Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2007, 12:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Some more DB Drag

Just came across this article , thought I should share it,

180.5 dB From a Single Subwoofer
September 5, 2007 by Lukas Gilkey

On August 31st the bar was set just a bit higher in dB Drag competition. Alan Dante set the new record at 180.5dB with a single subwoofer. Let me say that again... WITH A SINGLE SUBWOOFER.

Wow. Alan Dante's concrete filled Volvo is louder than dynamite, jet engines, gunfire, NASA rockets and pretty much any sound you can imagine for that matter.

The 180.5 score was done with a Digital Designs 9918Z subwoofer receiving 26,000 watts of power from four Stetsom 7KD amplifiers. Fifteen Powermaster 16 volt batteries were used as well. Rumor has it that the setup is good for at least another decibel, so expect to possibly see an even higher number in the near future.

Source: Audio Junkies > Latest News
Old 6th September 2007, 12:47   #2
Team-BHP Support

Something similar done by a Ground Zero sub 178db:

Palio Monster

Ground Zero
Old 6th September 2007, 12:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

The concept of both the vehicles could be the same.
Old 6th September 2007, 13:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

That is one-and-half times the sound required to cause permanent hearing impairment!

These SPL people are insane. I mean, 180+??? With just one sub??? These guys are totally out of their minds!
Old 6th September 2007, 13:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

@blueraven: THIS IS CHEATING!

You just showed LBM a new way to go! LBM, my friend.... go ahead with buying these and no issues you can throw all those steg and IDs to me.
Old 6th September 2007, 13:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
These SPL people are insane. I mean, 180+??? With just one sub??? These guys are totally out of their minds!
I think not. But producing 180 db from a single sub is really a great job done. A true engineering feat.
Old 6th September 2007, 13:13   #7
Team-BHP Support

It sure aint music.
Old 6th September 2007, 13:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
You just showed LBM a new way to go! LBM, my friend.... go ahead with buying these
Quote:
I think I need to stop now till I get what I want
LBM bhai, have you got what you wanted, atleast now? Or are you humming U2's "I still haven't found what I'm looking for....." even after looking at this?

Just kidding LBM bhai, I know you're not the SPL types.

EDIT: Just saw your post LBM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I think not. But producing 180 db from a single sub is really a great job done. A true engineering feat.
Maybe. Or maybe I am too stupid to understand something like this. I would not call something destructive and of no practical use as 'true engineering feat'. If a car does 350km/hr and better aerodynamics take it to 360km/hr, I would still respect it even if it has no practical value - since it hardly matters and someone buying the car would be able to enjoy it at say, 200 km/hr. But a sub that can blow your ears off? I'm sorry LBM bhai, but I have to disagree with you here.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 6th September 2007 at 13:21.
Old 6th September 2007, 13:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
It sure aint music.
Sure sir...they use sine waves to get max efficiency from the setup.
Old 6th September 2007, 13:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
But a sub that can blow your ears off? I'm sorry LBM bhai, but I have to disagree with you here.

Sir I am trying to say here that the sub is not only doing the job. The design of the enclosure, vehicle acoustics, and lots of calculation, and at which the whole setup gives the max output.

Also who says to sit in the car when the sub is playing.
Old 6th September 2007, 21:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Sir I am trying to say here that the sub is not only doing the job. The design of the enclosure, vehicle acoustics, and lots of calculation, and at which the whole setup gives the max output.

Also who says to sit in the car when the sub is playing.
Yep! that car is obviously not for music, in Monster category the compettitor is not supposed to sit in the vehicle, at those DB levels ear plugs wont help. And yes acheiving anything above 160 DB is a feat, let alone 180 DB with one sub, hats off to the guys who did it, it's no easy job. We have built couple of DB drag setups, and know what it takes, we try to do things in whatever small way we do and that itself is a lot of effort and time. Practicality , music etc. whatever is not even discussion on this.
Have you seen anyone take out one of the land speed record jet engine cars from the Salt plains to the streets.
Old 6th September 2007, 23:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
Yep! that car is obviously not for music, in Monster category the compettitor is not supposed to sit in the vehicle, at those DB levels ear plugs wont help. And yes acheiving anything above 160 DB is a feat, let alone 180 DB with one sub, hats off to the guys who did it, it's no easy job. We have built couple of DB drag setups, and know what it takes, we try to do things in whatever small way we do and that itself is a lot of effort and time. Practicality , music etc. whatever is not even discussion on this.
Have you seen anyone take out one of the land speed record jet engine cars from the Salt plains to the streets.
I agree to you sir, These install are no joke a lots of time and effort to make this type of install. And this type of install is not for daily use.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks