's output.

Phase is often experimental. One needs to try out which way the woofer better integrates with the midbass. Many HUs today have a phase switch so this can often be done from inside the cabin.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks