Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2007, 13:27   #31
Senior - BHPian

I do think Audio cd's have a better quality but if its something from t-series, I am better off with an mp3.
Old 14th July 2007, 16:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

Well the point is, those of us who want and afford these high end units already have them. And the ones who are arguing the need for MP3 in such units dont intend buying one of the above units.

If they really did, they would know that there ARE a few such units that have MP3 capability.

The Panasonic CQ-TX5500, which we have.

and the Alpine CDA-7998

And if they really wanted this combination of high end SQ CD + MP3, they would already own one of these units. Which they don't!

Last edited by GTO : 16th July 2007 at 09:26. Reason: Watch the language
Old 15th July 2007, 12:04   #33

So please top being a female dog about it.[/quote]

no need to get abusive dude! don't be so desperate, just to prove a point. I too have a amazing install in my omni van with bolton speakers and a sony head unit which i recently bought from bhagirath palace,but thats besides the point , no body gives a dyam! what you have and what you posses its just an opinion what people want here so stop blinging until you have 26's on a hummer with spinners.
please stop caring what we want and what we have and please comment why not to add a feature which is available in a inferior model of the same brand in a high end head unit its just like for example if in esteem lx there are normal tube tyres but in the vx model it has tube less tyres then please comment why should suzuki give an extra tyre it should have just 4 tires and in case of an emergency when one of your tyre goes bust and u need an extra tyre (similar to the condition when you desperately want to hear a old mp3 file of "london boys" which you found accidentally in a friends laptop) what do you do?
Old 15th July 2007, 12:28   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Well the point is, those of us who want and afford these high end units already have them. And the ones who are arguing the need for MP3 in such units dont intend buying one of the above units.
It may be true that most of us cant afford the high end units (even the 2 your posted above). I did hear the 7998 before I plonked money down for the 9833 and 9835 and while there was a difference I could not justify the expense to myself.

I am not one who would risk playing his orignal CDs in the car and risk having them damaged anyway, for my car I make copies using a Marantz DR6000. Pretty decent copies if one uses good blanks (only Music CD blanks work).

BTW we were talking about the MX-406, HX-D2, DCT-Z1, CD-700MKII, K-CD01 etc... do the Alpine and the Panasonic units you cited compare to these?
Old 15th July 2007, 12:42   #35
Senior - BHPian

Off Topic:The Panasonic HU looks so classic and old skool style i am in love with it,any idea Gunbir Paaji how much is it?PM would do a better job.

Cheers,

Ramie
Old 15th July 2007, 16:12   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Also while the car is running I think it will be a quite difficult or I would say it will be impossible to tell the difference between the Audio CD and a good 320 bit rate MP3 playing when there is road noise , outside ambient noise and lots of other noises to disturb the whole listening environment.
Guys was off this thread as I had not asked the question in a wrong and incomplete manner..

thanks to this thread I am doing it again.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...r-english.html

firstly let me calrify some points before posting the my question again.

1) I agree that there is differnce in CD and MP3 playback on a simple setup.

2) I agree that Audio CD is a very good source of sound reproduction. But there are some more like SACD , DVD- Audio...

3) Good Audiophile listen to Audio CD and get the best Hardware to play it.

So everything Apart. let me ask my question.

"If I ask somebody to sit in my CAR and I play a track , can one tell that what is playing Audio CD or a 320 KPS MP3 ??"
Old 15th July 2007, 16:17   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn9ne View Post
for example if in esteem lx there are normal tube tyres but in the vx model it has tube less tyres then please comment why should suzuki give an extra tyre it should have just 4 tires and in case of an emergency when one of your tyre goes bust and u need an extra tyre
For your kind information there are "High End" cars which are sold today with just 4 "Run Flat" tyres and no spare wheel.

Its stupid of a customer to walk in BMW showroom and ask for a spare wheel, similarly a customer after taking a demo of high end Mark Levinson, Krell, Boulder CD Player asks the rep "Does it play MP3".

Last edited by Autophile : 15th July 2007 at 16:30.
Old 15th July 2007, 16:26   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
For your kind information there are "High End" cars which are sold today with just 4 "Run Flat" tyres and no spare wheel.

for your info when in your high end car out of all the 4 tyres that you have one goes bust your story doesn't end there you can go on to the tyre shop and get it repaired/replaced. But, as soon as you feel the urge to listen to a mp3 cd in your car which has a high end hu which doesn't play mp3 your story ends then and there.
Old 15th July 2007, 16:28   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
BTW we were talking about the MX-406, HX-D2, DCT-Z1, CD-700MKII, K-CD01 etc... do the Alpine and the Panasonic units you cited compare to these?
Yes of course Panasonic is one of the top 3 SQ units today. Now out of production because of the limited availability of GE tubes used in its preamp. Panasonic B Tube came as a surprise to us, no doubt is an amazing sounding unit.

Alpine 7998 was one gem of a unit by Alpine, amazing SQ and lot of features. Though was expensive but worth it in its time.

To be able to judge the difference between sound quality of source units you need to have good quality associated equipment like amplifiers, cables & speakers.
Old 15th July 2007, 16:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
...buy a Wadia or Mark Levinson CD player at home. Guess what? Those don't play MP3 either and have trouble with cheap CD-Rs!!
Can you believe the fact that the Lexicon 3.25 lac DVD player cannot play Rs.100/- pirated DVDs properly. It's not designed to do that.
So tell me, in a market where you can buy a Big Brand DVD player for Rs.3000/- that plays everything but Rotis, why would anyone pay 3.25L for a DVD player that has trouble with MP3 and pirated DVDs?
Because when you put in your original DVD/ Audio CD, that's where the difference is apparent. That's what you're paying for.
If you remember, I had pointed this out to you over a year ago. What's to stop manufacturers from incorporating run-of-the-mill features in their highest end products? Is it that tough to have a player that plays original DVDs with a great degree of accuracy, but can also read pirated CDs? For 3.25 lakhs, or over USD 8000, I'm sure they can manage it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post

Its stupid of a customer to walk in BMW showroom and ask for a spare wheel...
No, it's stupid of BMW to sell such cars, more so in India. A RFT will only run a limited distance, that too on marble-smooth autobahns. Imagine you have set out from Bangalore to Mumbai, and 500 km into your journey, you blow a tyre. No roadside mech can either fix your tyre, and nor can you buy one on the spot. And, of course, you cannot drive 500 km on so-so roads with your tyres that are only guaranteed for 60 miles without air.

What do you tell such a customer? Sorry, but you're stupid for buying a BMW?!
Old 15th July 2007, 16:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn9ne View Post

no need to get abusive dude! don't be so desperate, just to prove a point. I too have a amazing install in my omni van with bolton speakers and a sony head unit which i recently bought from bhagirath palace,but thats besides the point , no body gives a dyam! what you have and what you posses its just an opinion what people want here so stop blinging until you have 26's on a hummer with spinners.

please stop caring what we want and what we have and please comment why not to add a feature which is available in a inferior model of the same brand in a high end head unit its just like for example if in esteem lx there are normal tube tyres but in the vx model it has tube less tyres then please comment why should suzuki give an extra tyre it should have just 4 tires and in case of an emergency when one of your tyre goes bust and u need an extra tyre (similar to the condition when you desperately want to hear a old mp3 file of "london boys" which you found accidentally in a friends laptop) what do you do?
First off... London Boys... hahahahah... Thanks for awakening a long forgotten memory.

your questions have already been answered here by us. Please read our posts again and repeat till you get it.

Last edited by navin : 15th July 2007 at 17:35.
Old 15th July 2007, 17:00   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
If you remember, I had pointed this out to you over a year ago. What's to stop manufacturers from incorporating run-of-the-mill features in their highest end products? Is it that tough to have a player that plays original DVDs with a great degree of accuracy, but can also read pirated CDs? For 3.25 lakhs, or over USD 8000, I'm sure they can manage it.
There are always compromises made in high performance products. For the same reasons a Ferrari F40 has no door lining, carpets, electric windows, stereo etc. To quote Jeremy Clarkson, "I have been in more sumptuous police cells than this".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Off Topic:The Panasonic HU looks so classic and old skool style i am in love with it,any idea Gunbir Paaji how much is it?PM would do a better job.
Ramie its for 40K or so... very difficult to find one anymore.

Last edited by gunbir : 15th July 2007 at 17:03.
Old 15th July 2007, 17:05   #43

Quote:
First off... London Boys... hahahahah... Thanks for awakening a long forgotten memory.

your questions have already been answered here by us. Please read our posts again and repeat till you get it.
as far as i knew London boys were musicians not stand up comedians, and no my question has not been answered yet,so sir! please read my questions again and again till you can give me or think of an answer.
Old 15th July 2007, 17:08   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are always compromises made in high performance products. For the same reasons a Ferrari F40 has no door lining, carpets, electric windows, stereo etc. To quote Jeremy Clarkson, "I have been in more sumptuous police cells than this".
The Ferrari F40 was meant to be a track car, nothing more. That's why it had none of those. Someone who can afford an F40 will use it only as such, and his daily drive would be a Phantom or something. But, like navin said, you cannot put too many HUs in your car.

Is there a real, technical reason? Personally, I think it's just the unjustified arrogance of a manufacturer. Much like a Ferrari, which is often bested around a track by other cheaper, more VFM cars.
Old 15th July 2007, 17:14   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I

No, it's stupid of BMW to sell such cars, more so in India. A RFT will only run a limited distance, that too on marble-smooth autobahns. Imagine you have set out from Bangalore to Mumbai, and 500 km into your journey, you blow a tyre. No roadside mech can either fix your tyre, and nor can you buy one on the spot. And, of course, you cannot drive 500 km on so-so roads with your tyres that are only guaranteed for 60 miles without air.

What do you tell such a customer? Sorry, but you're stupid for buying a BMW?!
They don't have an option of sparewheel...Do they? If that worries the customer so much then he should look at Mercedes or Audi. BMW does not even have sparewheel wells.

Even the Mercedes SLK's, SL350/500's, 55AMG comes with space saver spare wheels. So the people who are buying these cars are not hellbent on having sparewheels because they are buying the car for different use and application than a normal family car.

Same way a person buying Mark Levinson or any other high end player does not care whether it plays MP3 or not because his preferences and requirements are different from the one who is buying Rs 6000 DVD/CD/MP3/Divx/WMA player.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks