Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2007, 13:20   #1
BHPian

fm modulator/cd changer to connect ipod?

hey guys!

I want to connect an 80Gb iPod to the factory fitted Kenwood cassette player in my Esteem VXi. This head unit has no aux in, and I don't want to use the cassette adapter or the wireless FM transmitter.

The decision has finally boiled down to 2 options:
1) Use a wired FM modulator, something which fits between the HU and the antenna. I believe the quality of this will be better than the above 2 rejected options. Has anyone used this and can they share their experiences regarding this?
Scosche FM-MOD01 Modulator Play your iPod, satellite radio tuner, or other portable music player through any FM car stereo at Crutchfield.com

2) This unit has the option of adding a CD changer. Is there any way in which I can connect the ipod using the cd changer interface?
Googling resulted in the following results:
PIONEER CD-RB10 AUX - Connect iPOD to your STEREO on eBay, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (item 130144378714 end time 26-Aug-07 17:20:28 BST)
usa spec PA11-NIS nissan infinity ipod interface

Which of the above 2 would be a better option when it comes to SQ, VFM and availability? This is more of a stop-go arrangement for the next few months before I collect some money for my dream HU!!
Regarding availability, I am based at Pune right now - where can I get either of the 2 above in Pune(preferably) or Mumbai? and the estimate prices?

Thanks,
FE
Old 21st August 2007, 15:26   #2
BHPian

The Scosche modulator appears to be your best option. I have the Pioneer cable, but that only works with Pioneer HU, and it does not permit you to use a CD-changer, since it plugs into that input.
It looks like the Scosche permits you to use the radio also simultaneously.
You can also transfer this set-up to any other HU that you may purchase in future.
Let us know how it works.
Old 21st August 2007, 15:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

using an FM modulator would result in degrading the SQ all the way. its VFM for sure though.
Old 21st August 2007, 15:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi Fatal error,

If your Head unit has a CD changer input, you may very well use the second option.

P.S:
I see that you had created a similar thread here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...-ipod-ice.html

I know it is a different car and different setup, but IMO, this is more of a DIY.
Old 21st August 2007, 15:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
The Scosche modulator appears to be your best option. I have the Pioneer cable, but that only works with Pioneer HU, and it does not permit you to use a CD-changer, since it plugs into that input.
It looks like the Scosche permits you to use the radio also simultaneously.
You can also transfer this set-up to any other HU that you may purchase in future.
Let us know how it works.
The Scosche modulator was just something I came across online. Do u guys have any clue where I might get it in India.
I dont have a CD Changer and I wont be adding one either. I meant that the head unit has an option of adding a CD Changer
Old 21st August 2007, 16:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
using an FM modulator would result in degrading the SQ all the way. its VFM for sure though.
I just hope its better than the wireless FM or the cassette adaptor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Hi Fatal error,

If your Head unit has a CD changer input, you may very well use the second option.

P.S:
I see that you had created a similar thread here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...-ipod-ice.html

I know it is a different car and different setup, but IMO, this is more of a DIY.
hey raghu..You have any clue from where I can procure such a cable..to connect using the CD changer?

Its not really DIY coz i might not be installing this on my own.
The other thread was more about the best way to connect my ipod with a new HU. Things have changed now that I don't want to change my HU and these are the options I have (which were never discussed earlier)
Old 21st August 2007, 18:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATAL3RROR View Post
hey raghu..You have any clue from where I can procure such a cable..to connect using the CD changer?
Just noticed that the cable you're talking about is specific to Pioneer HUs.

But you could try these links, if they match your HU's requirement.

Kenwood CA-C1AUX Auxiliary input adapter with female RCA connectors at Crutchfield.com

Kenwood CA-C2AX Auxiliary input adapter with a miniplug connector at Crutchfield.com

The CA-C1AUX is supposed to be compatible with all Kenwood head units that have "type 1" or "type 2" CD changer control. Please refer to your user's manual.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 21st August 2007 at 18:47.
Old 21st August 2007, 19:28   #8
BHPian

what is the model number of the HU. Check if the Kenwood cable indicated by rocksterraghu fits it (speak to Maruti and ask them to check with the supplier).
How to get it? a relative coming from the US, or even, last resort, buy it on-line and get it shipped, you should not have to pay much of customs duty.
Old 23rd August 2007, 15:27   #9
BHPian

I think the second cable CA-C2AX is the way to go...all that they say about compatibility is that "Plugs directly into the input of the CD changer connector (1999 Kenwoods head units onwards)"

So i guess it should fit into mine..im ready to take the chance and get it..

but the problem is getting it here..any idea guys where i can get it in india?

kenwood india site has the CA-C1AUX cable (Kenwood Corporation | Car Electroics | Accessories) which should also work for me..

any leads to buying it wud be appreciated!
Old 23rd August 2007, 20:39   #10
BHPian

Since the kenwood India site mentions it, it also mentions the following dealers for Pune:

BHANDARI CAR ACCY. 1187/27 ,Bhagirathi Corner,Bhutte Patil Building,Pune,Maharashtra 020 - 553 5323, 553 3427, M 9822097547 DURGA CAR ACCESSORIES Pandale Chamber BajiRao Opp. Telephone Bhawan Pune 4460555 CHOUHAN MOTORS Near MIDC Post Office Sholapur 9422067339 PUNE MOTORS Lyoy East Street Behind Corporation Bank Pune 2026333881

Call them and make sure it's the exact match for your system.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks