Android Auto 105 37.50%
Apple CarPlay 168 60.00%
Other 7 2.50%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2022, 08:43   #1
BHPian

Android Auto versus Apple CarPlay

A lot of new cars come bundled with Android Auto and/or Car Play so fitting an after market unit like Sony/Blaupunkt is not a desirable option. Wanted to see what folks experience was with Android Auto or Carplay coming with their cars. I am an Android user and would not really like to change my phone but would also like to hear if CarPlay is compelling enough to change over to iOS.

Similarly wanted to seek opinion on aftermarket units, if I do need to change the HU. I could just start off with a Sony HU in my old car and move it to the new car whenever I buy one.
joshiviv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 09:05   #2
BHPian

re: Android Auto versus Apple CarPlay

I’ve been an Apple ecosystem user for ages now and hence CarPlay over AA. I’d suggest you choose a HU that is both AA and CarPlay compatible. Sony and Pioneer have the same. Blaupunkt models are mostly AA + MirrorLink based.
GreyNomad is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 09:23   #3
BHPian

Not all android phones support android auto, especially wireless.

Carplay will definitely be more seamless.

However my choice, for aftermarket, would be to go for an Android system. There are many that support a sim card as well.

This makes your phone redundant ( unless you want to connect via Bluetooth to take calls which I don't recommend) and is a lot more easier to use when it comes to navigation or music since it is literally just a tab fitted to your dashboard.

Only issue is that you don't get these in the well established brands and have to go for the Chinese imports like Woodman.
anandhsub is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 09:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshiviv View Post
Wanted to see what folks experience was with Android Auto or Carplay coming with their cars. I am an Android user and would not really like to change my phone but would also like to hear if CarPlay is compelling enough to change over to iOS
In almost all cars (typically mid or top variant) that roll off the production floor nowadays with an in-built HU, they will have both - Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. As long as your phone supports either of them, you should be good.
The performance is at par in terms of the app (music, navigation, phone etc.) integration- for both the competing tech. Even Google Maps, a predominant Android feature of the yesteryears, works seamlessly on CarPlay.

So I see no reason to switch your phone between Android/iOS just because of the HU having Android Auto/CarPlay.

Last edited by JoshMachine : 23rd May 2022 at 09:42.
JoshMachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 10:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Have used Android Auto on a Oneplus 5 and Carplay with an iPhone 11. Both are sensitive to cables used.

Both have connection quirks, plug them before the HU boots up and have had connection issues with both.

I chose Carplay for 2 reasons:

1. Siri works almost all the time. Google Assistant has never worked for me.
2. The Carplay layout (of recent 3 apps) is more usable over the Android Auto layout.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 10:09   #6
BHPian

Both works fine. Use whichever is compatible with your phone.

Carplay users: Is it possible to make Google maps as default navigation ?
attinder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 10:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is a proxy - Android vs IoS poll.

Redundant in my view.
2000rpm is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 10:46   #8
BHPian

Thanks JoshMachine. My concern is with long term ownership experience. All HUs will support both these out of the box but not sure of any compatibility issues etc especially as devices get updates and upgrades etc. Have seen some ownership reports of HUs being inconsistent with support or stop working consistently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
In almost all cars (typically mid or top variant) that roll off the production floor nowadays with an in-built HU, they will have both - Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. As long as your phone supports either of them, you should be good.
The performance is at par in terms of the app (music, navigation, phone etc.) integration- for both the competing tech. Even Google Maps, a predominant Android feature of the yesteryears, works seamlessly on CarPlay.

So I see no reason to switch your phone between Android/iOS just because of the HU having Android Auto/CarPlay.
Old 23rd May 2022, 11:35   #9
BHPian

Isn't this thread kind of irrelevant? Those who own Android will use AA, and Apple users will use CarPlay.
A more relevant thread of Android v Apple already exists IIRC.
GrandTourer is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 11:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Isn't this thread kind of irrelevant? Those who own Android will use AA, and Apple users will use CarPlay.
A more relevant thread of Android v Apple already exists IIRC.
Many iPhone users also have an android device (either with them or with family).

Those who have access to both can vouch for the excellent experience with CarPlay which is much better than Android auto. The current poll results show around 62% votes for CarPlay but I speculate that around 90-95% of those who have access to both must have voted for CarPlay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshiviv View Post
I am an Android user and would not really like to change my phone but would also like to hear if CarPlay is compelling enough to change over to iOS.
Absolutely. You may consider buying an iPhone as a car accessory just like audio system upgrades. CarPlay is miles ahead of android auto in terms of user experience.

I have an iPhone 11 and a Xiaomi MiA3. Sometimes I need to connect MiA3 and use Android Auto as my iPhone is mounted for video recordings (so music wont play if iPhone is connected to the HU). The overall experience becomes sub par with Android Auto. I end up using MiA3 as DVR and iPhone for CarPlay most of the times.
PaddleShifter is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 12:13   #11
Team-BHP Support

I have used both the systems extensively including a rooted Android device for unlocking some additional functionalities on the system and will vouch for CarPlay.

CarPlay interface feels familiar to iPhone users, is a lot more smoother and lag-free, voice commands work well (call XYZ, redial, resume music, send a message to ABC over WhatsApp etc. are some I frequently use whilst driving). I also love CarPlay’s dashboard with the split-screen setup which displays a map and music side-by-side.

On the downside, you have a limited set of apps for CarPlay and no customized apps like a TPMS app developed by a vendor for the system. While using Google Maps in CarPlay, you cannot select the alternate route by selecting the greyed out route Google Maps; instead you have to go to the route options and tap the one you prefer. This is counter-intuitive!

After the recent Google I/O 2022 event however, I believe Android Auto is slated for a lot of updates and improvements including watching Youtube while parking brake is engaged, casting from the phone etc.
Gannu_1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 13:58   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Auto versus Apple CarPlay

Mod Note: This thread can continue, as it is specifically about Android Auto vs Apple CarPlay, and not the smartphone OS. Thanks.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 14:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by attinder View Post
Carplay users: Is it possible to make Google maps as default navigation ?
Not sure about this but in my Nios, if my iPhone is connected via USB Cable and if I am on the Hyundai default screen where radio is playing, on the right side of the screen, I get options of "Carplay" and "Maps" and clicking "Maps" takes me to google maps and not apple maps.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 14:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Auto or Car Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by attinder View Post
Is it possible to make Google maps as default navigation ?
Change in default apps is not a feature on both ecosystems. Both do allow last used apps.

If you've used Google Maps last time. It will use Google Maps on the next attempt. Same with music. If you used Apple Music, it'll continue to use Apple Music.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 14:45   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Many iPhone users also have an android device (either with them or with family).
I am one of those users who sails with his feet in 2 boats. I use both Android and Apple devices. Android is my work phone and Apple is my personal phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Absolutely. You may consider buying an iPhone as a car accessory just like audio system upgrades. CarPlay is miles ahead of android auto in terms of user experience.
Personally, I prefer the Carplay over Android Auto. Plain simple, Apple car play is a lot more responsive, fluid and easy to use. Android auto on the other hand offers too many features but you end up using very few. This overload of features makes it so bulky that it mars the entire experience of using it while in the car.

My experience based on Pioneer Headunits (DMH-Z5290BT and AVH5190BT) using iPhone XR for Carplay and Oneplus 3, Redmi Note 9 Pro Max for Android Auto.
normaltusker is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks