Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2007, 11:10   #1
BHPian

frankly if one is investing in such expensive hardware it makes no sense in using inferior software such as Mp3...Vica Versa --If your choice of music is mp3's its really a waste of money in investing in expensive ICE..my 2 cents..
Old 13th July 2007, 11:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
frankly if one is investing in such expensive hardware it makes no sense in using inferior software such as Mp3...Vica Versa --If your choice of music is mp3's its really a waste of money in investing in expensive ICE..my 2 cents..
I am not saying MP3 is a good format.

But having a MP3 support is a good thing.

It is my opinion and I am not forcing it to anyone.

I am asking for MP3 support due to convenience of large number of tracks on a single disc.

Also while the car is running I think it will be a quite difficult or I would say it will be impossible to tell the difference between the Audio CD and a good 320 bit rate MP3 playing when there is road noise , outside ambient noise and lots of other noises to disturb the whole listening environment.
Old 13th July 2007, 11:33   #3
BHPian

my point is that if you are spending 40K+ on a HU.... the extra money that you would be paying for that extra edge in SQ will only be wasted if you use mp3's .. even the 320bit rate ones.... as that extra edge which an original CD gives you is what you get by paying that extra money....
Old 13th July 2007, 11:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Also while the car is running I think it will be a quite difficult or I would say it will be impossible to tell the difference between the Audio CD and a good 320 bit rate MP3 playing when there is road noise , outside ambient noise and lots of other noises to disturb the whole listening environment.
Ya Right... Haha haha hah haha... Seriously though, I can tell the difference. So can many others.
Old 13th July 2007, 11:51   #5
BHPian

if im right ..the music on a audio CD is on 1440Bit rates..at least when you copy it as a wav... it can be between 1000-1400.... An yes you CAN tell the difference between 320 and and an audio cd..quite easily... try it through a pair of good head phones ....not ear buds.. btw im no audiophile..( i dont possess a music system at home )..apart from an Ipod and a pair of senns...

Last edited by sk456 : 13th July 2007 at 11:56.
Old 13th July 2007, 12:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
btw im no audiophile..( i dont possess a music system at home )..apart from an Ipod and a pair of senns...
SK whatever gave you the impression that you had to own a fancy system to be an audiophile. You are an audiophile.
Old 13th July 2007, 12:27   #7
BHPian

oh crap....im doomed..
Old 13th July 2007, 12:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

gunman, i think LBM is referring to a situation like this:

ghar mein biwi se subah subah chik chik, kids poor report card, frustated with the job, open car windows, TS20s, 3K alpine amp, rattling, vibrations (i.e. no damping), chee chaa, oye saale dekh ke chal, sale marega kya... yeh sale rickshewale.... meri gaadi hi mili thi kya marne ke liye B**d, coupled with medium quality HU, playing MP3 disc.

In general this is the situation that is faced by the masses on a daily basis including myself and IMHO he is pretty true that one cant figure out the difference in this kinda situations.

Yes, one can pretty much tell the difference in a controlled environment and/or in a company of serious audiophiles like yourself.

Last edited by panky12345 : 13th July 2007 at 12:51.
Old 13th July 2007, 13:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Ya Right... Haha haha hah haha... Seriously though, I can tell the difference. So can many others.
Sir Ji tushe great ho. Car to state a few.

But I am a mortal like many other in this forum.

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 13th July 2007 at 13:49.
Old 13th July 2007, 13:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
try it through a pair of good head phones ...
Sir Ji we are talking about car envoirment that to on a busy road with lots of ambient noises. Not in a home with Good Audiophile CD player with Good Audiophile Amplifier and with Good Audiophile Headphone. One can easily tell.
Old 13th July 2007, 14:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
gunman, i think LBM is referring to a situation like this:

ghar mein biwi se subah subah chik chik, kids poor report card, frustated with the job, open car windows, TS20s, 3K alpine amp, rattling, vibrations (i.e. no damping), chee chaa, oye saale dekh ke chal, sale marega kya... yeh sale rickshewale.... meri gaadi hi mili thi kya marne ke liye B**d, coupled with medium quality HU, playing MP3 disc.

In general this is the situation that is faced by the masses on a daily basis including myself and IMHO he is pretty true that one cant figure out the difference in this kinda situations.

Yes, one can pretty much tell the difference in a controlled environment and/or in a company of serious audiophiles like yourself.
Thank Panky yaar this is what I was trying to say but some people dont understand my point easily.
Old 13th July 2007, 14:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Sir Ji tushe great ho. Car to state a few.
There are more of those who can than those who cant. Why, most can easily tell the difference between a 320kbps CBR MP3 rip and a Q98 VBR WMA rip. Ask aZa, Hellie etc. That too on their systems, not mine.
Old 13th July 2007, 14:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post

Cmon, that example is a bit exaggerated. Are those sources of noise going to be omnipresent? Will there be no quiet, silent moments in your car, ever? Its not about WHEN you can tell the difference, but about WHETHER you can tell at all.

It's like saying that just because you drive your car in traffic, you wont be able to tell the difference between a petrol engine or a diesel engine in the same car. Would you need to be on the highway to tell the difference?

I am not arguing the need for MP3. I am just saying you CAN easily tell the difference. And NO there is no need of MP3 on High End HUs in my opinion.

Last edited by gunbir : 13th July 2007 at 14:35.
Old 13th July 2007, 14:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are more of those who can than those who cant. Why, most can easily tell the difference between a 320kbps CBR MP3 rip and a Q98 VBR WMA rip. Ask aZa, Hellie etc. That too on their systems, not mine.
in a busy Delhi traffic can they which they encounter in most of there journey.

Quote:
Cmon, that example is a bit exaggerated. Are those sources of noise going to be omnipresent? Will there be no quiet, silent moments in your car, ever? Its not about WHEN you can tell the difference, but about WHETHER you can tell at all.

It's like saying that just because you drive your car in traffic, you wont be able to tell the difference between a petrol engine or a diesel engine in the same car. Would you need to be on the highway to tell the difference?

I am not arguing the need for MP3. I am just saying you CAN easily tell the difference. And NO there is no need of MP3 on High End HUs in my opinion.
And do you find silent place to listen to your setup. I dont think so. So be a bit practical about it. Panky did not exaggerated a bit he told a real life example. Yes there will be silent movement in the car that will be when you are parked it at some place like your home. But I think people used to drive in car and that to on roads which have other vehicles also.

And we are not discussing engines here. so I think they dont fit in the example here. this is like comparing FM with CD.

Having a MP3 in a High end unit will be a feature not a necessary thing..if it is there then it is a good then if not then never mind.

End of discussion.
Old 13th July 2007, 14:48   #15
BHPian

gunbir paaji you are absolutely on the spot.its easy to differenciate between a mp3 and an orignal cd.lbm if you remember i once played INXS 'need you tonight' in your car through the orignal cd and the very next moment you played the same track through your IPO.the difference was like 'day and night'.
thers no way mp3 can be compared to the orignals cd.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks