Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2011, 14:32   #46
BHPian

Re: Ported versus Sealed Subwoofers

Having used both, I would prefer sealed. Bass is more accurate and tight if given the right amout of power to the sub.

You can audition both and see for yourself what suits your taste of music.
Old 6th April 2011, 14:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druberoi View Post
Wow! That does not make any thing clearer. I am talking about ready made company designed subs. So no tuning required from my end. Both tubes and sealed JBL enclosures are available. Which is better?
What is your definition of better? I find a ported enclosure better suited to my needs while a lot of bhpians prefer a sealed enclosure.

I'd suggest listen to a few of your favourite tracks with the subs in both sealed and ported enclosures and only that can help you in your decision. (unless you are willing to go by recommendations, in which case you should put up a poll )

A lot of people say that sealed is clean and tighter but may be a ported enclosure is clean/tight enough for me while it may not be for you.
Old 7th April 2011, 09:07   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
If you are looking a a reday made box I'd take a sealed box over a ported tube sub. All things remaining equal (driver, tuning, etc..) the ported tube sub will have more quantity of bass the sealed sub will have better quality of bass.
Thank you so much for your kind advice. I have gone ahead with the instal as recommended. The guys at Driven installed a Kenwood monoblock Amp with a sealed 12" JBL sub woofer for my vehicle. Its sounding as good as it probably gets in the twenty I spent on the kit.

I would also like to commend Driven for their professionalism. Mr Rana is a thorough gentleman.

BTW: I liked your Unite D... signature line.
Old 7th April 2011, 11:05   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BTW: I liked your Unite D... signature line.
OT: I am Dyslexic. But that it the topic of another forum.
Old 7th April 2011, 11:29   #50
BHPian

Quote:
OT: I am Dyslexic. But that it the topic of another forum.
So are many other famous personalities. Starting with the one and only Richard Branson, Julian Lennon, Tom Cruize, Robbie Williams. Amazing potential. Did you know that recent studies are all linking Dyslxia with increased creativity? Rather "hyper creativity" as they call it.

Regards,

Dr R S Uberoi / druberoi
Old 7th April 2011, 16:58   #51
BHPian

Quote:
I have gone ahead with the instal as recommended. The guys at Driven installed a Kenwood monoblock Amp with a sealed 12" JBL sub woofer for my vehicle. Its sounding as good as it probably gets in the twenty I spent on the kit.
Well friends, no one seems to have any comments on the combination. Is it a good choice. I was actually looking for a JBL monoblock but I was told this Kenwood 600W is more powerful for driving the sub.

Rgds,
druberoi
Old 8th April 2011, 00:05   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The guys at Driven installed a Kenwood monoblock Amp with a sealed 12" JBL sub woofer for my vehicle. Its sounding as good as it probably gets in the twenty I spent on the kit.
Since the amp and sub were already installed and you were happy with the sound I did not comment on it. But the Kenwood-JBL combo is very common on TBHP.

...and no I did not know that Dyslexia is related to creativity. I dont think my "creativity" is above average anyway.

Last edited by navin : 8th April 2011 at 00:07.
Old 8th April 2011, 09:16   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Since the amp and sub were already installed and you were happy with the sound I did not comment on it. But the Kenwood-JBL combo is very common on TBHP.

...and no I did not know that Dyslexia is related to creativity. I dont think my "creativity" is above average anyway.
WIth your kind of knowledge base; you are underscoring yourself, my friend. I have seen your posts and with more than 15000 posts under your belt, each post is truely befitting the thread / question. Unlike many posts we get to see here. The potential is certainly there; maybe you are just being modest.

BELIEVE!

Regards,
druberoi

PS: And thanks for your comment on the JBL Kenwood combination.

Last edited by druberoi : 8th April 2011 at 09:18.
Old 8th April 2011, 14:08   #54

Re: sealed or ported.which one for you??

I just found avery clean explanation with pictures of Sealed vs Ported. Also found is another type - a Bandpass box - never seen one but seems to be quite costly

Sealed Vs Ported Subwoofer Boxes
Old 15th April 2011, 23:00   #55
BHPian

have a Wagon R with 6 X 9 clarion speakers on the rear parcel tray.These speakers were earlier installed in my palio and gave very good sound.But in the wagon R they sound like crap.The HU is alpine 9846E.Is it due to leakage from the boot to the cabin ?
And would making a box for the speakers help ?
I have a design in mind >

What do the you all suggest ? Or any modifications i need to in this box ?
I basically plan to make 2 individual boxes for the speakers and fit them on the parcel tray itself.

Last edited by k2max6 : 15th April 2011 at 23:01.
Old 16th April 2011, 09:54   #56
Senior - BHPian

@k2max6:
1. Check the wiring - maybe the speakers are wired out of phase. That is, in one the + is connected to the speaker's +, and in the other to the -. If so, the bass will cancel out and it will sound terrible
2. The 6x9 speakers are meant to be mounted on the parcel shelf without boxes

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks