Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2022, 10:27   #1
BHPian

Coolwalk update to Android Auto

Greetings fellow BHPians,

I have been waiting for the Coolwalk update in Android Auto which Google announced back in June 2022.

What is Coolwalk? why was it the hype back in June?

Coolwalk update is going to revamp the interface of Android Auto, bringing in the much-missed split-screen function, wherein you can customize the menu to show multiple screens simultaneously. Similar to the display shown in Apple Car Play. However, what is interesting to note here is that Google has developed the Coolwalk update in such a manner, that it will work in the Infotainment system of any size placed in any manner i.e. Horizontal or Vertical. The aspect ratio can be set by the user based on his needs and requirement.

It is worthwhile to note that the release timeline set by google was the end of Summer 2022.

In September AA received an update to version 8.2, wherein some developers found the files for Coolwalk update.

Version 8.5 Beta has officially brought the Coolwalk updates to the devices of Beta Testers. (It is a server-side update rather than an application-based update i.e. just by downloading the beta application, you will not receive the Coolwalk update). This time there are some Beta Testers who do not have access to the Coolwalk design UI, it is enabled for some users via their linked google account.

Beta Testing is full for Android Auto Currently

Attached herein are some videos and photos of how it looks on different cars
and some videos of the interface I found on Youtube.

Would love to hear the opinions of BHPians who have access to the Coolwalk update.

Happy Motoring!!
Attached Images

_Piyush_ is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 10:25   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Coolwalk update to Android Auto

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the ICE section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 22:51   #3
BHPian

Have been using the beta version for quite some time, not really sure when I received the update since I haven't driven the car in a long time but was pleasantly surprised to notice the changes in UI today.

Happy to report that the redesign has really improved practicality by miles. The new dock and split-screen are so intuitive to use, makes switching apps so much more easier when on the move. Would also like to add that my Baleno has the older Bosch SLDA system(7") and even with the small-ish display, the new update looks fab. Overall, I like the new card-heavy design and it seems to work just as well as it did before, no crashes or lag experienced yet. Good job Google!!

For further reference, I am using a OnePlus 9(Android 13) with Android Auto ver. 13.0.0.473912301.

Coolwalk update to Android Auto-img_20221116_223433.jpg

Coolwalk update to Android Auto-img_20221116_223505.jpg

EDIT: https://9to5google.com/2022/11/16/an...-beta-program/

Quote:
However, there is a quick way to join the Android Auto beta program. Using a direct link to the Android Auto beta testing page allows you to “Become a tester” immediately, so long as the program doesn’t reach its maximum capacity yet again. Once you’ve joined the program, you’ll see an update to the latest Android Auto beta through the Play Store, and should see “Coolwalk” not long after.
Apparently, new slots have opened up for those who wish to join the Beta program. Use this link to apply or just visit the above URL.

Last edited by MotoBlip : 16th November 2022 at 23:01.
MotoBlip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 23:42   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Will this update, when it lands, be able to use the full screen in, say, a hector?
Old 17th November 2022, 11:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBlip View Post
Have been using the beta version for quite some time, not really sure when I received the update since I haven't driven the car in a long time but was pleasantly surprised to notice the changes in UI today.

For further reference, I am using a OnePlus 9(Android 13) with Android Auto ver. 13.0.0.473912301.

Attachment 2380205

Attachment 2380206

EDIT: https://9to5google.com/2022/11/16/an...-beta-program/

Apparently, new slots have opened up for those who wish to join the Beta program. Use this link to apply or just visit the above URL.
It is good to hear the views of another BHPian on the Coolwalk Update. Waiting to get my hands on the same.
Just visited the URL, Unfortunately, it is still displaying the message that slots for the beta are full. I guess in 12 hours all the additional slots got full again.
Old 17th November 2022, 13:14   #6
BHPian

Since they announced this I've been trying to get it working. There was a root method but I didn't want to go down that path!

Recently I even downloaded the beta apk but sadly was not able to get coolwalk working... I'm keeping an eye on the beta link.. But it seems full for us here in India.

Hope I can try it soon as android auto is something I use a few hours per day , can't wait to see how nice it will look on my Virtus
vividhavasthi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 14:00   #7
BHPian

I managed to secure a beta spot and get the update. This is how it looks on the wide screen of XUV700. I haven't had a chance to use it after the update thanks to WFH. May use it over the next week though and that's when I would be better placed to talk about how it performs. One thing i tried changing was the placement of the widget bar. It seems to stick to the right and does not move to the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Coolwalk update to Android Auto-whatsapp-image-20221117-2.00.10-pm.jpeg  

normaltusker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 19:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividhavasthi View Post
Since they announced this I've been trying to get it working. There was a root method but I didn't want to go down that path!

Recently I even downloaded the beta apk but sadly was not able to get coolwalk working... I'm keeping an eye on the beta link.. But it seems full for us here in India.
Google released a server side update so even many beta testers have not got access to coolwalk. Downloading the beta apk won't work this time.
Old 18th November 2022, 12:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Got my coolwalk update. Read on some website about the Beta program, clicked on it and I got in. Just like that.
using it on my Sony XAV 5000 HU. Looks good, feels fresh but the Novelty wears off rapidly. Perhaps it is screen size dependent but I am not able to get the shortcut rail to the side.
Frankly, since I have to wire-connect it all the time, I don't really use Android Auto. Will see if I notice anything noteworthy more I use.

Coolwalk update to Android Auto-20221118_082908.jpg

Last edited by 14000rpm : 18th November 2022 at 12:16.
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks