Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2022, 14:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Octavia L&K loses 11 speaker + subwoofer Canton sound system

Thanks to Rajwin Patel for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
Hi Team-BHP,

I recently bought a Skoda Octavia on October 5th, 2022. There are a few issues I would like your insight on. There are a few features missing in my car, compared to a test drive car.

1. Sound Settings. The test drive car had very detailed sound system settings.

Skoda Octavia L&K loses 11 speaker + subwoofer Canton sound system-skodaoctavia1.png

And my car only has the basic setting. (below picture).

Skoda Octavia L&K loses 11 speaker + subwoofer Canton sound system-skodaoctavia2.png

2. The test drive car displayed an eco sign in the instrument cluster. Something like the picture below & I don't have this display feature in my car.

Skoda Octavia L&K loses 11 speaker + subwoofer Canton sound system-skodaoctavia3.png

Could you & team bhp members throw some light on this and help me figure out the reason for this?
RahulNagaraj is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 14:38   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Skoda Octavia L&K loses 11 speaker + subwoofer Canton sound system

The 11 speaker and 1 subwoofer 610W CANTON system has been removed from the Octavia L&K, now the L&K gets the same 8 speaker system as the one available in the Style trim.

Hence the basic settings are visible on the infotainment screen

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 23rd October 2022 at 14:45.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 16:57   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
The 11 speaker and 1 subwoofer 610W CANTON system has been removed from the Octavia L&K, now the L&K gets the same 8 speaker system as the one available in the Style trim.
That's a bummer. The rocking stereo has been specifically picked out as a stand out feature in the Octavia. Have they cut prices then? Or is this the price we pay for inflation/shortages?

Last edited by GTO : 26th October 2022 at 11:59. Reason: Octy = Octavia
nakul0888 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 18:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Have they cut prices then ? Or is this the price we pay for inflation/shortages?
Prices have remained the same. I recently checked out the Octavia again and when I asked upon the reason for removal of the Canton system I was told because customer feedback was that 'it was hanging' the infotainment system.
I think its either silicon shortage removal(more so an issue for VAG than others at this point) or simply a margin increase on the L&K.
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 18:18   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why would they do that?

To me, that banging music system is one of the defining feature of the L&K badge.
DicKy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 18:43   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Aghast at reading this news! That sound system is one of the main reasons we chose the L&K Superb over the Sportline (which looked hotter in that blue shade with black rims).

Manufacturers are having a field day. Remove features, raise prices, blame it all on chip shortage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I asked upon the reason for removal of the Canton system I was told because customer feedback was that 'it was hanging' the infotainment system.
He is blatantly lying. Almost 2 years with the system and not once has it hung up in our Superb L&K.
GTO is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 19:01   #7
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Octavia L&K loses 11 speaker + subwoofer Canton sound system

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Manufacturers are having a field day. Remove features, raise prices, blame it all on chip shortage.
Do you really believe this?

I know many automobile CEOs are constantly talking about chip shortages and even simple chips like the Raspberry Pi compute modules are in short supply but the chips used for automobiles, DSPs, and RPis aren't super-sophisticated requiring the latest technology.
navin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 19:51   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
That's a bummer. The rocking stereo has been specifically picked out as a stand out feature in the Octy. Have they cut prices then ? Or is this the price we pay for inflation/shortages?
No price cut buddy, rather a price hike in September if you consider the CANTON system was deleted from Octavia’s assembled August onwards!

Although dealerships are stating chip shortages as the reason, I don’t believe the BS, as we have already seen the 10.25 inch touchscreen in the Kushaq has made a comeback albeit in the Anniversary Edition. And they have already added the digital cockpit, which must be needing the extra chip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
To me, that banging music system is one of the defining feature of the L&K badge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Aghast at reading this news! That sound system is one of the main reasons we chose the L&K Superb over the Sportline (which looked hotter in that blue shade with black rims).
The CANTON system was deleted August onwards itself, so I’m surprised many people are just getting to know about it now

Adding the link to when this deletion was first mentioned in the forum:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5394607 (Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review)

Quote:
Absolutely true! These are just games being played by manufacturers.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 23rd October 2022 at 19:55.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 00:44   #9

I am hearing rumors that the Canton could be removed from the superb as well. Got this information from a local dealer and also a post on TBHP (on Kodiaq review).

Since Kodiaq is set to continue in 2023 and Octavia, Superb are getting discontinued by Q1- 2023, this sounds like a move to increase the margin on these models as much as possible.

Despite Chip shortage, How does the same system available at Kodiaq .

I had to cancel my booking as the current L&K doesn't justify the price when compared to the style.

I hope Skoda would atleast revise the pricing for this missing feature, like it handled a similar issue at Australia region.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th October 2022 at 01:41. Reason: Typos.
konguraajaa is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 11:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Thanks to Rajwin Patel for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!
The eco mode on the dash seems new (not seen this in my Dec'21 L&K)
Any idea what functionality does it indicate?
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 16:02   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by konguraajaa View Post
I am hearing rumors that the Canton could be removed from the Superb as well. Got this information from a local dealer and also a post on TBHP (on Kodiaq review).
Yep I had posted on that thread as when I booked the L&K Kodiaq earlier this month, the SA mentioned it was removed from Octavia but will continue in the Kodiaq, MY 23 including. I had to triple check this before cutting him a check. It's a shame Skoda deleted such an USP of the vehicle. The international forums cite the chip shortage too but in those markets, Skoda seem to credit the users back with some $1200 or so. Only in a market like India they don't really care about such gestures. Speaks about our consumer rights or lack thereof.

Last edited by GTO : 26th October 2022 at 11:57. Reason: Octy = Octavia
vjbox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 17:12   #12
BHPian

We are expecting too much from Skoda - respect, that too for "Indians" ! The VAG group has never really respected the Indian customer. Look at their response to someone who's brand new slavia ( and no outside accessories installed ) caught fire in the middle of the night.

Skoda Octavia L&K loses 11 speaker + subwoofer Canton sound system-image_20221025_171157545.png

Last edited by aah78 : 25th October 2022 at 17:51. Reason: Image inserted in-line.
akg7091 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 20:10   #13

These days consumers are at the double disadvantage. Companies got a nice excuse "chip shortage" either to hike the price or removal of features or long delivery timeline which in turn use to exploit the consumers.
Old 27th October 2022, 16:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
We are expecting too much from Skoda - respect, that too for "Indians" ! The VAG group has never really respected the Indian customer. Look at their response to someone who's brand new slavia ( and no outside accessories installed ) caught fire in the middle of the night.

Attachment 2371746
Just for your information, the car was replaced by skoda with a new car.

In any case it is off topic for this thread.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.car...d-new-car/amp/

That said features shown in test drive car if not present in the delivered car amounts to cheating on the dealer's part. The dealer has to be transparent. If Skoda hasn't released a press note about feature deletion then Skoda is also at fault.

I think feature deletion is due to inflationary pressures. I am not sure if chip shortage is still a reality or not in late 2022.
Old 27th October 2022, 16:42   #15
BHPian

Skoda didn't really do much to help the customer. They just expedited delivery of the new car and helped with the insurance claim AFTER the issue went viral. If Skoda had replaced without the insurance payout / before the video went viral then their actions are worthy of praise. But in this case they showed their true colors, atleast in my limited opinion.

Edit : And mocking a customer on email instead of helping ! That too from the so called head of communications at the HQ

Last edited by akg7091 : 27th October 2022 at 16:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks