Android Auto 105 37.77%
Apple CarPlay 166 59.71%
Other 7 2.52%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2022, 11:32   #46
BHPian

Re: Android Auto versus Apple CarPlay

I have Android phone and my wife uses iPhone so I have used both extensively and just like the phones, here also Apple beats Android in terms of smoothness and reliability. Apple car play simply feels much more natural to use than android auto, even the wireless functionality works better.
Old 26th May 2022, 20:39   #47
BHPian

Request which HU you have. Wanted to buy one for Rapid but unable to find a good one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Voted for others - I prefer a Android HU with wireless Apple car play. I have got a 4*64 GB aftermarket one for Octavia and the unit is very slick. The benefit is it gives the versatility of a tablet and you can download whatever apps you need.
Old 26th May 2022, 21:05   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulerianeeraj View Post
Request which HU you have. Wanted to buy one for Rapid but unable to find a good one.
I got one from Evo Bangalore, its marketed under their brand as Evo Fit.

You can check this video, its review of my car install

sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 01:48   #49

During the WWDC 2022, Apple announced some ground-changing updates to the Apple Carplay.

It now comes with the ability to control all the screens in the vehicle including the instrument cluster LCD display.

Apple Carplay will now also be able to control many vehicle settings such as (HVAC), Ventilated seats, etc. without having to leave the Carplay.

Multiple designs/layouts for the instrument cluster including full navigation support

Supported cars will start rolling out in 2023.

Related video:

IMO, this is a huge step forward in the right direction. With more and more manufacturers providing large and dumb digital cockpit displays, with no more information than a traditional analog setup, the new update is definitely a breath of fresh air.
SirJeepsALot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 14:37   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJeepsALot View Post
During the WWDC 2022, Apple announced some ground-changing updates to the Apple Carplay.

It now comes with the ability to control all the screens in the vehicle including the instrument cluster LCD display.

Apple Carplay will now also be able to control many vehicle settings such as (HVAC), Ventilated seats, etc. without having to leave the Carplay.

IMO, this is a huge step forward in the right direction. With more and more manufacturers providing large and dumb digital cockpit displays, with no more information than a traditional analog setup, the new update is definitely a breath of fresh air.
It could also mean that you could decide to see the same interface in all cars ? There could be some differences based on screen size and information available over some custom interface in addition to CANBUS.

There could be some standard which apple and car makers will arrive on related to screen types and what information will go on what type (instrument, media-infotainment etc)

Now we can expect google to copy the same !
Old 6th July 2022, 16:11   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I finally switched to Blaupunkt “San Andreas”
Hi Comrade, I am considering this unit for my CR-V. Can you please share your feedback on it? Thanks in advance.

P.S. Sorry mods for going off-topic.
Old 6th July 2022, 20:35   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpthy View Post
Can you please share your feedback on it?
Hi mpthy. Here are briefly my positives and negatives based on my usage so far.

Positives
  • Shape is same as android radios. So you don’t need to worry about finding/sourcing frame/bezel. It should be easily available. Would give OEM look compared to double din radios
  • Native wireless carplay and wireless android auto support.
  • No lag or crashing (so far) while using google maps in both android auto and carplay.
  • Touchscreen is responsive and UI (Linux I think) is fluid
  • Sound quality is much better than android stereos in all modes but specifically, FM radio and Bluetooth
  • FM Radio reception is much better than android radio
  • Boot times are very low (about 5 secs)
  • inbuilt mic in front fascia is of higher quality than my previous android radio. Phone calls are no longer a issue like android radio
  • rearview camera starts working even if radio is still booting helping you to reverse.

Negatives
  • Protective/top layer on touchscreen is cheap plastic and not glass. It is easily scratch prone. I put a protective film (available on amazon) within a week but already have lot of fine hairline scratches. I would recommend putting a film during installation.
  • Screen will be washed out in direct sunlight. I haven't faced this issue in Hyderabad but faced issue during bright sunlight in Ladakh. It has not been a deal breaker as even iphone faces same challenge in direct sunlight. I wish screen had higher brightness (nits) but I guess that would increase the cost/price.

Overall, I would definitely recommend the stereo or atleast a demo at your nearest car accessory store. Please let me know if you have specific questions.
Comrade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 14:51   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Overall, I would definitely recommend the stereo or atleast a demo at your nearest car accessory store.
Thank you very much. This is very helpful. Rather than an Android unit, my point of reference is the OEM unit which Honda calls the "AVN". I have two questions regarding this unit:

1. I know it is subjective, but is the sound quality comparable to a "typical" OEM unit or better?

2. How stable is the wireless connection for Android Auto or Apple Carplay?
Old 7th July 2022, 15:30   #54
BHPian

Quote:
1. I know it is subjective, but is the sound quality comparable to a "typical" OEM unit or better?
Disclaimer: I am not an audiophile by any stretch.

I would say It is slightly better than a typical OEM unit in that it has 10 band EQ that really works. I was able change sound profile to my liking (little more bass etc.) Also, there is no clipping or distortion on increasing the volume to say ‘more-than-usual’ hearing db levels.

Quote:
2. How stable is the wireless connection for Android Auto or Apple Carplay?
It is very stable without any issues. It automatically connects on entering the car, and stays connected, even when driving continuously for 4-5 hours.
Comrade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 15:52   #55
BHPian

Quote:
I would say It is slightly better than a typical OEM unit
Thanks again. Your feedback has given me enough confidence to move ahead with this unit. Really appreciated!
mpthy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2023, 11:08   #56
BHPian

AA throws up audible notifications even when phone is in silent mode. WhatsApp notifications in particular is the most annoying. I've set notifications to none in settings for AA but those many many beeps from notifications other than maps while driving just won't stop.

How to get around this ?
Old 25th April 2023, 23:27   #57
BHPian

In my quest for Wireless Android Auto head unit and wanting to avoid cheaper ones running Android natively, got a Pioneer BT 5450 HU. Have been using it for about 4 months now with Android. Quite stable and works really well with my Android device. No crashes so far. Tested a few times with iPhone too and supports that too. It's new enough that not all shops will have it. And one installer even tried to convince me that this was not wireless unit :-). Anyway I managed to get it installed from a different one. Works well with my steering controls and changes mode to dark mode when I turn on the lights

Android Auto versus Apple CarPlay-gv2.jpg

Android Auto versus Apple CarPlay-5450bt.jpg
joshiviv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 11:50   #58

Quote:
Disclaimer: I am not an audiophile by any stretch.

I would say It is slightly better than a typical OEM unit in that it has 10 band EQ that really works. I was able change sound profile to my liking (little more bass etc.)
Can you please share your equalizer settings, I am trying to figure out a good setting on my San Andreas 970, but no good results till now.
Old 10th August 2023, 10:42   #59
BANNED

Though Apple car play is better than Android auto in terms of look, feel and performance, I really don’t think it makes sense to upgrade to an Apple iPhone just for the sake of Apple Car play!
Old 22nd August 2023, 00:06   #60
Senior - BHPian

I have started having troubles with the wired CarPlay since many months now.

Phone: iPhone 11
Car: S-Cross with Smartplay Studio 7” display.
Frequency: 1 in 3 highway drives
Result: Either use navigation without music or play music via bluetooth and skip navigation.

The main issue is many apps going unresponsive, mainly the music apps. Almost all music apps become unresponsive in such situation.

Here, the app plays music but no sound can be heard from the speakers. Sometimes, even the track can not be changed. Disconnecting the cable and restarting the CarPlay has no effect. Initially, restarting the phone worked. But it is not worth the effort so never tested it again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks