Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2007, 00:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Is that a Santro?
I thought Jk had only 1 JBL ported box sub. He has another one hidden also?

@KPzen! Thanks for sharing the pics bro!
Its too small to be a JBL box
Old 21st August 2007, 00:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Is that a Santro?
I thought Jk had only 1 JBL ported box sub. He has another one hidden also?
Yes its the silver Xing which is normally seen in Kowdiar.
Old 21st August 2007, 08:47   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

ooohh, that makes my hair stand KPzen. What poor soul drives around with THAT!
Old 21st August 2007, 09:49   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Budget limitations dictate that we work with whatever is available in SP Lane in Bangalore - anything from Philips, Bolton, Dainty, whatever.

Amp would be a good old 2N3055-based 5-channel job - SKD.?
See if can get some Peerless India drivers (esp their 25cm and 15cm woofers) and maybe a philips dome tweeter. there were available in Mumbai last time i checked. Since it is HT your friend can get 2 10" woofers, 5 5" woofers and 5 tweeters.

For the amp consider what Vivek is building. It is based on MJEs and Vivek got a very good price on these. I would say 5 x 50W rms + 1 x 200W rms would be adequate.
Old 21st August 2007, 10:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Sealed, Ported, Bruised and battered

I think you should send it in for an Elisa test.
Old 24th August 2007, 02:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

ok GURUS 1 question

Most of you know that ported boxes in Chandigarh are not of perfect size so its better to opt for SEALED. Now my question is will sealed 2 JBL sealed will be able to make enough bass to make the car a BASS MACHINE ?
Old 24th August 2007, 09:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

2 boxes? And you would be using 601.1?
Old 24th August 2007, 15:29   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
ok GURUS 1 question

Most of you know that ported boxes in Chandigarh are not of perfect size so its better to opt for SEALED. Now my question is will sealed 2 JBL sealed will be able to make enough bass to make the car a BASS MACHINE ?

go for 2 JBLs in custom ported boxes (as per specs, we all can help you prepare one), go for dampening () the boot and doors, opt for 601.1 and be ready for the Bass Machine. (check with amit_sound, hes having a similar setup but with 15" i guess).
Old 19th November 2007, 11:31   #39
Senior - BHPian

WHY GO PORTED?

Why Go Ported?
Old 19th November 2007, 22:56   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
WHY GO PORTED?

Why Go Ported?
and why not !!

The Subwoofer DIY Page - Car Audio

:-)
Old 6th April 2011, 09:54   #41
BHPian

Ported versus Sealed Subwoofers

Dear Friends,

Have finally decided to get the subwoofer (JBL Amp and 12" JBL Woofer) for my Altis but am unable to deide whether to go ported or sealed.

I listen to music (All kinds) at relatively low volumes and want quality bass.

Pl advise.

Regards,

druberoi
Old 6th April 2011, 10:25   #42
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ported versus Sealed Subwoofers

Posted subs are usually larger but are also more efficient (they produce more acoustical output for every electrical watt consumed). Designing a ported sub can only be done WELL if your have tools to measure the T/S specs of the woofer. A design based on published specs might not be accurate however some design correction can be done by tuning the lenght of the port (easier than changing the diameter of the port).

Sealed subs are usually smaller and less efficient but they they are also easier to tune and designing a sealed box sub is easier as sealed boxes are more tolerant of variations in T/S specs.

In the end you can get great results with either. Sealed boxes are just easier.
Old 6th April 2011, 12:06   #43
BHPian

Ported boxes also result in large excursion below Fs. In some applications, you may need a filter to protect the woofer.

For a woofer in the right Qts range, a sealed box will yield a lower F10 (lower frequency reproduction) than an optimised ported box. The ported box will be louder for sure, and have a seemingly larger quantity of bass but the sealed will probably have slightly better definition.

Sealed boxes also have much better impulse response.

In the end it comes down to your preference At lower volumes a sealed box may be lacking in quantity of bass, at higher volumes a ported box may quickly overwhelm a small cabin.

Good Luck.
Old 6th April 2011, 12:49   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post

In the end it comes down to your preference At lower volumes a sealed box may be lacking in quantity of bass, at higher volumes a ported box may quickly overwhelm a small cabin.

Good Luck.
Wow! That does not make any thing clearer. I am talking about ready made company designed subs. So no tuning required from my end. Both tubes and sealed JBL enclosures are available. Which is better?

BTW: I am to go to Driven in an hour for the install and the expert there says go for the sealed box. Have been given a costing of near 18000/- for the JBL Amp + Sub with box + Highpass filter for the stock system + wiring and fitment charges.

I have been told that sealed subs require more power. Do you think I would be getting a decent system in the above configuration? Or do I spend more money to up the Amp; maybe a rockford monoblock? Or do I just stay in the budget and go ported which will be fine with the amp provided in the said budget.

Come on Gurus. Throw some light to your faithfull. LBM, Gunbir, Sam ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Posted subs are usually larger but are also more efficient (they produce more acoustical output for every electrical watt consumed). Designing a ported sub can only be done WELL if your have tools to measure the T/S specs of the woofer. A design based on published specs might not be accurate however some design correction can be done by tuning the lenght of the port (easier than changing the diameter of the port).

Sealed subs are usually smaller and less efficient but they they are also easier to tune and designing a sealed box sub is easier as sealed boxes are more tolerant of variations in T/S specs.

In the end you can get great results with either. Sealed boxes are just easier.
I am talking of the ready made factory fitted stuff here. I dont know anything of tuning. However I see all home systems being ported and tend to feel the same should be applicable here too.

Last edited by navin : 6th April 2011 at 13:28. Reason: two posts posted within a short time.
Old 6th April 2011, 13:31   #45
Team-BHP Support

If you are looking a a reday made box I'd take a sealed box over a ported tube sub. All things remaining equal (driver, tuning, etc..) the ported tube sub will have more quantity of bass the sealed sub will have better quality of bass. This is not to say that a well designed ported box sub (not tube) cant have good quality bass if designed and tuned correctly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks