Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2007, 13:29   #31
Team-BHP Support

I've rarely liked the sound of Band pass subs.
Old 9th July 2007, 22:52   #32
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys, especially sam, lbm, navin, deralte and tsk1979 you guys helped me a lot in making the right decision and clearing all my doubts would really like to appreciate your patience.

Keep it up guys cheers:

Bye,
Vijay
Old 10th July 2007, 02:35   #33
BHPian

More and more i try to study about car audio and installation i keep getting some or the other doubts and as usual i get confused, pls help me clear these doubts guys.....

First of all let me make it clear that i am not referring to demo cars which i know need a lot of current to power those massive amps and subs and what not... I am referring to the kind of audio installs which we have in our cars.

In some posts in this forum i have read that they have increased the capacity of the battery or have added additional battery or they have added capacitors to support their audio installs. So...

Why is a capacitor used in a car audio system??

Why is a battery upgrade or additional battery necessary in some kind of car audio installs??

Thanks in advance,
Vijay
Old 10th July 2007, 10:05   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_k View Post
Why is a capacitor used in a car audio system??

Why is a battery upgrade or additional battery necessary in some kind of car audio installs??
1. To make some people rich, lord knows that most manuacturers are not making enough. Caps at best will give you an extended headroom or a few milliseconds. Good power cables of adequate gauge is a better place to invest your money.

2. additional batteries require "battery isolators" and such so lets not een go there. usually a high amp battery will ensure that you can start the car the next morning even if it has been loaded. If you use your ICE only when the alternator is running, if your alternator can provide enough current for the amps and the HU (along with lights and Air con), and if the wires that connect the battery to your ICE etc are of adequate size and in good condition you dont need a bigger battery or any cap.
Old 10th July 2007, 14:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

very right navin, given vijay's set up.....even if he installs one 601.1 and one 75.4, he would NOT need a cap; he would require good wiring though!!

i was also using 1/2 farad audiobahn cap with one Pio 6100 and one 301.1; by chance it fell down once and i cdnt refix it....system is running perfectly fine without the cap.

gunman (gunbir) has witnessed few high end installations with bigger and better stuff without cap. he might like to comment.
Old 10th July 2007, 14:35   #36
Senior - BHPian

even my small setup is running fine without a cap..here are the details..

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2277199/1
Old 10th July 2007, 15:47   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2277199/1

small by what? equipment wise/sound wise/money wise????

but a clear indication that small setups like these even can run without a cap!!
Old 10th July 2007, 16:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
small by what? equipment wise/sound wise/money wise????
Small output wise. LBM finds the db output of his system apalling, hence the comment. I, on the other hand have no opinions about it & would also not like to test the system's capability.
Old 10th July 2007, 23:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
What do you mean by small setup ??
Old 11th July 2007, 00:40   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh come on mugen, it's just his lame attempt at humility

He's trying to say that even his system runs fine without a cap.
Old 11th July 2007, 09:29   #41
Senior - BHPian

Kitna pyar hai bhaiyon mein, hai na? Aankein nam ho gaeen meri!

Bhai logo, why you be trying to put cap manufacturers out of business, haain? If there can be "Fair and handsome" for men, anything goes. Caps are at least technically correct - any small improvement in peak handling is mathematically greater than 0% improvement, ja?

To put the point in perspective, just look at the sub demo setups at any Car Audio joint: since they use 230VAC-based relatively-unregulated power supplies (no battery) to power the sub amp, did you notice how the LEDs on the amps dance with music? Those LEDs are not meant to do that if the amp power supply has a battery / cap in the circuit. The fact that the sub is sounding loud enough prevents one from noticing that, or even the distortion due to the power supply dipping.

Last edited by DerAlte : 11th July 2007 at 09:30.
Old 11th July 2007, 10:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

There was this nice and informative post on capacitors that Sam had written a while back, on a lonely saturday night: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...mono-amps.html

Post #2 and further.

For posts like these, Sam, you may have a few of us here wishing you had more saturday nights with ummm... nothing to do.
Old 11th July 2007, 11:55   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
For posts like these, Sam, you may have a few of us here wishing you had more saturday nights
if you are spending your saturday nights (or for that matter early sunday mornings) on ICE be warned you'll end up like me.
Old 11th July 2007, 12:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
There was this nice and informative post on capacitors that Sam had written a while back, on a lonely saturday night:
It was a nice read indeed!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks